Getting Gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

mjk3k

im just starting out, im only 17 know most of the skills of fire starting *im not a arisnist, im a fire fighter by trade :p* i was wondering what sort of kit i should get ...

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
MJK3K,
About the most important piece of kit you could buy is a knife - a Frosts Mora for example should only cost a few pounds, great for starting out and experienced folk alike. The rest of your gear can be improvised from many other sources so don't feel that there is a definative list of "must haves" just to call yourself a Bushcrafter, after all, the ultimate aim is to do without mass-produced equipment totally.

ATB

Ogri the trog

jamesoconnor

Nomad
Jul 19, 2005
Hamilton, lanarkshire
Ogri the trog said:
The rest of your gear can be improvised from many other sources so don't feel that there is a definative list of "must haves" just to call yourself a Bushcrafter, after all, the ultimate aim is to do without mass-produced equipment totally.

ATB

Ogri the trog

really well said!
regards
james

M

mjk3k

thanks for that guys . i know its about improvising and stuff i just wanted to know if there was gear people felt they needed to carry . i have a good knife that was given to me by my gradfather who worked in the woods i love it cuts well. i have been learning how to use it properly

thanks

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Something to keep the rain off (sleeping and walking wise)
Something to sleep in
something sharp
something to start a fire
something to carry it all in

and it doesn't have to cost the earth

build on that, that's what I did. A few uncomfortable, but memorable nights to start off with, then you can decide what's right for you.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
If you've already got a suitable knife then I'd say as a bare minimum if your sleeping out, and don't want to spend hours building a suitable shelter, then a tarp, bivi bag and sleeping bag suitable for the season your out in is all the kit you REALLY need to be able to have a comfortable and enjoyable nights sleep, You could even do without the tarp if the weather is good.

Other than that a firesteel or another method or two or making a fire, a water bottle and some grub. :D

The rest just makes life that little bit more comfortable/easy. :D :rolleyes:

Oh and although they aren't absolutely necessary (there are alternatives in the wild)..I'd recommend carrying a basic First Aid Kit and stuff to keep yourself clean (Biodegradable preferable)

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
yes i now have a knife and therfore i need a first aid kit
will a small one be ok as i dont want to be lugging a huge one around

M

mjk3k

got my first aid, got the sleeping bag, were can i get a tarp from ?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Leon b - a small FAK is what most people carry and is definately better than nothing. Get one, have a look at the contents, then you can add things to it as you see fit. Things like scissors and tweezers are often missing but are really usefull for instance.

Tarps wise Magickelly is doing a group buy on some really good ones in the Group Buy section... Or you can go to the local camping/ army surplus shop and get a cheaper one. Just make sure it's way longer than you are (at least 2.5m, preferably at lot more) to make sure each end doesn't get wet !

Cheers

Mark

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
alright i have seen some good fak at tescos
what ever is missing i will just add in
thanks for your help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE