First night out on own!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Sorry no pic's folks just tooo darn wet to get the camera out!
Anyway as title suggested decided I had to try the M.k hammock on my own as my bc buddy is in France. Got to say it was quite spooky on my own and cause of the dark nights decided to turn in early and listen to the woods.
A few things that I discovered, dont wonder too far from camp without lighting it up for your return!!!! Yes I lost my hammock for 10 mins when I got my bearings back.
Next time will take ground sheet of some description as it stops getting cr8p all over the bottom of your sleeping bag when you are doing the 'hammock/ sleeping bag dance':rolleyes:
Dont drink a crusader cup full of tea before you get into the hammock.
Hammocks are cold!
Great night though even the walk back in the rain didn't get me down.
Put my scrim scarf over my face and got to see deer real close and heard by first deer 'barking' dead glad I had read about it on here before as I think I would have messed my trousers if I didn't know what it was......jeez scary sound at dusk on your tod!
Dave

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
dw mate once you get the setup right hammocks can be nice and warm in my experience. did you use a thermarest or something similar underneath you? sounds like you had a good time anyway.
Josh

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
No kidda I didn't! To be honest an inflatable do dar is on my list of things to get deffo now.
To be honest the forecast here was for pretty warm so I thought I would risk it.....wasn't too bad ended up in a hat and micra fleece.
Yes had a great night glad to off the floor as there was something scurrying around that would have bothered me.:eek:
Just got to get out more.....especially legally as not keen on stealth mode.
Site great for deer though Dave

Thrym

Forager
Dec 20, 2006
Bristol, England
Cool where abouts were you camping. Im always in stealth mode round these parts :bandit: need to get a car then i can venture off around a bit more, find some new places.
Josh

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Fella I will take this to pm's if you want as it may be deleted by mods.
But it isn't up your way so may not be of much relevance. I wish we had more rights here in England like Scotland as I'm sure responsible wild camping could be monitored/ regulated here too!! Stealth mode ok but much nicer to have candles/lamps etc lit oh a fire would be nice too!!!
All the best Dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Big hill in Wellington!
Been out looking for another nice spot and looked in a lovely pine forest but Jeez what a load of rubbish left!!!!!
Gets up my nose that I worry about staying out in places I shoudn't no fires etc only to see flippin cans of beer carrier bags and half burned pine tree cause their fire must have been masssive!!!
I'll calm down now Dave

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Last time I looked in at the scout camp up there it was appalling to see the rubbish which had been left in the fireplace..:cussing: maybe unauthorised users...maybe not :(

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Not been to scout camp for years was out near to the firing range in the pine woods.
Sad really been watching (and really enjoying) Survivorman and every where he go's he find rubbish,good for surviving bad for wildlife.
dave

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Brocton, yes the scout camp is on the Wrekin....still used dunno how much though.....I dont got that way very often more around the quarries as its great for spotting Raptors and deer.
Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE