Gathering enough food to live off the land for a year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mmm... not quite the same objectives; Knepp always planned on selling the 'meat'.
Just so. They raise meat by culling and eating grazing animals and keeping stocking densities low. I think it's self evident that farming meat on permanent pasture is vastly more beneficial to wildlife than intensive arable farming. Pasture and meadows supports trees, wildflowers, more hedgerows etc. Vegetable centric farming generally involves monoculture farming, heavy use of herbicides & pesticides. One forms the basis for ecosystem diversity and the other actively eliminates biodiversity. Low density rewilding is very similar ecologically to low intensity mixed farming.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Shortly after the horse meat scandal in processed foods in the UK I went to a pub in London selling horse burgers. I tried it to see what it was like and it was lovely I also realised I’d eaten horse before.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Horse, bison, cougar, lynx, bobcat, wolf, white tail, elk, mule deer, black bear, grizzly bear. There's lots of 4-foot meat here. Plenty on the wing, too.
Test yourself and your thinking: Shut off your electricity for the winter.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Camping is what it says it can be. Once the forest gardens are planted, time to uproot every thing (house boards) and head for the summer camp on the coast. Time to tend and harvest the clam/oyster/mussel cultivated beaches, according to family territory. Dry and smoke to preserve for the coming winter.
The salmon runs begin with the catchment pools for spearing.
The needs are known. Takes along time to catch enough.

My point is that there are harvest times for harvest valuable food things. Don't miss it. Understand completely the preservation methods tried and true, for thousands of years.

Reactions: 1 pot hunter

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Right now, I am carving a pair of Tlingit Pacific Halibut fish hooks. They are engineered to catch halibut 30-100 lbs. They roll the fish over on their backs to become quite docile. This is technology of a thousand years.

I have one hook finished. When I get a little farther on #2, I'll post pictures like you can find in a west coast museum.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE