TF Gear Smock Little Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Hi guys
Be gentle but i'd thought i'd post a quick review of a piece of kit i bought recently but have only just tried out.

I've been after a buffalo style shirt for a while but came across these on ebay. Although not strictly "bushcraft" i thought it looked interesting, was cheap at about £30 delivered and seemed to be what i was after:

http://www.totalfishinggear.co.uk/buy.cfm/jackets/tf-gear-thermo-tex-endurance-smock/39/no /62190

I finally got to try it wednesday on a day walk in the black mountains. And what a day it was! Wind, rain, hail the works! It has to be said though the smock worked fantastically! While not "waterproof" it was certainly VERY resistant and took a pounding all day-by all day i mean 10hrs+ hillwalking and it still wasn't soaked through.

20140530_140700_zpsylivaync.jpg~original
20140530_140814_zpslitmel3r.jpg~original

The jacket itself seems very well made has the traditional large pocket on the front-which is HUGE , 2 side pockets plus both sides unzip as vents to stop overheating. What i also liked was the fact there is a cinch cord on the neck to draw the collar in tight.

20140530_140859_zpsq0efaj73.jpg~original
20140530_140930_zpsskbx4lu6.jpg~original

Only negatives i could find were:
1. I DID overheat eventually especially when i ended up putting on a waterproof shell-in reality i probably could have worn this and no baselayer at all!

2. The sizings are HUGE. I am a 44" chest and this is big on me and is a medium! (the smallest they do apprently)

3. No hood otherwise this would have been perfect.

However it was totally windproof, very comfortable, VERY water resistant and warm overall an awesome shirt for the cash!

andyxedos

Nomad
Jul 2, 2011
newport
Defo a great item for the price just a shame no hood and over generous sizing. I got a pair of their "extreme" bib and brace trousers ready for some winter snow walking and they look similarly well made-just way to warm to try out now!

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE