Galloway Forest Glen Trool / Loch Dee - Picture Heavy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Otley, nr Leeds, Yorkshire
Quick report on a trip I made this weekend, learned a few lessons along the way.

I went to an area I know fairly well, this having been the third trip out in the last few years. I went further than usual though and started off differently.

Plan was to leave Otley in Leeds after work about 1715, drive the 4 hours to my jumping off point, walk the 4.5 miles in to the first nights bivvy in the dark and then continue my trip from there. I arrived in good time, around 2100, it was very dark by this stage. I parked somewhere near to the Water of Minnoch in a car park that is actually marked on the OS maps, I don't like giving out specifics on public websites, PM me if you'd like to know more, but there are plenty of hints about the area in the report and pictures. After spending about 15 minutes checking gear and getting ready I set off to find the Southern Upland Way (SUW) which I would follow into the bivvy site. This was not my first time on the SUW and I knew it was well signposted and easy to follow..... in the day anyway. Lesson one, night navigation is much more difficult that day navigation.

I had planned this section of my route using the OS online service 'get a map', transferred my route to my GPS, printed my maps off and had a full 25K in my bergen. In the dark it was still hard to find the trail. The amount of storm damage didn't help, when I followed the same route back later in the weekend I struggled to see the trail in the day at some points. I loved the night walk in and will make it a regular feature of my trips out from now on. The sound of deer pounding through the river in the dark was immense. Also the sense of peace and stillness nighttime brings really helped me tune into my surroundings. Anyway, I didn't make too bad time, arriving at first bivvy 2315. As I walked in I saw one other tarp which surprised me. I then also saw another fire burning in the distance but didn't approach to see who it might be. I guess I probably freaked a few people out bashing around that late!

My plan was to use a 3m x 3m DD Hammocks tarp, without the hammock as shelter. This was the first time I'd erected the tarp in anger and it had no guy or ridge lines attached. I was happy to have practiced my knots in the week before leaving, a good refresher that served me well. No matter how practised I get I always double check I still remember them well enough before setting off. Lesson two, knowing your knots really well saves a lot of hassle putting up gear in the dark. I put the ridgeline up using a Siberian hitch, slippery but with the free end passed through the loop to secure it and a truckers hitch to make it taught. First time using the truckers hitch, worked really well, easy to tie, plenty taught and importantly I find it easier to tie off than the knot with no name that Ray uses. Knocked up four quick tent pegs with notches and tapered ends and used taught line hitches on the guys. I managed a quick brew on the honey stove before settling in. I'm glad I brought the stove, I almost left it behind to save the weight.

1_First_Night_Bivvy_Drink.jpg

I originally thought I'd get away purely using a fire but the honey stove was really useful for quick brews throughout the weekend. I won't leave it behind again, although I may look at a smaller wood burning stove.

After that I crashed and happily slept until 0830 the next day. That is a lie in for me, I usually rise about 0630. I did wake up briefly a couple of times during the night but fell back asleep really quickly.

Saturday morning, first job was a brew of cowboy coffee. I need my joe in the morning and I drink it black so nice and easy to brew. I have no problem with supping the odd grind so don't bother filtering or anything.

2_Morning_Cowboy_Coffee.jpg

Next I double checked the tarp, not too shabby considering the conditions I was working in.

3_Morning_Tarp.jpg

4_Morning_Tarp_2.jpg

I love the extra space a large tarp gives. Ground dwelling is back top of my list, I swing between the Hennessy Hammock and the floor. The Hennessy just doesn't give me a large enough living space. I may think of combining the larger tarp with the hammock in future, try and get the best of both worlds. But probably only in warm weather, I find hammock camping quite cold and have to carry extra gear to be comfortable. Extra gear is extra weight and I like to tramp about a bit....

I opened the front out using some cut poles.

5_Morning_Tarp_Open.jpg

I was running low on length on the guy lines though and had run out of paracord, lesson three, fix your guy and ridge lines before setting off. I had to use a slip knot for the two front guy lines.

7_Slip_Knot.jpg

8_Adjustable_Slippery_Guy_Line_Kont.jpg

Slippery taught line hitch (above) on the other guylines.

9_Notched_Tent_Pegs.jpg

Notched pegs (above).

I decided I couldn't sit around all day and would take the planned hike out to Loch Dee. So I stripped down the camp using 'leave no trace' principles.

10_Cleared_Bivvy.jpg

The bivvy site was located on a well known disused campsite.

11_Disused_Camp_Site.jpg

The paths through the woods to Loch Dee provided a good walk with plenty to see. I think the walk was 4 / 5 miles one way but will need to check my GPS data.

12_Walk_Towards_Loch_Dee.jpg

There was lots of storm damage with trees covering the trail.

13_Downed_Tree.jpg

I found a great hammock spot, shame I didn't have it with me.

14_Perfect_Hammock_Spot.jpg

Someone else had probably had the same idea, looking at the fire scar.

15_Fire_Scar_Loch_Trool.jpg

A nice picture of Glen Trool.

16_Loch_Trool.jpg

The east end of the Glen Trool.

17_Loch_Trool_2.jpg

I came across a full sized family tent in the valley before the path up to Loch Dee. I think they may have been pitched next to a bothy.

18_Full_Sized_Tent.jpg

Noise was of kids giggling and having a good time, which was nice to see / hear.

I continued up towards Loch Dee, coming across one of the 7stanes.

22_7stanes.jpg

Loch Dee in the distance.

23_Loch_Dee.jpg

I got stared down.

24_Stared_Down.jpg

The island in the middle of Loch Dee looked good for a pitch but I didn't have my canoe and the water looked cold....

25_Loch_Dee_Island.jpg

Loch Dee was stunning, the wind was howling and place just felt really wild and raw.

26_Loch_Dee_stunning.jpg

I had thought about setting up bivvy for Saturday night in the tree line around Loch Dee. When I got there I found out the trees were all pine, deep pine needle litter is nice on the back but bad for fire risk. Also the area was quite bleak and I really fancied a more comfortable bivvy. If I'd taken more care with my route planning I'd have noticed the high elevation and likelihood of wind. Another lesson learned.

Can anyone tell me what these are?

27_Unkown_Art.jpg

Local art?

I decided to walk back down to the Glen Trool area.

A lot of the SUW in this area has been turned into cycle paths, bushcraft on a bike? Interesting thought.

29_Cycle_Paths.jpg

Lots more storm damage.

30_Storm_Damage.jpg

The wind was absolutely howling at this point, I might upload some video I shot later.

31_Glen_Trool_East_End.jpg

On the way down a ran out of water. I'd brought an in-line filter with me which I attached to my hydration bladder. As I was doing so I heard it rattling and upon inspection noticed the seal that holds the filter in place had expired. I then began to worry that the filter wouldn't do its job. I had little choice though. I selected a water source high in the hills with no evidence of humans or farming. I have contacted the filter supplier but yet to hear back.

My second bivvy.

33_Second_Bivvy.jpg

Next to the river, no midges though, too much wind.

34_View_From_Bivvy.jpg

Plenty of headroom this time.

35_Good_Head_Room.jpg

On my way back down I passed a group of kids walking up, maybe 14 or 15 years old, perhaps Scouts or DofE. I think these were the ones who had the fire in the night before, I'd seen quite a big tent being used. Next to the river I cam across a horrible find, a human turd wrapped in tissue paper. That water source is done for a while.

I spent a few happy hours creating a comfortable camp.

36_Hanging_Pot.jpg

On reflection I was probably too close to the trees, although I went back to bare earth for the fire site and went through the usual precautions when clearing up. There were lots of fire scars scattered around this area, I was determined not to add another.

37_Hanging_Pot_Support.jpg

38_Hanging_Pot_Support_2.jpg

39_Pot_Notches.jpg

40_Pot_Joint.jpg

41_Supporting_Mug.jpg

Fire started, time to get a brew on.

42_Fire_Started.jpg

43_Mug_Hanging.jpg

44_Notch_2.jpg

45_Mug_Hanging_2.jpg

Campfire bacon.

46_Camp_Fire_Bacon.jpg

Followed by dehydrated mince and vegs, tastes better than it looks. I had been rehydrating it since arriving though, 2 hours at least.

47_Dehydrated_Mince_And_Veg.jpg

Getting dark, time to break out the flask...

48_Stool_And_Whiskey.jpg

I had an ok nights sleep, work up a few times though, needing to adjust my lay. I'm going to post an overview of the kit I used separately later.

Sunday morning.

50_Morning.jpg

I tried burning the fire dogs off before bed but still a few to dispose of.

60_Fire_Scar.jpg

Honey stove got another outing for more cowboy coffee.

61_Cowboy_Coffee.jpg

Cleaned the fire scar up and hosed it down with plenty of water.

62_Fire_Scar_1.jpg

63_Fire_Scar_2.jpg

I used Siberian hitches to attach the guylines, making it easy if I wanted to remove them later. I always hank the extra cord as well.

64_Guy_Lines.jpg

Prusik holding the tarp taught on the ridgeline.

65_Prusik.jpg

Truckers hitch, slippery but tied off.

66_Slippery_Taught_Line_Hitch.jpg

Siberian hitch.

67_Evenk.jpg

Ready to set off, again leave no trace.

68_Leave_No_Trace.jpg

The reverse trip out was nice to do in daylight!

69_Car_Bound.jpg

Feeling pretty good. :)

70_Feeling_Good.jpg

Following the Water of Minnoch along the SUW.

71_Water_Of_Minnoch.jpg

Haha, I remember stumbling down here in the dark.

72_Car_Bound_2.jpg

A nice looking bothy with smoke rising from the stack, must be someone home.

73_Bothy.jpg

No wonder I lost the trail a few times walking in in the dark, I had trouble working out which way to go in the light at some points.

75_Night_Navigation.jpg

There's a deer somewhere in this picture....

76_Deer.jpg

On the home straight.

78_Home_Straight.jpg

Getting closer.

79_Near_Car_Park.jpg

Thankful the car is still in one piece...

81_Car_Still_In_One_Piece.jpg

Some kit pictures.

82_Kit_Laid_Out.jpg

83_Kit_Laid_Out_2.jpg

84_Kit_Laid_Out_3.jpg

I plan on updating the 'load out' thread with my revised kit, weights etc soon.

Food, this deserves a post of its own due to the difficulties of maintaining by primal diet on the trail.

Scotland_Food.jpg

Anyway, thats all for now. Great trip, loved it and will go back soon.

Cheers

Rich

Last edited:

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
So, food wise:

1 - Dates, organic about x 8 for snacking, great source of nutrients and natural energy
2 - Peperami, not strictly Primal compliant because of the preservatives but ingredient wise ok, good source of protein and fats
3 - Tuna, canned in brine not oil, didn't eat these, should have left behind as at 200g each they were heavy
4 - Saucisson, dried sausage, this one is primal compliant, great source of protein and fats, no refrigeration needed
5 - Coconut cream, again heavy and not used but would have been great with the dried fruit for dessert, heavy in good fats again
6 - Homemade trail mix, includes several different types of nuts, fruits dried at home, desiccated coconut and dried apricots store bought
7 - Bacon, enough said, I have eaten loads of times after 24 hours no refrigeration, look for cured to be safer but don't blame me if you do get ill!
8 - Homemade trail mix, as above
9 - Dehydrated veggies including a whole onion, two peppers, courgette and tomatoes, essential for nutrients and taste
10 - Olive oil, another not used
11 - Home made lambs mince scotch eggs, for Sat b'fast, again not suitable for long term carry as they need refrigeration, I didn't carry the container
12 - Kabanos for snacking but again should have been refrigerated
13 - Dehydrated mince, should have taken a half portion, if you have a home dehydrator and want the method PM me or just google it
14 - Trail mix, as above
15 - Dehydrated fruit including a punnet of strawberries, full manago, full apple essential for nutrients and energy
16 - Home made jerky

I'm always surprised at how little I eat considering the amount of energy I must be using. This was the first time catering for a primal diet as well. Everything worked as expected, mince and veggies Saturday night was awesome, glad the mince had a long soak to rehydrate though. Another win was the trail mix, I didn't need three though. Jerky is good but could of lived with a third, same with fruit. Saucisson was great, my go to meal. 2.8 kg in total though! Ouch.

2.5 litres of water and brew kit with ground coffee and peppermint tea made up the rest of the consumables. Nearly 5.5 kg in food and water is a lot, I could of cut the food in half, lesson learnt. Water is a problem for me though, I consume a lot and still get dehydrated easily. Over 7.5 litres consumed in around 48 hours, including that which I used for re-hydration purposes.

My day to day diet (not a 'diet' as such but just how I eat) demands high nutrient content and low GI foods, quite difficult to satisfy without refrigeration and quite a bit of weight.

Thanks

Rich

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I love reading/seeing these trips makes me envious of the area and wish I lived closer to Scotland, fantastic report, great pics.

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Great TR!

It must be nice to see Trool without the midges.

Haha, yep, sure was, there were a few around but they couldn't get off the ground due to the wind which was just immense. :) Nearly got blown off my feet up at Loch Dee, nearer Glen Trool was calmer but still a breeze, just right to keep the little blighters from flying.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice write up, thanks for making the effort and very well done with your camp cleaning.

I have a 3 x 3 DD tarp and the way I pitch it is to have carabiners already in the ridge loops, as well as the tensioning loops.

The roof line goes up and then in seconds the tarp is on and taut. I find it less cumbersome and less likely to tangle the cords before I need them.

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
Excellent! Your water usage seems OK though (you mention you consume a lot), 3 litres a day hydration for adult males is what is (often/usually?) quoted as being healthy. Plus you were active.

lonefish

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2011
Nice write up, thanks for making the effort and very well done with your camp cleaning.

I have a 3 x 3 DD tarp and the way I pitch it is to have carabiners already in the ridge loops, as well as the tensioning loops.

The roof line goes up and then in seconds the tarp is on and taut. I find it less cumbersome and less likely to tangle the cords before I need them.

That's a really good idea, thank you, I'll try it. :) I realised I now need more practice taking it down than putting it up! Like you say, everything gets tangled too easily. So you store the ridgeline separate right? Do you use the floor for rolling the tarp up rather than on the line? I usually end up on the floor anyway now. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE