Fitness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
So, what excercsise if any! Do you guys & gals do to keep fit?
I have just been for a morning run with my wife and I did 3 miles in 22m 49s. Not bad for a 50 year old.

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
walks with the dogs, but no where near enough. I do krav 3 times a week but thats not enough really, just ordered myself some kettlebells to use in the office :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
at least 30 miles on my bike each week. Plus, digging, hoeing, raking, lugging stuff about... :rolleyes:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i find that lifting those heavy pints really really takes its toll on me i can lift 8 or so then i have to lie down...

:D

na i cycle to work, its only 7 miles between here and my house, so there and back each day rain or shine ;)

tobes01

May 4, 2009
Hampshire
I'm a fatster, but have done the London to Paris cycle for the past 3 years - now in training for next year's Ride Across Britain, 1,000 miles from John O'Groats to Lands End in 9 days. Help!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Mountain bike, road bike, hillwalk, rock climb, canoe and sea kayak. Normally do two of those within one week. Coming into Mountain bike night ride season too. I'm lucky as Ratho is the biggest indoor climbing wall in the world and it's 20mins drive for me.

Nick

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
well im 29 and did a 3 mile run today in 28 minutes, ive a sedentary office job so need to make the effort to do physical stuff or pile on the pounds, ive noticed the overall benefits of being fitter, mean i can carry more beer and food into the woods.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
10 miles minimum per day on bike plus
I cover some ground walking recreationally ahem
Dont have a car
Smoke 20 fags a day and drink excessively on a routine basis
12 stone fit as a butchers dog
Whats not to love
lol?

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
does work count? being a tree surgeon im lugging big lumps of wood about and mucking about in trees. it keeps me pretty fit and iv noticed im getting more muscley since i started working full time:D
but the 10 hour days leave me completely nackered and haveing no energy to do anything at the weekends:eek: hopefull i'll get used to it

pete

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
I walk around 4 to 6 miles a day with my dogs. Planning on getting out more on my bike over the autumn and winter. Also we are lucky to have one of those keep fit clothes hanging rails in the back bedroom (cross trainer) if we ever get round to unearthing it.

I really do want to get rid of about a stone but not sure how well I will do!!!!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
yup, working outdoors certainly counts. Not to mention all the digging, wood chopping and the like.
The irony is that since I've started college (studying outdoorsy things) I no longer get as much time working outdoors as I'd like and the fitness is quickly departing.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
generally i just mantain the ability to pull my own bodyweight upward.
there's a 10ft wall near where i live which i test myself on ever now and then.

last year I could run up, grip the edge and pull myself up and over fairly easily. Last time I tried a few days ago I could'nt do it at all.

As a result I'm doing pullups on my porch to build my strength up again.

+A1 for digging.

grip, wrist, forearm, tricep, back, legs and core are what I tend to focus on. couldn't care less about the chest - i always use a basket anyway!

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I try to go running, for about an hour or so, once or twice a week. My day job is long hours, in offices or at clients' sites, so not much exercise there at all.

At the weekends walking, being active with my two little boys.

I'm currently on a diet as well :p

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I play 5-a-side twice a week and usually do some outdoorsy stuff at the weekend, could be walking, hunting or canoeing normally.

Also a smoker but I hardly ever drink.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Just back from a run and was shocked at how unfit I am when it comes to cardio!
There was me thinking high intensity weight lifting cover both bases (cardio and muscle) but in reality it is not so! I could barely manage 25 minutes of jogging!

Gerard Butler in an interview about his movie "300" he mentioned how he hates cardio and that all he does is weight training and when training for the movie he very quickly realised how poorly his cardio fitness was and secondly that weight lifting alone cannot give you the psysique he had during the movie.

Anyway there's a guy I came accross recently and I've been using his training techniques and philosophy for a month now and I really feel this guy is the real deal. His name is Ross Enamait, check out videos here http://www.youtube.com/user/rossenamait

I've been doing sandbag shouldering but using a concrete boulder. I'll buy an army top loading duffel bag and fill it with sand bags, soon. Just earlier today we were filling plastic bags with horse manure for the allotmont and I was barely able to pick them up to put them in the car boot. Half of them I needed help with so I can really see how sand bag shouldering can be a perfect way to develop real-world functional strength.

I've also been performing his door "pinch and lean" technique to strengthen my grip - ingenious!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE