Foot and mouth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just heard. Talk about a "heart sinking moment".

My deepest sympathies to all those affected and to those who keep stock who must be sick with worry right now.

Red

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Didn't see this post Red or I posted first in other chatter. Either way bad news indeed. They're talking about it now on Radio 5 Live if anyone's interested :( :( :(

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Lurch mate, I hope beyond hope that your family is unaffected this time. I have know people who have had their farms devasted by F&M and in other ways. Its absolutely heartbreaking.

Our thoughts are with you my friend

Red

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Many apologies for the last post!
I vividly remember the last outbreak and my emotions got the better of me!
Let's hope it remains isolated and doesn't spread!!

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I hope the government makes a better job of things than last time, this time the armed forces aren't there to bail them out.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Doesn't make for very promising reading :(

This quote just about sums it up - ''The outbreak is not the problem - it's the reaction (and response) to it that matters''. Quite true.

Incidentally, have you noticed that senior MP's always have to mention that they were on holiday whenever this kind of thing occurs? Why? It's not about them. They make a big deal out of letting us know that they came home early or cancelled their holiday just to sort things out.
Do they not realise this is not about the great sacrifice they've made and how great they are in cancelling their holiday - it's about continuing the British way of life with the minimum of disruption and stopping the spread of infection before it totally cripples the farming community. We don't care who was responsible or how many croquet games they cancelled to 'help out' - for God sake just get it done.
Admittedly that does seem to be what they're doing this time, rather than pleading ignorance and hoping the problem goes away. Let's just hope it goes a bit better than last time, and countless thousands of animals aren't needlessly killed.

:cussing:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Doesn't make for very promising reading :(

This quote just about sums it up - ''The outbreak is not the problem - it's the reaction (and response) to it that matters''. Quite true.

Incidentally, have you noticed that senior MP's always have to mention that they were on holiday whenever this kind of thing occurs? Why? It's not about them. They make a big deal out of letting us know that they came home early or cancelled their holiday just to sort things out.
Do they not realise this is not about the great sacrifice they've made and how great they are in cancelling their holiday - it's about continuing the British way of life with the minimum of disruption and stopping the spread of infection before it totally cripples the farming community. We don't care who was responsible or how many croquet games they cancelled to 'help out' - for God sake just get it done.
Admittedly that does seem to be what they're doing this time, rather than pleading ignorance and hoping the problem goes away. Let's just hope it goes a bit better than last time, and countless thousands of animals aren't needlessly killed.

:cussing:

To be fair to the MP's it's the press that have reported that they're cutting their holidays short, and also to be fair they probably thought it prudent (the MP's) to announce this as early as possible before the cries of where's the PM ?........on chuffing holiday !!!! cries go up. They're damned if they do and damned if they don't. :)

My first and utmost thoughts are with the farmers and their livelihoods and my second is all the prohibited access to all the countryside. Listening to the radio it seems that the immediate actions have been far better than last time with total ban on moving animals for the time being so lets hope it gets contained, and everything gets back to normal soon and above all it's not a massive outbreak like 2001

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The F & M outbreak was the last Op I was on before leaving the Army, I had to drive a liason officer to various farms throughout Wales which were infected and I witnessed alot of the upset and anguish not to mention frustration that the farmers were going through.
It was if I'm honest a horrible time, an one operation that I didn't enjoy at all. Seeing those poor animals being slaughtered on a daily basis was quite haunting and I feel for anyone who has to go through this again.:(

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Oh God not again:( I just hope this is going to be contained better than the last disaster was. Perhaps officialdom has "learned the lessons" and it won't happen again to the same disastrous scale.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I just hope it hasnt spread already before any one did realise there was a case. I really, really hope that its not something that officialdom has known about for a while and tried to keep quiet and only gone public because they realised another crisis is about to happen :confused: Perhaps I'm cynical but anything seems possble nowadays. I dread to think what effect's this could have on the farming economy if it isnt contained ruthlessly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE