first week at work

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
Started a new job this week, work mon-thurs with fri/sat/sun optional overtime. feels great to be working and earning again, and to top it off im nights next week and the pay is even better.

Just glad to be off the benefits now :)

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
It's a good feeling, isn't it? I just got a letter from DWP as requested so that I can put in my tax return and it would appear I received over 2000 quid in benefits last year! Saying that, I worked since I was a school leaver and found myself out of work, I paid into the pot and got some of it back so I'm not too concerned but at the time it was a shameful experience.

Hope you enjoy your new position and it turns out to be a goodjob

:D

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
It's a good feeling, isn't it? I just got a letter from DWP as requested so that I can put in my tax return and it would appear I received over 2000 quid in benefits last year! Saying that, I worked since I was a school leaver and found myself out of work, I paid into the pot and got some of it back so I'm not too concerned but at the time it was a shameful experience.

Hope you enjoy your new position and it turns out to be a goodjob

:D

i know how you feel, left school at 16 and worked until last year, when i was laid off. felt a tad 'degrading' to me in the job centre.

its a different direction of work but im now trying to be a CNC machinist

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Bonus!
the longest i spent out of work was 4 months, not counting temp jobs back in 01. worst time of my life! but i count myself lucky it was only 4 months.

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
Thanks all.. is there anybody else involved with this type of work? im in need of a decent pair of gloves, my hands are constantly wet with the cutting compound/coolant, and the swarf is cutting my poor fingers. does anybody know if mechanic type gloves will be ok?

Not looking forward to monday, its my first real experience with night shifts

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
You should be using barrier cream for starters, you don't want dermatitis as that could jeopardise your job. Speak to your line manager about relevant PPE, it may be you're not allowed to wear gloves as it could get caught on moving parts. Latex type gloves may be enough though and they shouldn't be an issue if they did snag on something.

grantdan

Forager
Feb 5, 2010
South Wales Valleys
You should be using barrier cream for starters, you don't want dermatitis as that could jeopardise your job. Speak to your line manager about relevant PPE, it may be you're not allowed to wear gloves as it could get caught on moving parts. Latex type gloves may be enough though and they shouldn't be an issue if they did snag on something.

Im using barrier cream, and there are latex and marrigolds readily available. I find the rubber gloves cut and tear after a short period due to sharp end and constantly cleaning the cutting bits, so was lookind for a more durable alternative

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Im using barrier cream, and there are latex and marrigolds readily available. I find the rubber gloves cut and tear after a short period due to sharp end and constantly cleaning the cutting bits, so was lookind for a more durable alternative

Go to your local surplus store and get some NBC outer gloves. They are a thicker rubber, you won't rip them in a hurry. Work should supply them so get a pair and if they are good get work to buy a job lot. They come in different sizes, so try different ones on.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
PPE must be provided by law, to all employees.

Barrier cream really does work, they should provide that at least. :)

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Perhaps kevlar anti-slash gloves may be suitable as they're specifically designed to resist sharp edged metal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE