flu remedies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Anyone know of any flu remedies? I am feeling pretty rough just now and have been chucking chicken soup, neurofen and zinc down my neck to try and shift it, I would appreciate it if anyone has even an old wives tale that may help

irishlostboy

Nomad
Dec 3, 2007
Eire
a nice hot whiskey, followed by several more hot whiskeys. not very practical, but a good excuse to lose a day in a merry stupor.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yep, I'd go with the whisky recommendation too - it won't actually help you recover, but it does make the illness more bearable. ;)

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Traditional chinese remedy is Chrysanthemum flower tea - which most chinese supermarkets sell - usually just a big bag of dried flowers. A tbsp of flowers in hot water, with honey (if its a dry cough) or sugar and lemon (if you're congested) taken 5-6 times a day.

Chrysanthemum contains strong anti-viral agents, is a good demulcent and febrifuge, and is a mild sedative.

I usually start drinking it religiously whenever I get a cold or flu - usually knocks a day or 2 off the time I feel rough for...

spoonman

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2007
Loch Garman
For me the key is plenty of rest and pine needle tea which is high in vitamin c. I try to avoid any meds if at all possible. It is very rare that anyone gets the flu anyway, more often than not its a cold that was passed on and this works for me.

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
If you can send someone to a shop that sells them you could try; Elderflower, Limeflower, Rose Hip and Echinacea (root) tea.

If 4 are too many to buy Yarrow and Echinacea would be good. A steam inhalation of yarrow really helps to unblock sinuses too... that is if you can inhale it!

If you are eating then lots of veg obviously, especially onions, garlic, ginger, thyme, rosemary, oranges and lemons. Lemon and honey in hot water is nice.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Rendered Skunk Fat, mix in cedar tea. Drink a warm teaspoon before every meal.

Old Ojibway remedy for colds and flus, so far everyone who's used it, tells me it works.. Although they never suggest how to get the skunk fat :p

xylaria

Oz is that one of those, if you don't want to drink it then you are not ill enough remedies? Like artemisia for stomach ailments. :D

My flu remedy is dried meadowsweet flowers honey and hot water. sea buckthorn juice honey and hot water pretty nice to, but the meadowsweet works better.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Lol, actually I've tasted skunk grease before.. tastes just like any other animal grease, no bad smell or taste.

But you must be suffering to willfully kill a stinky bugger like a skunk, just to get it's fat.

As for artemisia.. well.. I'll just say this..

Tincture of Rum and a special herb is in my closet waiting for another week.

After that.. any wannabe shamans show up asking about seeing spirits, I'll help them see them.. real dang fast!

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Fortunately I am sufficiently recovered not to have to resort to ingesting skunk fat!

thanks for all the advice, I did the fresh lemon, hot water and honey and it worked a treat, I added a malt once but it broke my heart to mix a laphroaig with anything,

the other thing that helped me through was good old radox salts

xylaria

Wormwood is really good at getting rid of intestial parasites, they have found a compound in an asian wormwood that can kill the malaria parasite in vivo [the body]. I mix one teaspoon full with honey to make a ball. It tastes truly nasty, some first nation tribes use canadian wormwood as a treatment for amoebic dysentry. the whole genus has global use for killing unwanted visitors to the human body, but like a lot herbs that work it has side effects and a taste to warn us. Mother nature has some great ways of keeping us healthy :yuck:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE