Found some more fungi at work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stratts

Forager
Nov 2, 2010
Yaxley, Peterborough
Hi again guys,
Whilst walking around site this morning I came across 2 areas that have these chaps.

St Georges on the right maybe????? I thought maybe field blewit on the left but the wrong season????

The right ones in grass next to a willow tree in a circle about 5ft across. They've been mowed with the cutter and most gone slimey but some more are coming through. They are also whiter than they look in the pics.

The left ones again in open grass but in a bigger ring about 10ft across. These have a purple tinge and a purple/white substance right at the base of the stem. Also some others are quite dark on top, almost black like they've been burnt.

Neither shown signs of colouration when cut in half,

Cheers

Photo0686.jpg

Photo0685.jpg

Photo0687.jpg

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
the only ones we get growing in circles that I know of around here are fairy ring champignon which are edible but i had them verified by a friend who is more knowledgeable about these things than me, I wouldn't like to say 100% that is what they are

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Try getting one of the mods (or repost the pictures) in The ultimate 'what fungi is this' thread and you might get more help possibly...

Last edited:

xylaria

You need to check the spore prints. St georges has a spore print thats white, there is a distinct smell to it too. There is nothing really that size with pale spore this time of year. HOWEVER I really think the species on the left is something else. I found red staining inocybes this time year. the purple base and brown gills has me flumuxed, it could be cortinarius purperscens that has been tricked into thinking it autumn.

PLEASE DONT EAT ANY.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I would have put it down as spring cavalier.

Been collecting st georges on a daily basis and I've not seen a single one 'trumpet' like the left image, the gills are also much deeper...
St georges also brown in patches/uneven coloration on the gills, they are well rotten by the time the whole underside go's brown. Was looking at a turned/past it ring not two hours ago.

Just my HO. I'm far from an expert in these matters!

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Sounds interesting! Post a link up when its due to be scheduled if you don't mind.

Sadly, the mowers trashed several rings I've been watching on my works ground, but I have others more remote, so all is not lost :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE