Gathering enough food to live off the land for a year

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I think it’s possible iff u catch 200 mackerel off a boat in summer shoot a large red stag ,and procure some sweet chestnut flour what do you guys think.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sadly not. Do the calorific maths. You need at least 2000 kcals per day just to stay living (let alone hunting, walking, etc.) - a single reasonable sized mackerel will give you 1000 kcals - so, at least 2 a day - much more if you are active.

Your diet cannot be overly high on protein either. Then, on top of your cals and proteins, you need vitamins.

This table is based on needing 3000 kcals per day min:food calorific value.jpg

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Sadly not. Do the calorific maths. You need at least 2000 kcals per day just to stay living (let alone hunting, walking, etc.) - a single reasonable sized mackerel will give you 1000 kcals - so, at least 2 a day - much more if you are active.

Your diet cannot be overly high on protein either. Then, on top of your cals and proteins, you need vitamins.

This table is based on needing 3000 kcals per day min:View attachment 76775
So 600 mackerel wich is doable a stag and 50kg off chestnut flour maybe? Iv read 100kg off chestnut flour, can keep a man going thru a harsh winter wich is 1 trees worth this is purely hypothetical but interesting .

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You need to widen your resources I think. Otherwise one bad fishing season and you're dead.
To hunt and fish, and to butcher, etc., you'll need more than 2000 calories a day.
100kgs of chestnut flour is a tremendous amount of labour.

There's a reason folks took to farming.

Look up guerilla gardening :) it's amazing how well spuds can crop in a field edge, or how many ways you can quietly build up a seasonal round of foods.
It's storing it that becomes the issue. Vermin and weevils will love your stored chestnut flour unles you stash in modern containers.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
You need to widen your resources I think. Otherwise one bad fishing season and you're dead.
To hunt and fish, and to butcher, etc., you'll need more than 2000 calories a day.
100kgs of chestnut flour is a tremendous amount of labour.

There's a reason folks took to farming.

Look up guerilla gardening :) it's amazing how well spuds can crop in a field edge, or how many ways you can quietly build up a seasonal round of foods.
It's storing it that becomes the issue. Vermin and weevils will love your stored chestnut flour unles you stash in modern containers.
I’m not in a tribe was thinking buying chestnut flour and doing the rest once I get a fac certificate

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I think you should get off the computer and try everything you are posting.
Obviously I’m not in a tribe so I’d buy the chestnut flour n do the rest once Iv got a fac certificate Iv fished all my life and hunted a lot so would be a interesting experiment I’m not claiming I’d be successsfull either

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think if you're buying it by the 100kg, I'd be looking for some variety myself :)

Instant spuds don't weigh a lot, until you add water ....and ordinary wheat flour makes an awful lot of good food, and an awful lot more reasonably priced than chestnut flour.

I'm a good vegetarian, I really like my fruit, veg and a wide range of nuts and grains. I buy a lot of them. Chestnut flour works out at about £100 for 10kgs, so around a thousand for 100kgs

I'd look for more variety, tbh.

M

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I think if you're buying it by the 100kg, I'd be looking for some variety myself :)

Instant spuds don't weigh a lot, until you add water ....and ordinary wheat flour makes an awful lot of good food, and an awful lot more reasonably priced than chestnut flour.

I'm a good vegetarian, I really like my fruit, veg and a wide range of nuts and grains. I buy a lot of them. Chestnut flour works out at about £100 for 10kgs, so around a thousand for 100kgs

I'd look for more variety, tbh.

M
Yeh I wanted a wild food experiment to see the health benefits morso than living off the land actually ,it sure is interesting.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Try it for a fortnight. Guaranteed you'll be scunnered of chestnuts by the end of a month though.

I think the seasonal round is kind of hardwired into us still. I think we need variety. More than just the physical need but there's a kind of emotional/ mental need for changing seasonality. Maybe I'm just biased though :dunno:

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Try it for a fortnight. Guaranteed you'll be scunnered of chestnuts by the end of a month though.

I think the seasonal round is kind of hardwired into us still. I think we need variety. More than just the physical need but there's a kind of emotional/ mental need for changing seasonality. Maybe I'm just biased though :dunno:
Iv made porridge from dried plantain seeds before I’m convinced it contains starch but I need to fast for 2 days then try it to be sure .

Reactions: Toddy

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Chestnuts in my area are very small this year. A whole afternoons gathering from one tree gave me an unshelled weight of only 3lb 9oz. Take the hard shells off and it will be much less
I'd have to walk 20 miles to get to the coast, and I can guarantee I won't catch a mackerel from the beach. I might be lucky to get a few on a modern day trip boat with fish sonar.
Stags a plenty round here but the bailiffs are hot as hell!
I can find hazel nuts, blueberries(or wortleberries), wild raspberries, bramble, and strawberries, in season, ditto wild garlic sorrel and other greens.
I have a lot of area, and have to walk a long way sometimes for very little return. I'm lucky with a very productive area....I'd still starve!

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
Chestnuts in my area are very small this year. A whole afternoons gathering from one tree gave me an unshelled weight of only 3lb 9oz. Take the hard shells off and it will be much less
I'd have to walk 20 miles to get to the coast, and I can guarantee I won't catch a mackerel from the beach. I might be lucky to get a few on a modern day trip boat with fish sonar.
Stags a plenty round here but the bailiffs are hot as hell!
I can find hazel nuts, blueberries(or wortleberries), wild raspberries, bramble, and strawberries, in season, ditto wild garlic sorrel and other greens.
I have a lot of area, and have to walk a long way sometimes for very little return. I'm lucky with a very productive area....I'd still starve!
I’m not in a tribe So is I’d buy chestnut flour I’d catch mackerel off a charter boat wich is very effective I’d also pay to shoot a stag it’s just a experiment I thought off.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I’m not in a tribe So is I’d buy chestnut flour I’d catch mackerel off a charter boat wich is very effective I’d also pay to shoot a stag it’s just a experiment I thought off.

I'd be tempted to buy the flour, tinned mackerel, and the venison from my local butcher. Save energy and calories! :)
If you are buying the four, how many hours work to earn the money to pay for it...calories expended as well as cash. Pay for the boat....ditto. pay to shoot a stag.....ditto. you'd be out of cash and calories pretty soon.

Reactions: Big Si and Toddy

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
My nearest butcher is several miles away whereas deer regularly walk through our garden. The beech is also closer than a fishmonger and if I can swap hazel for chestnuts I'm halfway there.

However, people often seem to leave out the more abundant but more mundane food sources, what about the humble garden snail or a nice limpet? Plenty of those about.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
I'd be tempted to buy the flour, tinned mackerel, and the venison from my local butcher. Save energy and calories! :)
If you are buying the four, how many hours work to earn the money to pay for it...calories expended as well as cash. Pay for the boat....ditto. pay to shoot a stag.....ditto. you'd be out of cash and calories pretty soon.
Charter boats are cheap in summer Iv figured out all the costs I have no kids or resp it’s doable in theory.

1 pot hunter

Banned
Oct 24, 2022
Sheffield
My nearest butcher is several miles away whereas deer regularly walk through our garden. The beech is also closer than a fishmonger and if I can swap hazel for chestnuts I'm halfway there.

However, people often seem to leave out the more abundant but more mundane food sources, what about the humble garden snail or a nice limpet? Plenty of those about.
Exactly I love limpits aswell I eat them raw

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE