First attempt at a backpack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I've been teaching myself sewing. I've done a few very basic projects but this was my most ambitious to date. I made my 6 year old daughter a cotton backpack with a main and secondary pocket, both with zippers. I then waxed it to weather proof it and increase its overall toughness.

All in all I'm fairly pleased with it for a first backpack. There's a "tag" of fabric at one point where one of the seams got away from me, and some of the stitching next to one of the zips probably could have done with reinforcing - I may have to fabric glue that if it fails. Also I'm wondering if I should have doubled the top row of stitching at the top of the straps. It's box stitching set to "Stretch Stitch" on my machine, so it's pretty strong regardless. We'll see. A 6 year old is about as good a testing-to-destruction as you could hope for, so how this bag fails will be instructive for the future.

IMG_20180320_092857388-576x1024.jpg

Reactions: Zingmo

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
In future I think I will double or triple stitch the top of the straps. However the "stretch stitch" setting on my machine is freakishly strong - it goes 2 forward one back. When I made a mistake it was very hard to undo even with a seam ripper, so I hope it will hold up to normal usage.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
Can't see photo. I'm just getting a small black box with an 'X' in it and the letters 'img'. The 'show picture' command doesn't help. :(

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
As an experiment I waxed one of the offcuts to this bag, and then lit it on fire. Waxed cotton is really quite flammable. It burns very readily, although on the plus side it doesn't burn all that fast. It was easy to extinguish.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's dangerous. Indeed I suspect it's a good deal less dangerous than a nylon bag, and won't turn to napalm as it burns.

I would certainly suggest staying away from sources of ignition with such a bag though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE