Going solo

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Twoflower

Nomad
May 11, 2007
Northants
Mostly go by myself, don't have many people to go with.
I just spent a week on the Isle of Wight wandering around camping by myself .. nothing like your own thoughts to scare you late at night!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
They both have their ups and downs, and I guess solo camping requires a certain self-reliance and independence of mind that some might find difficult. But I agree with the old Bill Mason quote about how nobody who's ever tried it would need to ask why you would travel alone.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Until I found BCUK :beerchug: :grouphug: I always went out alone (must've been my feet). I just didn't realise how many others were interested in spending time doing the same as me.

Since I began moving within the group I've been out much more with others, but still like the solitude of being on my tod, making my own decisions, etc.

I was chatting to a collegue the other day about it and he said he'd get very lonely out on his own. I told him 'You just have to like your own company...and I'm a pretty nice guy.'

Well, it got a laugh.;)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
I stay out loads with with my bushcrafty buddies, but if I want to practise skills or learn new ones I tend to go out on my own because I achieve more.........and I don't get hangovers......:D

Long Stride

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2006
Dundee
Always seem to end up going out on my own.

It has its advantages

no one to worry about,
time to think,
can change plans/routes easily,
anything goes wrong its my fault,
and no one sees you when you fall in a muddy ditch or get stuck on a barbed wire fence :)

Spent my 40th birthday at the start of the month out on my own under tarp - for me thats more enjoyable than downing 20 pints of Heavy and getting carried home.

Long Stride

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
A bit of both for me....I like being in small groups of say 3 to 5 people but I'm also happy with large meets.

I spent the week before the WEISS course totally alone with a canoe in the Swedish nature and had the most woderfully relaxing time I can remember for ages......actualy if I'm honest (and you might want to stop reading here if you've just eaten) I spent most of the week naked :eek: It was so blooming hot and I though what the heck, good enough for cavemen....good enough for me. Had to cover up later at midge o'clock though :puppy_dog

I heartily recomend people to go out on their own, even if just overnight but even better for a weekend or longer.

Cheers,

Bam. :D

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
I spent the week before the WEISS course totally alone with a canoe in the Swedish nature and had the most woderfully relaxing time I can remember for ages......actualy if I'm honest (and you might want to stop reading here if you've just eaten) I spent most of the week naked :eek: It was so blooming hot and I though what the heck, good enough for cavemen....good enough for me. Had to cover up later at midge o'clock though :puppy_dog

I just ate, but fortunately, you didn't supply any pictures of you on your course :D

Gailainne

Life Member
<snip>I spent the week before the WEISS course totally alone with a canoe in the Swedish nature and had the most woderfully relaxing time I can remember for ages<snip>Bam. :D

I can attest he was alone, when he got back he talked non stop for 2 hrs :yikes:

To answer the question, I prefer my own company most of the time, but I do enjoy the odd meeting, course. Most of the people here and on other forums, are well worth meeting, a pleasure to spend time with.

Stephen

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Being in a group is great, but sometimes the group dynamic can detract.
For example, if you're meeting up with folk you haven't seen for a while, you can spend a lot of time catching up, talking about stuff, comparing new shineys etc.....

Going out on yout tod allows you to focus 100&#37; on what you're up to.

Plus its just nice to only have to worry about yourself and rely on yourself.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Got to say like going out with mates as I can usually learn a lot from them, as well as the company.Although got to say even if we are really quiet I never get to see as much wildlife as when I'm on my own. (Noise?)
Now not tackled sleeping out on my own but will be done this summer, which I am a little nervous about and before you suggest a big dog....only got access to a border collie cross jack russell who we now found has got a dicky ticker:eek: God zooks the stress might do us both in.
Dave

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I,m always out on my own as there is nobody really around my neck of the woods that is interested in bushcraft,plus if there was i work weekends anyway,so its a catch22.
I do like the odd meet ups that we,ve had in the past( Loch Achray),as its always good to catch up with people on here and share a dram and a natter.

My good lady calls me a big grumpy fuxxer from xxxx and I spend all day, most days, working with very challenging people so I like to go solo a lot of the time or take my good lady. More recently I've been known to go along with the odd buddy to share some time, experiences and chat with. All my budddies are odd in their own way so it's quite cool! I don't suffer fools gladly so I guess I find it more relaxing with people I know and the older I get there are fewer people I want to share my time with! However, I'd really like to meet up with some of you guys here on BCUK as I'm amazed at all your experiences and skills, it inspires me.:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE