Flint touble - NEED HELP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
I will go on a good scout and bring some too the moot .
I know that there is a lot around my way but I wonder if it's of any good quality wise.
As I've only ever tried fire lighting with flint once when I was in the scouts.
And know nothing about the "signs" of a good flint .
That is unless you guys/girls can give me some pointers .
abominable once I know what i'm looking at I'd happily send some your way .

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
This is what is laying around my garden . Is this of any use to you . Are you going to the moot or would you like me to post it to you (if it's any good)uploadfromtaptalk1373641909669.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will go on a good scout and bring some too the moot .
I know that there is a lot around my way but I wonder if it's of any good quality wise.
As I've only ever tried fire lighting with flint once when I was in the scouts.
And know nothing about the "signs" of a good flint .
That is unless you guys/girls can give me some pointers .
abominable once I know what i'm looking at I'd happily send some your way .
The best flint is nice big pieces that have not been mashed around and still have a full coating of the white outer covering. If you hit them with another rock they should ring like a bell. Lesser stuff is still good for flint and steel work :)

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
We have found a few of the larger ones that are almost completely coated
:D and a few other bits . Fortunately myself and my neighbor are busy digging our gardens anyway. And finding many .
nygu4uqa.jpg

Last edited:

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
excuse my lack of education on the subject but is flint really so hard to find ?
While digging my garden recently it was everywhere .

Not much of it up round Cumbria as far as I've noticed, some on the Solway beaches but I've not noticed much other than that.

I worked in Lambeth a while ago and there was masses of the stuff in several colours.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
Like most things it is Location, Location, Location! - if you are in an area that has a chalk geology then flint is easy to obtain - if you aint it aint!
There is no flint around me - but if you want top quality slate it is all over the place here :) You got any of that in Basingstoke?

There is an exception to that. My area North East England there is no naturally occurring flint, However there is flint all over some of our beaches.
This is here because of the N E coal trade. The coal was taken down south in coal lighters the coal acting as ballast for the outward journey, When unloaded they were filled with shingle for the return journey amongst which was a lot of flint.
Having reached their home port the shingle was dumped offshore to be, in time washed up on our local beach.

Grip

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Ive not been out to collect much more yet . But me and my boys are going to take a stroll along the feilds and see what we can find .

Paddytray .;

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Abominable read your messages mate .
Can I ask the more frequent moot goers if I'm wasting my time and car space bringing loads of this flint with me . I don't want anything for it . But will it be used / wanted ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE