first aid storage solutions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I have 2 kits. A big base kit that lives in the car/bergen and a small pouch that stays on me. Whatever you go for, don't make it so big that you leave it behind when you wander into the woods.
I got both bags from eBay, just check the measurements.

Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I would be asking myself do I really need everything in the first aid kit.

Me too. However, Wildgoose has a point in that a small FA kit is all you generally need, if you feel you need more (and people have lots of reasons) then make up a bigger kit to depot.

My personal ket has a bandage and a few plasters in it - I reckon I'll get by. When I lead groups I take an ML kit to satisfy, or at least demonstrate, that I am taking reasonable measures toward the care of those people - I wouldn't lug it about normally :)

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
yes i do need everything and i am talking for base kamping with scouts because when its just me i have a normal bag for the bergan and a mini pouch that stays on me at all times.

so i was thinking big fishing box size due to it can have to hold all tablets and medicines for up to 120 people so its why i am asking
drew

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I carry a minor cuts kit on my belt and hang a larger kit under the stores / kitchen tarp when out with Scouts.

Drew, have you thought about using a dry bag? You can organise the contents with small zip lock bags...

simon

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I have all my loose items in coloured drawstring bags so I know which is which at a glance. FAK is in a red bag, washkit in a blue bag, ... etc.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Drew you should keep meds away from first aid supplies.

I keep meds in a plastic storage box in my tent...label individual Scouts meds clearly and keep a record of what you give and when you give it.

TBH I very rarely get given anything, so the box isn't that big. It always has a pack of rehydrate powder, some after Sun cream and a pack of paracetamol...but I don't give paracetamol without parental consent.

Simon

Last edited:

Pedagog

Sep 20, 2012
West Yorks
yes i do need everything and i am talking for base kamping with scouts because when its just me i have a normal bag for the bergan and a mini pouch that stays on me at all times.

so i was thinking big fishing box size due to it can have to hold all tablets and medicines for up to 120 people so its why i am asking
drew

Are well in that case, yes a fishing or tool type box would be better. Though I would keep medications (especially prescriptions) in a separate locked box.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
I like to keep meds and first aid seperate. You don't want someone "precribing" meds in an emergency. Not quite the same but I was once at a nasty incident where there was a genuine risk of someone bleeding out. I grabbed the first aid kit from a doctors car (on his instruction) to find it was a bag of drugs and surgical tools, not a single first aid item.
Go for a flight case/fishing box for meds, a waterproof bag for bleeds breaks and burns.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
i am in the process of doing it and well its why i am asking the questions

Have you got the book "Nights Away". If yes, have a look on page 86. If not, your Nights Away Advisor should have one you could borrow. Having said that, if you are going to be running Nights Away, I would strongly suggest getting a copy...it's the Bible as far as NAP procedures.

Are you coming to Midlewood? If yes we can have a chat if you like...I'm County Advisor, so have a little knowledge in this area:rolleyes:.

Simon

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
This is how I keep my first aid kit in camp, most of the group do the same, every one can see were it is if needed, can be unclipped and carried on the belt is away from the camp.

The contents are, plasters single and a plaster roll, a couple of dressings, eye pad, steri-strips, scissors, tick removers, a needle for removing splinters, small eye wash bottle's, safety pins, first aid wipes, gloves, Triangular Bandage, crape bandage, and a small key ring resuscitation mask.

DSC_0098.jpg

Woodland Sanitary Bag is kept in a old wash bag to hand, more then likely in the front pocket of my Bergan.

In that is Toilet Paper, Baby wipes, Hand Cleaner Gel, and a lighter.

My wash bag is kept separate.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE