Found on ebay....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Honest opinions?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hand-Forged-Flint-Striker-Knife-bushcraft-larp_W0QQitemZ220289291002QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220289291002&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

What does this have to do with larp? (that was my search )

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Many others (and certainly Wayland) would be better at answering this than me.
It looks 'similar' (to me) to this:
viking-knife.jpg

Pic sourced from here. They have it listed as 'Viking knife (Ladies)'.

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Live Action Role Play?

Correct, it was my interest in F&S firelighting that brought me here, but I am first and foremost a larper

Mes, I know both of these things are escapism, but they're not really that closely linked......are they?

I don't think the handle is going to be all that great for heavy use

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I sit worth trying out? please tell me before I buy another piece of junk fae evilbay lol. Suppose at the end of the day I could always do a review on it and resell on the bay and mention 'as maybe kind of the type of thing the famous bushcrafter ray mears may have used at some point in the past' :yelrotflm

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
The Knife/Striker combo tool is mostly a ... gimick or fad. They are hard to use because of the Heat-Treat problems involved in making them. The flint striker handle part almost always ends up waaaay too soft to work well sparking. The blade needs to be heat-treated hard and then tempered back a bit to make it less brittle. But that striker handle portion needs to be as hard as you can get it to work well as a striker. And that makes the handle brittle and much more susceptible to breaking.

These combo tools tend to break into two parts - the blade and the handle. And that is because of the differences between the heat-treat in those two parts. It creates something of an internal stress line where the two different heat-treats meet.

There are a few (very few) original examples. But my opinion of them is that they were made as a knife, and the maker just extended the tang and looped it back for a handle. And people then "theorized" that the handle was used as a flint striker because it resembled half of that classic C shaped flint striker. But that's just my opinion.

Why "larp" was included in the title? Marketing, plain and simple. Add extra terms so more people end up seeing the listing.

In my humble opinion, forget about these ... combo tools. Get a real knife and a real flint striker. Each will then function properly, and can be used independantly. The "combo tool" concept of idea is nice, but you end up with too many compromises on the various functions to make it all work together.

Just my humble thoughts to share. Take them as such.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE