Food at home and in the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I was wondering what your favourite Urban meal and wilderness meals were. When I’m at home I like Curry (home made), macaroni cheese, toad in the hole….Umm, lovely When I’m out though I like different things, I don’t try to make what I enjoy at home (except for curry, had a nice pigeon and squirrel one!)

At home I don’t like water, but when I’m out and about I don’t mind it at all, I like meats cooked over the fire, especially fish, I love kebabs of wild meat and fungi and experimenting with roots and eating berries.

The key is probably getting both more in sink with each other and overlapping a bit, saying that, this weeks we’ve had crumbles made from wild apples and berries, drunk elderflower cordial, had wild fungi and caught fish…I suppose that’s not too bad.

What about you guys and girls, what do you like at home and what do you like when you’re out of suburbia?

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
My great favourite is a traditional English breakfast at home, on holiday but especially in my favourite patch of woods I think it tastes better coz you have to work that much harder to prepare it . I think its better in winter as well as the smell and taste seems enhanced there seems something special about taking a bit of civilization out in the wilds with you. My other special out door meal is meat or poultry grilled or kebabed washed down with a small glass of wine

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, good point, I love a sausage, egg, bacon, mushroom and cheese roll for breakfast in the wilds! I suppose that’s more camping with the family…

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
the stuff i eat when out and about is just about the same as the stuff i eat in the house all be it a little simpler less faff to prepare and present it just get eaten of a stick or out of a bowl.
my favorite when i'm at home is a good juicy steak done in the pan or on the barbie same out side
meat in general cooked well i'll eat until the cows come home

i'm big in to veg too roast vegitable cousocus ummmmmm.

but beans bread rice pasta cheese all great

there are only three things in the world of food wild or home that i wont eat slugs:yuck: , bean sprouts:yuck:, and milk:yuck: its the devils work :censored:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
My absolute favourite meal is home made curry with peshwari nan outdoors or at home this tastes great. I've cooked it outdoors too many times on my fire. I also love any seafood but especially turbot, prawns, crab and cod. :D

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
I like to experiment when outdoors - so I do a lot of wok type cooking, curries from scratch etc. Going to make rotis (chapatis) next time out too - should be quite easy and a change from bannock. I think asian cooking techniques lead themselves well to outdoors - fast cooking on high heats. Of course, I love a good cooked breakie and a solid sausage and fried egg sarnie with a pint sized brew can't be beaten.

At home? Mostly grilled meats and fish with salads and veg. The odd takeaway sneaks in - I need to loose weight! :D

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Indoors, seafood of any description from Clams to Cod, even on the BBQ.......

Out and about anything that is going!!!!!!!!

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I operate on a See Food diet. The best food is the one I am eating then (or now!).

I am a townie bushcrafter. The shed is not far from the kitchen! Only camped out bushcrafting style twice so far. I do like stodge, and bannock if great - if adding something wild I have picked.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
bloodline said:
My great favourite is a traditional English breakfast at home, on holiday but especially in my favourite patch of woods I think it tastes better coz you have to work that much harder to prepare it . I think its better in winter as well as the smell and taste seems enhanced there seems something special about taking a bit of civilization out in the wilds with you. My other special out door meal is meat or poultry grilled or kebabed washed down with a small glass of wine

What is "a traditional English breakfast?"

Favorite food at home: My wife's lasagna.

Favorite food in the woods: Slow roasted venison haunch, or maybe moose tenderloin, or maybe pan fried brook trout, or maybe clay baked grouse breast. Too many choices!

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Have you not asked a closed question, mentioning a fry-up from the start ? Vegetarians and followers of the stricter desert religions will forgive me, but nothing can hope to compete with the smell of bacon on a still morning, with the mist just about burned off. I've only just had breakfast as I type, but I'm salivating at the memory of returning from early morning forages or dives (scuba) to the sizzle of the pan.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
pierre girard said:
What is "a traditional English breakfast?"

Bacon, Eggs (fried or scrambled),sausage, fried bread, black pudding, mushrooms, beans and or fried tomoatoes generally - add other fried food of choice, serve with bread and butter and tea (not coffee!)

Red

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
It will be a matter of some debate, but it is generally accepted that the tea should be NATO-standard: that is, strong with milk and two sugars.
The quantification of the 'sugar' unit is especially controversial.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I'm so glad you included Black Pudding in your Full English Red. Can you believe there are people out there who DON'T like it? Freaks!

And yes, Tea should always be NATO standard.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The full Scottish breakfast however includes a generous slice of fried dumpling and the sausages includes square cut Lorne ones too......maybe a fried tattie scone......
Heart attack on a plate, guys :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy who's veggie equivalent is fried mushrooms, fried tattie scones, fried dumpling, tomatoes, onions, skirlie and some grated cheese :D

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Indoors, I love stodgy stuff with baked beans mmmmmmmmm beans how I love them. Lasagne and beans, scrambled eggs on toast with beans, toad in the hole with beans, great big yorkshire pudding filled with mashed potato,sausages, peas, carrots, garlic flavoured gravy and beans. Also love sunday roast and loads of other stuff except fish.
Outdoors, Neil 1's cooking is tops. Also like me sausage and beans for breakfast with a bit of bread and butter. Have been taking a leg of lamb to recent meets and cooked over the fire with some new potatoes and some veg and gravy and some mint sauce, very nice. I do like to forage a find greens to add to the meal, but I do lack inspiration with what to put with what and am afraid to experiment. Rat pack meals are nice too, esp with beans..........prrrrrrrrrp...pardon me........... :D

geoff88

Forager
Jul 14, 2006
SW England
P7perfect said:
My sentiments exactly. A famous British fictional spy referred to it as 'mud' and 'opium of the masses' :D

Me too, strong real, none of your instant cr*p, black coffee. :D
How people can drink tea particularly with milk is beyond me. :eek:
Full fat breakfast washed down with loads of caffeine that's the way to get the heart going in the morning. Must be well on my way to my first attack. :D

Geoff

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Totally agree on the coffee front (indeed my badge of "Mr Grumpy" refers to my first pre-coffee state). One full, 14 cup perculator later though, I will drink tea with me brekkie. Don't know why - it just works.

Red

kaoss

May 8, 2006
Manchester
At home I will eat virtually anything, my favorite at the moment is shell-on prawns, not the small watery things out of the freezer.

Camping, first night everything out of tins all into the same pan, a sort of corned beef hash with tinned veg and a casserole mix.

Then whatever I can find in the sea or on the shore (edible) or in a snare (or the spar) :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE