Fungi Help Needed...(pic heavy!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Hi all

I'm not too sharp with Fungi id yet and am struggling with some I've seen recently.

Been digging around some woods I haven't been to for many years and made quite a find. The place is so rich compared to my recent haunts :D

Plenty of Cramp Balls and Birch Polypore but some more too that I haven't come across before.

1. This was very thin and laying next to a dead fallen tree I was looking over
IMG_4295.jpg

Is this Tinder Box Fungus?

2. Spotted on a rotting stump..it was white underneath.
IMG_4274.jpg

3. On a dead branch
IMG_4261.jpg

4. I think this is Stump Puff Ball
IMG_4185.jpg

5. On the side of a tree trunk
IMG_4153.jpg

6. On the top of a tree stump
IMG_4152.jpg

7. This was on a long fallen tree trunk
IMG_4111.jpg

Could this be a "young" Tinder Box Fungus?

8. Hoof Fungus
IMG_4110.jpg

9. Is this also Hoof Fungus? Shaped very differently from no.8 though.
IMG_4287.jpg

I've been all over Rogers Mushrooms and am still struggling. Hope you like the pics and can help.

Andy

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
1 Phellinus igniarius or some thing simerlar
2 Beef steak Fistulina hepatica
3 Da treees, day got EARS ya know. :eek:
4 Birch polypore
5 No idea, but looks really interesting.
6 Hirschioporus abietinus , always grows algae and has purple tinge to it, but I am highly lightly to be wrong as there literally loads of fungi that look like it.
7 Yee could be a young Phellinus something another :confused:
8 Hoof :)
9 Hoof :dunno:

Polypores are really hard to ID from photos, actaully if I am really honest they are not that easy when they are front you either. :D

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Thank you all so much for your help!

My first thought when I spotted number 2 was Beef Steak, I take it this one is some what past it's best? The pictures I'm finding make it look far more "lush" than this one and notes seem to suggest finding it roughly Aug > Nov. Still, with the mild winters we're getting I guess anything is possible!

I'll have to also find other sites to research them in future. On Rogers Mushrooms I didn't think his Jews Ears pictures look much like mine, seem far darker. Found others since though.

I'll head back there at the weekend and see if I can get any other pics of no.5 as that has everyone stumped.

xylaria

If you are going to go back to get a closer look of no5 you could touch it please. If it very soft like a jelly fish don't touch it any more, as it might be slime mould. We basically need to know if has pores and what shape and size the holes are, and how hard it is. Is it as velvety as it looks? It looks like nothing I know and thats really intreaging.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
If I can find it again and it's not feeling "like a Jelly Fish" would it be helpful to bring it/some home?

I could always send it on if it's helpful.

I'm just as curious now :D

xylaria

I can't tell you if you should pick of not, because I really don't know what it is. I have pm ed you with contact details of local mycology groups, which will be more help.

It could be the immature form of something common so picking it won't be any help. It could be a fungus thats as common as unicorn tears, and you shouldn't really pick that either.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE