gaining permission, advise please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I sent an e-mail to my local council woodlands officer and he found me somewhere.

Might be worth a go?

Don't mention Bushcraft, sharps or fire - it tends to scare them off a little.

Do mention an interest in wildlife, willingness to keep an eye on the place and conduct small maintenance tasks... it worked for me.

Simon

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
The local council woodland officer is worth a go but they wont offer you anything on their land as it 'would set a precedent'. However they may no of local land owners.
On a slightly different but relevant note would any of you land owners on here feel happier giving access to someone who had public liability insurance or such like?
Just a thought.
Dave

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
The local council woodland officer is worth a go but they wont offer you anything on their land as it 'would set a precedent'. However they may no of local land owners.
On a slightly different but relevant note would any of you land owners on here feel happier giving access to someone who had public liability insurance or such like?
Just a thought.
Dave

I got access to 50 hectares of mixed woodland and moorland through our woodland officer - after a very brief meeting "on the plot", so to speak I was given free reign to camp out, light fires and do light maintenance tasks.

All he asks in return is that I keep him informed of what the local wildlife is up to by e-mail each time I go up to play. We got round the liability issues by making me "Volunteer Ranger in charge" of the woods!

Simon

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I'm puzzled-You've got the Scouting Fleur-de-lys as an avatar but aren't a member(?)

lol, I thought I might've got somewhere with the scout site so I put it up and when I didn't get anywhere I decided to leave it because of the years I spent in scouting and, in some ways, that's what lead me into bushcraft.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Interesting discussion this.

I have never had problems with overnighting without permission - if it's high, it's generally accepted, if it's in the woods, no one finds me - but this has always been on multi-day walks. The situation is clearly very different when wanting to stop a while and "do" bushcraft. Especially when knives and fires are involved. If I am walking and sleeping "low" then I tend to cook and eat in a different place to where I camp so a small fire in my bushbuddy is never noticed (this is a "stealth camping" tip from Ray Jardine's "Beyond Backpacking" book - the ultralighter's bible but with lots of good stuff for anyone in the outdoors.)

I often spend the day in my local woods (Cotswolds or Forest of Dean) and find I can do all sorts of bushcrafty things short of lighting a fire and cutting down someone else's trees - tracking, foraging, plant/tree recognition, navigation etc.

That said, I would love to find somewhere where I can set up shop for a few days and, frinstance, sit around the fire at night spoon carving or whatever. I am pretty close to Yellow Wood and might give that a go next spring. (Sadly imobile at the moment waiting for a cartilage op). I like the idea of becoming a "voluntary warden" - have to look into it.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Thing is, I've got woods I can potter about in during the day and it's very erm un-maintained so I doubt anyone would mind a few trees coming down, not that I usually need to unfortunately, it's not really any good for a night out though - too close to chav-town and too many people about, including said "chavs"

BUT, it's going to be my first night in woodland, in a hammock, etc though I've been camping since literaly before I could walk. I'd just like to make sure I can have a nice peaceful night out.

Saying that though, I've no problem with using somewhere unofficially as long as I'm pretty certain I can get away with it.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I walked Offa's Dyke path and found loads of bivi spots (Bivi/tarp combo) sometimes fairly close to towns but quiet all the same. What you need is rain - keeps the chavs at home - they can't risk getting their trainers dirty.

neils90

Feb 15, 2007
Lincoln
I tried out in Stapleford woods was not to bad till the beaters woke me up on a saturday shoot, some nice areas right out of the way but it's a fair hike with gear.

I also tried Wigsley woods was a nice spot, also nice woods out at thorney not had a walk through there yet but thats next on my list.

Neil

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I tried out in Stapleford woods was not to bad till the beaters woke me up on a saturday shoot, some nice areas right out of the way but it's a fair hike with gear.

I also tried Wigsley woods was a nice spot, also nice woods out at thorney not had a walk through there yet but thats next on my list.

Neil

Hello! Someone else suggested stapleford woods to me but for some reason I dismissed it, A friend of mine's uncle owns a big chunk of wigsley airadrone but I've lost touch with both of them - a word of warning though, the bit he owns is a truck scrapyard and he's got big alsations teathered about the place so watch where you're straying to (there's at least two in the woods nearby) :rolleyes:

Thanks for that anyway, I'll go have a look :) whereabouts are you neil, out of curiosity.

neils90

Feb 15, 2007
Lincoln
Hello! Someone else suggested stapleford woods to me but for some reason I dismissed it, A friend of mine's uncle owns a big chunk of wigsley airadrone but I've lost touch with both of them - a word of warning though, the bit he owns is a truck scrapyard and he's got big alsations teathered about the place so watch where you're straying to (there's at least two in the woods nearby) :rolleyes:

Thanks for that anyway, I'll go have a look :) whereabouts are you neil, out of curiosity.

You would be talking about the Clarks out at wigsley i know john well and his father, go fishing and shooting at johns so i am alright there.

I live in Saxilby at the moment.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
You would be talking about the Clarks out at wigsley i know john well and his father, go fishing and shooting at johns so i am alright there.

I live in Saxilby at the moment.

I thought his name was Bob? Anyway, yes it's clark's, I used to fish there quite a bit before I left school. I think Bob's my mate's great uncle and my mate (colin)'s dad's name's Ivan, you know either of them?

I'm not all that far from you then, I live in Hartsholme. As it happens I've found somewhere today that I've decided to try this weekend, I had a walk round it earlier. Ever tried the old skelly wood? The only downside I can see is it's mostly deciduous so can be quite windy but I think I'll be ok as long as I can find a sheltered spot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE