going feral

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...hi for some time i longed to live free from money and all that comes with it....any adive for me would be welcomed..."

Good luck.

Be prepared for misery, but there will be good times too. The important thing is to have the backbone and tenacity to work your way through the rough patches. The 'moneyless man' mentioned earlier, had a plan to walk to India, he gave up at Calais which isn't particularly inspirational.

Siberianfury's posts about his time living in the woods are well worth a read, he obviously had a good time however he also had companions. Some people can live without human company but they are the exception, we are a social animal and trying to live without human contact will take its toll.

Keep yourself and your gear clean, wash thoroughly every day.

You should give some thought to yomperalex's suggestion of finding some of the grid communities to work in through the year. Apart from getting away from a computer screen and seeing a bit of the world you will learn a great deal, meet lots of good people, some of whom will be able to help you with your plans.

:)

Last edited:

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
You might want to start this thing a bit more slowly. A few years back I joined WWOOF International (google it for their site).

I ended up on a self sufficient farm up in the Pyranees Orientale - totally off grid for all utilities, run by a mad Luddite, a half hour trek from the nearest single track.

It was slightly medieval. Very tough going but enjoyable.

There are a lot of similar "eccentrics" with similar farms around the whole of that area always welcoming volunteers - could be a useful way of gaining the life experiences you are seeking.

Alex

I've been looking at the UK WWOOF website over the last couple of weeks myself, giving it some thought...

http://www.wwoof.org.uk/

Something interesting to do over the summer if naught else :)

Hun7er

Jun 14, 2009
Harrogate
I second the WWOOF comment, I think to get by in the UK with no money just foraging for food with be extremely difficult, try the WWOOFing and hike from one farm to another this summer to get an idea of how hard things might be but bare in mind in the winter they will be little foraging to do, and you can't carry enought around with you to last for 4 months, will be very tricky but good luck all the same

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
As Bearbait mentioned, an option might be to get a bike. This will give you mobility. You could move from area to area following harvest work, etc, or just cycle to areas where there is more woodland where survival is easier. Europe is a pretty big place, and seeing as we're in the EU, you wouldn't have visa or residence issues. Many people tour the world on bikes, getting by with either a little money, or working fruit picking and the like. There's a German, Heinz Stuck, who's been doing pretty much continuously since 1962.
Bike touring/wild camping is much more acceptable to the general public than being homeless. Society's acceptance might not be high up on your list, but it does make for an easier life. you are much less likely to be run off someone's land if you're perceived as an adventurer rather than just a "vagrant" (society's assumption, not mine).
I've spent the winter putting together a bike and equipment for a potential long trip, and all you need, really is a hobo stove, sleeping bag, roll mat, tent or tarp, and clothes. As bear bait said, a trailer is good for slinging everything in. I remember seeing a German near the Rhein doing just that. At a push you can get everything in a couple of dry bags strapped to a front and rear rack.
In fact, there are a couple of Americas doing something similar, and addressing similar issues, here:

http://www.americarecycled.org/2010/12/notes-from-the-road/

They do another interesting video on their blog about a group of people living off grid. It's about two thirds the way down the page, entitled Montana House, an urban homestead:
http://www.americarecycled.org/

And loads of great info here:
http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/47-Touring

And if you're worried about the expense, it can be done good and cheap - second hand charity shop bike, even an old three speed, which you could probably pick up for £20. Heinz Stucke's bike is a three speed.
Hell, if you live anywhere near me, I could probably put you one together for free from bits and bats. PM me if you're interested, I'm in Manchester, btw.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...as we're in the EU, you wouldn't have visa or residence issues.

That isn't strictly true, as long as your not staying in the same place for a prolonged period you will be fine, however more than a few months you may have some (or a lot of) paperwork to work through. Some proof that you can fund your existence is often required. Check the local laws wherever you are.

There's a German, Heinz Stuck, who's been doing pretty much continuously since 1962.

Thanks for name, he is worth look. :)

Hope Bourne was indeed a remarkable woman, however I wonder how well she'd have managed these days, ignoring the hurdles involved with possessing both shotgun and .22 rifle, living in a ramshackle caravan on a ruined farm would have the council knocking at her door in no time. :(

Last edited:
Not wanting to cast a shadow on your dream but is this really possible? This is survival rather than hunter gathering. Our ancestors who formed and lived in communities found it hard enough and they were able to draw from a much less populated and cultivated land. Even coupled with their incredible intuition and connectedness to their environment they began cultivating plants to try to insure some reliable food supply. We now have very little 'natural' space that could support a human being in perpetuity. As others have eluded to the legal ramifications unfortunately seem prohibitive and the cost to your mental health and wellbeing if you are not fully pepared could be dangerous.

I just finished 'The Wild Life' where the author lived for a whole year on wild food, it was a good read, but the guy obviously had money, a supportive family, a warm bed to share and two guns... and his own land! Even then it took most of his waking hours along with a good knowledge of foraging, going out rain or shine, to scrabble enough food together to survive. His challenge was just food.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
if you cant get permission or your on the move make sure your discrete about it, ive had a couple of occasions where land owners and even police have had somthing to say about my wild shrafting. choose a secluded location with no trails within idealy 100 yards, dog walkers will usualy stick to the paths but you do get the occasional one who will venture off the path.
some of them dont take too kindly to the presence of a camp and may call the authoritys.

i have found the most usefull tool to have in this situation is a large knife.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....ive had a couple of occasions where land owners and even police have had somthing to say about my wild shrafting.........i have found the most usefull tool to have in this situation is a large knife.

really? i can see that large knife would be good to worsen the situation/frighten little old ladies/get you locked up/give bushcrafters a really bad name etc. what do you find it useful for in that kind of situation?

stuart

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Got to say I agree with Stanleythecat. I would say you are in for a very difficult time in doing this, as has been said, our ancestors found it hard enough working in communities and with families to share daily chores and tasks, you will have to do everything yourself. I use to think, "wow one of these days I'm gonna rebel against the system and live free and happy without any bills, taxes blah blah.." but then I realised I would actually be a lot less happier than I am with a warm home to come back to, my family & friends around me and knowing that I have money coming in from a job to pay for the next months food, drink etc.

I personally want to keep the outdoors as a place I can go to get enjoyment, relax and also sometimes to escape from any worries that are bothering me. That could mean weeks away from time to time on backpacking and bushcraft trips but I know that if I were to try and actually survive and make a life in the wild it would totally ruin the whole idea of "the great outdoors" (however nice it would be to give a big f**k you to the system..).

That said, good luck to you, I do hope you find what you are looking for! I've also checked out WWOOF and been very tempted by it in the past, I'd recommend checking there as well.

comeonbabylightmyfire

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 3, 2010
London
Crikey, it's the kind of romantic notion I dreamed about when I was much younger. A combination of laziness and pragmatism prevented it from becoming a reality. It sounds a bit of nightmare to me now. However I have every admiration for what you're doing and you have youth on your side so stamina and tenacity should see you through. Good luck.

Gotte

Nomad
Oct 9, 2010
Here and there
That isn't strictly true, as long as your not staying in the same place for a prolonged period you will be fine, however more than a few months you may have some (or a lot of) paperwork to work through. Some proof that you can fund your existence is often required. Check the local laws wherever you are.

Actually, you're right. I just did a quick google and it turns out you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU, but not retire or reside without occupation unless you've got enough money to provide for yourself, orhave worked previously in that country. You can seek work in any EU country, for a period upto about 6 months. But, given the ease of movement in the EU and the lack of border control, you could just keep moving, which is the good thing about touring on a bike.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
Vegetable wise you are ok with one of those pocket size "food for free" books.
Meat may be a problem, various snaring and trapping methods can be learned from "the hunting life" forum and made using natural materials with hardly any tools. But the big problem would be gaining permission to do this continuosely, with big sentences and fines for poaching.

I suppose you could use flint cutting tools to avoid knife laws?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I have never come across a tramp yet who lives in the countryside and lives off the land. Have you?

the 'ring road tramp'. google him, he lived in the woods for like 50 years after being a prisoner of war when he was young, one day he gave up his job and just dissapeard from society. quite a sad story, but a good one to contemplate. he was found dead a few years ago by the social services whod occasionally check on him.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Vegetable wise you are ok with one of those pocket size "food for free" books.
Meat may be a problem, various snaring and trapping methods can be learned from "the hunting life" forum and made using natural materials with hardly any tools. But the big problem would be gaining permission to do this continuosely, with big sentences and fines for poaching.

I suppose you could use flint cutting tools to avoid knife laws?

if u get caught and sent down you are sorted for food and water then ? lol

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm fascinated by this desire to live "free from money and all that comes with it".

Should we assume that you will not be using the NHS if sick, the police if robbed, the roads, litter bins, public toilets etc.? All those things are paid for by the taxes of hard working people and I'm sure that it is not your intention to simply have a long holiday mooching off others? Similarly I suppose you will not be hunting on or gathering from lands that you do not own or have have permission to be on...as that again is not "living free from money" its simply stealing from those who have worked for it.

I would love to hear more about how you plan to live, what you will do if injured or sick etc.

Red

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Some fair points there Red .

nothing much is for free these days , either you have to pay or someone else has to pay for you !

Craig..................

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I'm fascinated by this desire to live "free from money and all that comes with it".

Should we assume that you will not be using the NHS if sick, the police if robbed, the roads, litter bins, public toilets etc.? All those things are paid for by the taxes of hard working people and I'm sure that it is not your intention to simply have a long holiday mooching off others? Similarly I suppose you will not be hunting on or gathering from lands that you do not own or have have permission to be on...as that again is not "living free from money" its simply stealing from those who have worked for it.

I would love to hear more about how you plan to live, what you will do if injured or sick etc.

Red

Nothing like a little encouragement! :)

Surely as hunter gatherers we should have the right to use some land somewhere should we not wish to conform? Have you ever wondered why we all like the outdoors so much? Maybe it's a genetic thing?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE