First time in Scouts tonight as a volunteer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Hi guys, some of you were pretty interested in finding out how I got off in the Scouts initiation I had tonight.

Well I met Sue the area co-ordinator at the hall, I was pretty nervous although I dont know why because I have previously been a youth worker, but I think it was because I didnt know what to expect. But hand on heart, what a really generous and nice bunch of people working there, the kids dont know how lucky they are to have them.

Theres only 5 explorer scouts in this group, and they are basically looking for an Explorer Scout Leader to take them, which is why I was asked to go there tonight. Met all the 5 boys (excellent lads) we had a good laugh and just a general meet and greet tonight, we all planned what we are gonna do up untill the summer months which included Canoeing, Rock climbing, camping, fishing, archery, rifle range, go-karting, DofE stuff, hiking, and some service work.

So all in all, this meeting seemed to be their first after xmas and they are planning their 6 months, so good timing for me. Im thrilled to be on board because it looks a really good laugh.

Oh, and because there are stretched for staff, they only run every fortnightly, but Sue has said in a month or 2 I can run my own nights. Brillianttt!!

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sanji

Forager
Oct 20, 2006
Oban, Scotland
Sounded like you had fun, excellent news on the possibility of running your own night too :) you must be pretty hyped up ;)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Maxip

Forager
Dec 2, 2011
Cumbria, UK
Brill to hear you enjoyed it - most groups are really supportive of new helpers / leaders so don't be afraid to ask. POR (Policy Organisation & Rules) outlines what we can / can't do as leaders (or helpers) and is a lot easier to read & understand these days. As a suggestion, get to know your DC (District Commissioner) as they are the font of al knowledge Scouting in who can assess for what, who has what permits, etc. and generally don't mind the question of "I want to take them paint-balling / climbing / canoeing / etc." so what do I need to do or know.

Just remember, if you have fun & enjoy yourself, just think what the kids are getting out of it !!!

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Sue is our district commissioner, not area commissioner (my bad) And ill be with her every Friday probably as she is the one who has to lead these boys at the moment because they dont have another leader. Which will hopefully be myself in a few months. I was pretty shocked at all the permits they need for things, usually its just a risk assessment and your away, but its different here.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Sue is our district commissioner, not area commissioner (my bad) And ill be with her every Friday probably as she is the one who has to lead these boys at the moment because they dont have another leader. Which will hopefully be myself in a few months. I was pretty shocked at all the permits they need for things, usually its just a risk assessment and your away, but its different here.

Nice one - Permits are not too bad and are recognition that you are competent in that field to instruct or lead scouts.

I'm in Long Eaton now but was born and bred in Wales.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Okay thanks for that Roger,

Also, I was asked to get a CRB check aswell as we have to have new ones for every 'role', if you like. But on the direct.gov website, it says CRB's are free for volunteers, does this applied to the scouts aswell?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/DG_195811

Yes CRB's are free and that will be done when you do your forms. I've been Beaver and Cub Leader and help with our Scouts and Explorers as I have activity permits for Archery. Air Rifles, Camping and Rafting.

Its great fun and you will enjoy it

I used to live in Aberdare and then moved to Beddau nr Bridgend. Spent many a happy hour in Mragam park with Air Cadets camping.

If you need any infor then drop me a line

Roger

Jaymzflood, there are far too many youngsters on waiting lists to get into the various sections of the Scouts due to a lack of adult Leaders/helpers.
You're willing to give your time, knowledge, skills and companionship freely to these kids, something too few people are prepared to do in this world where a lot of people only care about "what's in it for them".
People like you can make a real impact on getting rid of these waiting lists and getting kids out Scouting.
Some people will tell you that you shouldn't, some will tell you that you can't. I'd humbly suggest you let the District/County team for your particular location worry about the rules and regulations and whether you're an athiest, agnostic, Buddhist, pagan or whatever. If you can't become a full member due to your views on religion you can still be a helper and make a massive difference. It is hard at times, sometimes you will wonder why the hell you're doing it. But more often than not you will have as much fun as the kids you are with (maybe even more!)
Go for it, in whatever capacity you can depending on the Scout Associations policies and rules, and you'll be an asset to your group. I wish I had people like you knocking on my Troop's door wanting to help out.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good on anyone giving up their time and energies to help out with any youth group :)
That said, BcUK only asks that three topics aren't discussed on the forum. Politics, religion and racism.

So, pretty please, because I really don't want to see a good thread like this closed, please desist.

Jaymz.....this could be a good place to post your own newbie leader's perspective on the forum :approve: The Scouts need adult leaders, and if it encourages other folks to think seriously about helping, it's all to the good :D

cheers,
Toddy

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Well done on giving up your time and experience for scouting.

I got involved as an occasional helper about six months ago, and so far I pretty much only have good things to say about it. There have been a few times when I haven't known how to behave - mostly due to lack of time for more experienced people to explain things. For example, do non-uniformed helpers salute the flag or would that be rude? It's easy enough to pick most things up as you go along though, especially if you have good leaders to check with. Good luck with it!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
So what sort of things will you be doing, what is the volunteers role in the scouts?

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
I.m a sgt with the sea cadets, there is a lot of politics and paper work but when you hand a cadet an rya power level certificate it's all worth it also take scouts boating both local and visitors from the uk so keep up the good work

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
what is the volunteers role in the scouts?

In essence whatever is needed and you can offer; some volunteers choose to make a commitment and when required wear a uniform other do not, no big deal either way. You don't always need to be directly involved in working with youngsters, perhaps admin, looking after kit or passing on skills to adults is your thing.

Scouting (and other youth organisation) needs lots of adults to offer what they can. Often time and skills beat money hands down but gets overlooked in modern society so kudos to those who come forward.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Jay,

Have they explained to you that at 22 there is actually a section called Scout Network (18-25) open to you in addition to volunteering if you ever need sometime out and not with us oldies :rofl

I was a DC so if you want to PM me anytime ... like rogeruk some things that I am not prepared to get into boring, pointless slanging matches about on forums

Peter

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This thread has been edited, moved to Leaders Chatter and re-opened.

You all know the rules, and you all know I have good reasons for my Modding actions.

Three things that we ask you not to discuss on the forum; Politics, religion and racism. That's it; not a lot really is it ?

Your understanding and compliance would be appreciated :D

Toddy

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Thanks Toddy,

And thanks to everyone who has replied with respect to the Scouting. Ive really enjoyed reading some of the stuff. And Peter I dont mind spending time with the oldies...I love hearing about WW2 stories ;) haha

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE