Fjallraven Greenland, a few questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Hi All,

I am considering getting a Greenland jacket as an all round jacket for all round year use, I know that they are highly thought of but a few queries .................mainly as its likely being an online purchase owing to no local(ish) dealers. But also overall experience of the garment is also welcomed. Also looking for any experience of the womens version as the breadknife is on the look out for a jacket too.

How generous is the fit? I am usually XL, sometimes bigger and I'm just thinking of the layering.
Experiences of the G1000 fabric, its wear, performance and particularly the re-proofing issue (went back a few pages and read the thread on the greenland wax/nikwax proofing) what is actually the best and how often is it really needed?
Any recommended shops/suppliers.........there seems to be a good deal of variation in price!?;)

It will be worn alot, my Deerhunter is usually too warm and I am on daily dog walks (occasionally working them) I fish and shoot as well as playing out in the woods so I'm hoping that it will tick most of the boxes!:cool:

Many thanks in advance

Marc

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have had a few over the years. Not sure about the sizing, I'm 175cm/80kg and mine is XL, but was bought in 1999 when there was a lined version (inferior to the original style, I might add; the front pockets are crap, the oriignal fild over style is better). IIRC the one sold now is pretty much the original style.

I got some wear along the hem and cuffs, but a strip of leather solved that. The zipper needed replacing after a few years, the replacement now needs to be replaced. This time I'll make it 4" shorter, leaving the last 2" in each end up to the snaps alone.

Reproofing, I do it as needed, makes a clear difference, but still not a barbour jacket.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I have just bought one myself, so no info on longevity, but in terms of size, I am a 48-50" chest with broad shoulders who sometimes has to stray over into XXL for jackets, but my Greenland XL fits fine and will go over a T-shirt and medium to heavyweight jumper.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
Firstly Scandinavian sizes tend to be a little more generous. I am 6ft and 180lbs with a fairly athletic wide-shouldered build and a UK/US size XL usually fits me, but I go down to Large when it comes to Scandi jackets.
I have a Fjällräven Hunter Hydratic in XL which I can get away with over layers, but it is a bit long in the sleeve. This jacket has popper adjustments on the sleeve which don't help with this, but some of their range have a velcro strap adjuster instead which works better. The Hunter Hydratic is in G1000 with a 'hydratic' liner. I find this jacket both wind + waterproof but the outside waist cord adjuster is always getting caught on things.
I also have a Fjällräven Iceland jacket which I scruff around in. Size large fits fine, it is well made and hard wearing with good pocket layout. It may tick a lot of your boxes but I have a gripe about G1000 (poly/cotton) as it is not waterproof and not so very windproof in my opinion. Then again, I haven't been to Iceland or Greenland...
I have treated my jacket with their Greenland wax but it wasn't a 100% success and affected the breathablity.
If you're set on a Fjällräven for outdoors to stay warm and dry in, I'd get one of the hydratic lined models, but for the price they are these days I'd go for a Harkila instead.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I had the Telemark - same type of jacket but with a folding hood. I am 6ft2, 45ins chest and wore an XL/52. I found it had no waterproof qualities at all to speak of, even with extra waxing. I quickly soaked through and had soaked base layers. It's a tough-ish, fairly windproof utility jacket, designed for climates where it is very cold and doesn't rain all the time. You really need a waterproof over the top.

I also found it easy to tear.

Apologies to those who like their G1000 jackets - it just didn't work for me. I get on much better with my Hydratic-lined Fjallraven products.

NS

Last edited:

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
It always depends on your needs. A heavy sweater like me prefers the combnation of polycotton (any brand) and a poncho. Others are perfectly happy with GTX or similar.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have the Greenland - I have a 44 chest and the large goes over a few layers.

I have used it on soaking wet warm days over a merino baselayer and been about as comfy as a hot rainy day permits, it is great in all but sustained wet weather.

I love it - it is my most favourite of my outdoor jackets without a doubt - and I would probably go to Tamarack for my next one, great people to deal with. My other favourite shop for outdoor kit (Lakeland Bushcraft) doesn't do them or I'd point you there for great service.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
same again, g 1000 is by no means waterproof, but i love it as a fabric for general day to day wear. fjallraven gear is high quality and looks cool. sizing comes up a touch big, but unless you're getting a lined one go for your usual size.

looking back at your post for dog walking and shooting etc where you're not going to die if you get a bit wet you'lll be fine (but damp) using g1000 as an outer layer.

Last edited:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
I have now found that there are NO Greenlands in stock seemingly anywhere!

So, with this in mind as well as the advise above I am now thinking one of the Hydratic models, and I'm thinking the Hunter. Does anyone have any experience with this jacket you could share with me please?
Or a similar Alternative to use and abuse in all weathers?
Thank you!

..... fjallraven gear is high quality and looks cool.

I know, Swedish youngsters wear them with erm, style...
110734591_1.jpg

I have now found that there are NO Greenlands in stock seemingly anywhere!

Even Fjällräven's own chain of stores is not showing them online, maybe its a Spring / Summer item?...

http://www.naturkompaniet.se

You could try getting a second hand one from one of these Swedish auction / sales sites...

http://www.tradera.com/search/result.aspx?search=greenland&catid=16

or

http://www.blocket.se/hela_sverige?q=greenland&cg=0&w=3&st=s&st=u&st=b&ca=11&l=0&md=th

But you will need lots of Google translate, and a co-operative seller, and yes there are better jackets around but still love mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE