Going camping up north Brecon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I went camping last weekend up Llyn Brianne with a tarp/basha and just a sleeping bag and a insulated mat. Now I'm going camping up North Brecon and now it's much colder and I want to stay warm, I wear my Magnum Amazon army boots with NATO thermal wool socks, so my feet are always warm, but How can I keep my upper body warm, I'll be making a bed out of spruce and laying some spare clothes on it, anyway how can I stay warm, also it's going to be in a cave, so I think it'l get cold, but my friend told me caves stay at a constant temp of 16oC.

How do I stay warm? I'll also have a fire in the cave.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Be careful lighting fires in a cave it could cause the rock to become unstable.

This cave is nicknamed camp cave it's full of silica, there is a small vent and a "living room" it's also got a window. So it going to be okay as the CO (Carbon Monoxide) will be vented safely. And no problems will occur as coal mines has alot of methane that could explode, so it's good.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Yeah I have a roll mat, I'll be using the roll mat if I'm in the cave or spruce if I'm not in the cave.

It's a belgian sleeping bag that is meant to go with the bivi but I didn't buy the bivi. I just don't want be cold.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Buy a bivy and you won't get cold if your sleeping bag is up to the job. This time of year night temps can go down below freezing so make sure you have the right equipment. As your not using a tent I would suggest a bivy bag is required without a doubt.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Just come back from a weekend trip in Brecon after climbing Corn Du, Pen Y Fan & Cribyn, there was a promise of a frost on Thursday night which didnt happen and Friday was fairly cloudy so a moderately warm night. Was only using a tent and artic bag

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Got back earlier this morning, went to sleep lastnight at 23:30, slept about half an hour and just laid in the shelter until sunrise, I heard very heavy artillery and an own, no sleep, other than that I was warm but was a little damp(didn't prepare well and forgot roll mat), and woke up to rain, I like the rain. I'm off to bed now as I've tried my best to stay awake just to keep my sleeping pattern right, otherwise I would have went to bed when I got home (10:00).

My friend gave a sleeping bag, it's lovely and warm. Belgian army issue I think, brand new.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I was warm but I was kept awake by an Owl and some very very loud guns. It was artillery as Brecon has a testing range.

And you were damp, should have taken a bivy bag. Don't push your luck and do it again with the weather getting colder. They say hypothermia is a pleasant way of shaking off this mortal coil but I am sure its something you don't fancy experiencing.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
And you were damp, should have taken a bivy bag. Don't push your luck and do it again with the weather getting colder. They say hypothermia is a pleasant way of shaking off this mortal coil but I am sure its something you don't fancy experiencing.

Sorry was me being stupid, I'll buy a bivi bag only £8.

Jun 12, 2011
Nr Brecon
I went camping last weekend up Llyn Brianne with a tarp/basha and just a sleeping bag and a insulated mat. Now I'm going camping up North Brecon and now it's much colder and I want to stay warm, I wear my Magnum Amazon army boots with NATO thermal wool socks, so my feet are always warm, but How can I keep my upper body warm, I'll be making a bed out of spruce and laying some spare clothes on it, anyway how can I stay warm, also it's going to be in a cave, so I think it'l get cold, but my friend told me caves stay at a constant temp of 16oC.

How do I stay warm? I'll also have a fire in the cave.

Could you give me an idea of where you were camping? If you were in earshot of the Sennybridge training range that probably means I could walk there from home.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE