Found a wood to use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Hi ,
I have been offered the use of some woodland at last . I was over the moon about it , but then i found out the entire wood is ash !!! I have heard from quite a few sources that ash will drop its branches with no warning and because of this you should never sleep under them . Does this mean i should turn the woods down on a safety basis or is there a way round this problem with out having to de limb every tree ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thats great news mate:D
I thought it was beech too. I used to use a wood in Devon that was nearly all ash, I slept there many times and never had a problem.
Neil

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
OK there are a few folk on the forum here, how many folk have ever seen a tree shed a limb? I have worked in woodlands for many years and cleared up a good few windblown trees, I have seen a couple of horse chestnuts that have shed limbs on non windy days. The thought of not sleeping under any species of tree because of the potential danger of it throwing a limb is like never crossing a road because you may get run down.....no in fact you are in far more danger crossing the road...stop worrying and get out in your wood and enjoy it. If you are in any doubt have a look round your wood and see how many freshly thrown limbs there are, then work out what proportion of the ground they cover (0.01%?) and what proportion of the time you will be there (1%?) you will soon work out how unlikely it is that a limb will fall on you.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Cheers guys , that clears it up . will go and have a recce , but i know there arnt any beach there . i can get it on the basis of taking a certain group out and doing some basic bushcraft with them , but after that i should be able to use it . I may have to clear up after everyone to create the right impresion but i guess thats for my own benifit .
Cheers
Pumbaa

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Ash is a fantastic wood for burning, as you probably know. I say you've got yourself a decent bit of woodland, never mind the what ifs, get out and "use it or lose it"!

Lodian

Nomad
May 23, 2007
Peterhead, Aberdeenshire
Mate where i i got the same oppertunity there are'nt many forests around but someone gave me full roam of a massive pine forest.(However there are some other trees) Just make the most of it. There are quite a few people who need to go miles to get there place to wild camp.

Lodian

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I though it was beech that dropped branches, thoguh my wife was walking in our local park, and a poplar dropped a huge branch just about 10 foot behind where she had been walking. the councl cut the whole row of them down, just to be safe. five of the six were found to be hollow.

robwolf

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2008
thetford norfolk
Hi ..robash is called widow maker not because it looses branches but because its a pain to cut down as the trunk can sheer off and stick you to the ground anyway mate take the wood think of all the cramp balls you will have

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Pumbaa

I've never experienced Ash exhibiting sudden branch drop. Beech are infamous for doing this during dry spells ('summer branch drop') possibly as a response to drought pressure. However, this phenomenon has been noted in other species.

You are more likely to be troubled by 'hangers' - detached branches still lying within the crown of the tree. Ash tends to accumulate hangers readily - especially after a good blow! Avoid camping beneath any obvious ones as they tend to come down butt-first if dislodged!!

If you're taking a group around it might be wise to choose a route with hangers etc. in mind. I would imagine the probability of actually getting struck is very small - unless you're wandering around during a storm - but it's worth bearing in mind.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods and I've only seen a tree come down 'naturally' on two occasions. Once was the result of windthrow within a wood which was a tall ash on a chalk slope, and the other was a dead staghead oak on a completely calm day - with only a creak behind me giving me warning!

As regards 'widowmakers' this term tends to refer to felling leaning ash trees (particularly with a chainsaw). Ashwood splits very easily and a leaning ash can suddenly split out in a spectacular fashion creating a 'barbers chair'. If the feller is unfortunate enough to be in the way they may be killed - hence 'widowmaker'. A special series of cuts is used to fell a leaning ash with a chainsaw - not something to be undertaken without appropriate training.

On the plus side you should have no trouble finding ample firewood. There should be plenty of small standing dead ash which are excellent kindling, split down well and play host to the King Alfred Cakes fungus.

While limbs and trees do fall don't let that stop you enjoying your new wood. Adopt a sensible approach by treating any dodgy-looking tree / branch with respect but above all delight in the changing moods of the wood. An ash wood usually has a varied ground flora as plenty of light reaches the woodland floor, and you should see quite a variety of fungi as well! Your biggest disappointment will be in shelter building however; ash leaves decay quickly so you'll be hard pressed finding enough humus to cover a natural shelter at any other time other than autumn!!:rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

Bob:)

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Heat can be a factor in causing this, as the tree tries to take on extra water thus making the limbs heavier and more likely to break.

Other trees that are succeptible to this are; eucalyptus, oak, ash, ornamental pears, sycamore, silver maple and poplar.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE