Fleece, or not to fleece...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Slaine

Sep 23, 2005
Canterbury
So as the title says I'm in a slight dilema here and would love some input from you guys. I have looked at soooo many combinations I cannot see the wood for the trees.

I've been fortunate enough to bag myself a spot on RM's Journeyman course in Aug/Sept this year and I'm looking at fleece/soft shell/rain jacket/smock combinations to hopefully see me through dry and warm. Do I go for a windproof breathable fleece that won't singe next to the fire and take along a waterproof jacket if it rains or how about a waterproof and windproof fleece and put a waterproof smock over it when it rains ?

I've looked at Jack Pyke waterproof fleece and Hunter jackets, North Face Windwall fleece, Buffalo and Paramo Fuera smocks and various lightweight rain macs and pac-a-macs. What combo would you suggest please ?

Cheers,
Sean

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Crikey. Sounds like you're tying yourself into a right old knot. You're making it sound really difficult - do you have these worries and dilemmas every morning when you dress?
Are you sure you will need all those layers in August/September? Sounds like you're going a bit over the top to me.
A T-shirt, a warm top over that (fleece, woolly jumper, whatever) and a light rainproof mac just in case will do you. Just take whatever you feel most comfortable in. What do you normally wear around the campfire? That will do, I'm sure. Just because it's a Ray Mears course doesn't mean you have to go over the top to prove something. Just wear what you would normally wear when camping out at the end of Summer.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Disclaimer: Not slating any course at all, I have attended a couple myself, but this is my observation.
I personally think the downfall, and possibly a hidden cost, is that people feel that they have to get 'kitted up' and wear the uniform. No different to kids thinking they have to wear a £100 pair of trainers to fit in at school.
If you were having an all night BBQ on the beach with your friends on an August/September evening, what would you wear?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I like wool for warmth. In summer, an pen neck shirt for the day and a warm wool jumper to put on as evening draws in. In my case a smock for "rain and pockets" but whatever shell layer you fancy should work

Red

Slaine

Sep 23, 2005
Canterbury
..... people feel that they have to get 'kitted up' and wear the uniform. No different to kids thinking they have to wear a £100 pair of trainers to fit in at school.
If you were having an all night BBQ on the beach with your friends on an August/September evening, what would you wear?

Dont think my flip flops and "All Hail The BBQ King!" apron would go down too well :rolleyes: but I know what you mean about the bushcraft "uniform"

...do you have these worries and dilemmas every morning when you dress?.

LOL...Speaking of uniforms I have to put mine on every morning so the choice is taken away.

I usually wear a HH vest with a Norgie but I was looking to change my fleece and rain coat as I'm not sure if they are up to the task. September in Kent IMHO is not the same as September in Scotland. And they have seen better days (elbows wearing thin, zips broken etc)..... besides which SWMBO has given me special permission to "get what you think you'll need" (ahhh.. should have got that it writing) and I need to take full advantage before she finds the error of her ways.....hehehe.

Linden

Dec 1, 2009
Hampshire
I have one of the paramo reversible shirts/baselayer things. ive worn it out sailing, with shorts and t-shirt, in the rain, 3 hours of sailing later, took it off, my t-shirt was dry (damp around the waist and neck, but otherwise dry!) well worth it, its warm enough for most days, wring it out and its fine, you wouldnt notice it.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
What's wrong with a t-shirt of some description and one or two thin-ish woolly pullys and a suitable jacket depending on conditions?

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
My "configuration" that works most times:

Spring/Summer/Autumn
---
Base: T-shirt or thermal (depends how chilly it is during the day)
Mid: nothing for the day/Fleece for the night
Bottoms: ripstop shorts
Top (Wet): Flecktarn surplus German Poncho (also opens flat and doubles as a basha)
Bottoms (Wet or extra chilly): Goretex overtrousers DPM

Winter (Current Configuration)
---
Base: Thin Thermal
Mid: woolly pully (with neck to chest zipper if it gets too warm)
Top: 3-in-1 Gore-tex jacket with fleece lining (fleece can be worn individually)
Bottoms: cotton trousers (soon to be replaced by M65 polycotton)

Winter (Updated configuration)
---
Base: Bamboo Thermal
Mid: Dutch Norgee + padded shirt
Top (if required): M65 Jacket (the standard one not the thick one)
Top (Wet): Poncho
Bottoms: M65 trousers
Bottoms (Wet): Gore-tex overtrousers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE