food to reduce blood pressure

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As far as diet goes increasing intake intake of high fiber foods is a good idea (fiber helps eliminate excess cholesterol among other benefits). Really though the emphasis is more on what foods to eliminate or reduce rather than what to add.

Go to your Dr. and let him do a work-up. I'm sure he'll reccomend diet and lifestyle modifications before prescribing meds. Meds are usually reserved until after said modifications prove ineffective or inadaquete. They usually aren't enough bacause most of us aren't able to maintain a truely healthy diet. It's a pretty bland diet for those of us who are used to red meat, fried foods (fish & chips), eggs, dairy; you know, all the stuff with flavor. The general rule is: "If it tastes good, spit it out!"

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's a pretty bland diet for those of us who are used to red meat, fried foods (fish & chips), eggs, dairy; you know, all the stuff with flavor. The general rule is: "If it tastes good, spit it out!"

There's nothing in that list that you have to stop eating just because you have high BP although it may well be prudent to reduce your intake of same. The odd chip butty or duff pudding now and then isn't going to kill you and can be a great morale booster in and amongst the horse & bunny food.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi just got back from the docs had to have my bloods taken to check my kidneys and blood pressure check 145 over 77 perfect and under control for now regards dave

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have always had low BP as in so low I could pass out (veinal veigle I think its called) getting out of a chair after a bad dose of cold or whatever. Won't say exactly where the first time it happened but it was on a throne in a restaurant! ;-) Anyway I went to the doc's for something unrelated to that side of health and she took my BP. I was actually suddenly quite high. Meant I had to keep going back for a few times until I had two normal readings. It just happened to be the next two visits. Call that whiter coat syndrome.

Anyway my point is to go back and get checked out fully. Don't get worrying about it until you do get to see the Doctor. For all you know it could just be a blip in BP and the Doc gives you a clean bill of health.

However if it is still high the Doc will tell you what to do better than most of us can. However we can give you encouragement to make the diet changes needed and pointers from those on here who are further down the road. Not me though but I'll be somewhere behind you no doubt as the number of family members on BP drugs and statins and the like is worryingly large.

Not sure if it was due to his BP but my Dad got told not to eat brocolli!! SO if it was for BP you now have an excuse for not eating your greens!! See a Positive in everything!!

Always got told garlic has antibiotic effects and can help to thin your blood. Onions too have benefits but less so. I guess the blood thinning could help BP issues but mostly Cholesterol issues I'd imagine.

Hate to say it but exercise and diet are so important to our health. No way round it the modern diet is not good for us. However it is in your power to sort out your diet and lifestyle.

PS watch out for bread. Seriously most mas produced sliced breads are actually rather high in salt. Perhaps go to more artisan bakers.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
BTW last BP check I had one measure very high the other very low. How screwed up am I? I get the negatives of high BP and low BP in one system!! I think anyway.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
There's nothing in that list that you have to stop eating just because you have high BP although it may well be prudent to reduce your intake of same. The odd chip butty or duff pudding now and then isn't going to kill you and can be a great morale booster in and amongst the horse & bunny food.

I was speaking somewhat tongue in cheek. Actually however my Doctors and dieticians have been telling me for years to cut down (and by cut down they mean SEVERELY) all those foods as well as white breads. I've been hyper-tensive since I was about 26 and diabetic since I was in my early 40s. Yes, you can have the odd serving now and then but what they define as the odd serving is only about once per 2 or 3 months, whereas most of us think of it as once or twice a day for things like butter. It's mainly that most of us are so accustomed to high fat, high salt foods that a healthy level just seems so bland to us(not that it neccessarily really is that bland) You're quite right about the morale boost you can get if it's done correctly. I've found that a lot of the problem maintaining a good diet is social; it's difficult enough to refrain from certain foods but even harder when you're at the table with family or friends who happily digging in.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Eat healthy, moderate your portions, cut back on booze, stop smoking if you can, really cut down if you can't, don't rely on cheap BP monitors as they are not very accurate and try not to worry about it as stress can push it up. Go to your GP, get a check up and don't be afraid to take tablets to get it under control, you don't always have to take them for the rest of your life.

Eat a bit of what you fancy from time to time, as said, its good for your moral.

Seabeggar

Jan 9, 2008
Highlands
Folk should not spend to much time worrying about mild to moderate raised blood pressure until they have quit smoking. For example 50 year old male who smokes with BP 150/80

Their 10-year QRISK ( risk of heart attack or stroke in next 10 years) is: 9.5%
The score of a typical person with the same age, sex, and ethnicity* 5.9%
HeartAge= 56

Another identical 50 year old who doesnt smoke with same raised BP

Their 10-year QRISK score 6.1%
The score of a typical person with the same age, sex, and ethnicity* 5.9%
Their HeartAge= 51

So moderate raised BP adds 1 year to your age smoking adds another 5 ( and thats just from heart and stroke disease)

Eating healthy will reduce BP and other diseases.

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
dont sweat it mate,...

it'll more than likely be up just from you being there,....

let us know how you get on,...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
So, how did it go then with the Doctor?

Diets change all the time, until recently butter was a killer, now its not so bad...wish they would make up their minds.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Thanks for asking Rik,

BP down to 145 / 90...Doc' says that not to bad compared to what it was. had all sorts of blood and urine tests, having to wear a BP monitor for 24 hours.

Doc recommended a glass or 2 of red wine and as many Olives as i can eat and cut out the salt, should be able to avoid med's then

trouble is..............just been told that the company is "down sizing" and could be made redundant very soon !! bloody stress !!

Last edited:

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I'm surprised no-ones mentioned hawthorn leaf tea. Strangely sweet I love it. Available nearly all year around but best now made with new sprouting leaves. Sometimes I stick nettle in with it too.

Hawthorn is medically proven to reduce blood pressure and IIRC is an ingredient in some blood pressure meds.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thanks for asking Rik,

BP down to 145 / 90...Doc' says that not to bad compared to what it was. had all sorts of blood and urine tests, having to wear a BP monitor for 24 hours.

Doc recommended a glass or 2 of red wine and as many Olives as i can eat and cut out the salt, should be able to avoid med's then

trouble is..............just been told that the company is "down sizing" and could be made redundant very soon !! bloody stress !!

Nice one mate, thats not a bad reading, well done :) I must be honest though and admit my dry cured smoke bacon and cheese scrambled eggs on toast were bloody marvelous...better that oatmeal.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Robbi mate,...

i,m on the same trip at the minute,...

obviously no symptons,....but a routine check and boom!

i,m 17 stone,. and 6'1'' BMI is a bit high but i have always trained heavy and competed in a few bbing seasons a couple of years back so BMI means nothing at all,...

anyway,...i had a 24 hour monitor on and my readings were 140 over 100,...arrrgh

i have a pretty stressful job too,....the doc gave me one med and i didnt get on with it ,....

so i went and they sorted out a different one, and now my BP is nicely placed in the high end of normal,,,,

they dont call it the silent killer for nowt mate,....

talk to the doc,..ask him what kinda sides you can expect and tell him what you do for a living,...but i would consider the meds mate, seriously..(just keep an eye on the effects)

but this wasnt your question i suppose ,...so...

some foods and supps can help,...i recall Hawthorn from holland and barrett was on my list of stuff my coach gave me,

but really, take salt out of the diet, a bit of pre-breakfast CV work (if you can work it in) and drop the rollies,....(hahahaha)

hahahahaha i,m not preaching ,. and its all stuff you already know i spose,..,..but we dont want you pegging out early dude,...

Stu

I'm surprised no-ones mentioned hawthorn leaf tea. Strangely sweet I love it. Available nearly all year around but best now made with new sprouting leaves. Sometimes I stick nettle in with it too.

Hawthorn is medically proven to reduce blood pressure and IIRC is an ingredient in some blood pressure meds.

i did point it out early on in post #6

Robbi,

glad its dropping mate,....

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
spent most of this evening on the phone sorting out work, potential redundantcy, lay offs, etc........not good for the old BP, wife has freaked at the readings and taken my phone away !

it really is a self perpetuating circle, worry / stress increases BP.............when your BP is high, you worry / stress about it !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE