First Aid Kit for Peru/Bolivia Extended Trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Hello All,

I would like any thoughts on the first aid kit which I am planning on taking to Peru / Bolivia/ Chile in June 2013. I'm planning an extended trip, of around 2 months and although its not bush crafting there is a lot of travel, some jungle trips and trekking in fairly remote areas. I have a first aid kit which I usually take away with me but I think a more comprehensive one will be needed for this trip. I'am thinking about getting one of these:

http://www.wildtrak.com/product.asp?ID=100

The pouch and organisation seems good as does the contents, but any thoughts on extra items to take?
I was thinking:

Extra trauma pads- in case of large wounds
Quick clot- contested on here so, should I take some in case of an emergency?
Extra tablets- immodium, re-hydration granules, paracetamol etc
Sterile needles kit?

Any thoughts on these and other things?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If you're not bushcrafting I'd do away with large dressings.

I would keep it simple and get the following:

Deep cut plasters
Regular plasters
Small roll of gaffa tape
Tweezers
Small scissors
Extra tablets- immodium, re-hydration granules, paracetamol etc
resolve for post hangover
Alcohol wipes
Antiseptic cream
Ampules of saline
Spare copy of travel insurance with useful telephone numbers
A bite clicky-don't-itch thing
Antibiotics (you can buy lots of goodies over the counter there)
Some potassium permanganate

I would put it in a small roll top pouch (Pod do a decent one). Generally if you're not doing serious bushcraft I wouldn't see the need for anything involving big incidents, no point trying to plan for everything.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
No exactly 1st aid (actually a hygiene need) but an often overlooked item none-the-less. Mosy of us don't take nail clippers on a short stay but they're a neccessity on extended trips.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
No exactly 1st aid (actually a hygiene need) but an often overlooked item none-the-less. Mosy of us don't take nail clippers on a short stay but they're a neccessity on extended trips.

I never leave home without one. :)

I would like any thoughts on the first aid kit which I am planning on taking to Peru / Bolivia/ Chile.... thoughts on these and other things?

Have you had any first aid training? Getting yourself on a course before the off would be worth while.

Last edited:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Nail clipping is one of the tasks I use small scissors for when away for a while. I love that some first aid kits come with those huge bonkers shears that can be used to cut people out of motorcycle leathers. They're good 'n' all but pretty limited in use.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Actually, I use clippers at home but don't take them away because they're a bit limited in function. If I had room, I'd take 'em. I always have clippers in my climbing kit for example.

To be honest, most of my packing choices are due to my huge sleeping bag in the winter and my tiny pack in the summer... one of these days i'll use my big pack in the summer and buy a down bag for the winter... until then, i'm stuck with small scissors. lol.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Whatever works for you. The point is that on an extended trip, you will need to cut your nails before you get home.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
I never leave home without one. :)

Have you had any first aid training? Getting yourself on a course before the off would be worth while.

Red Cross First Aid trained so no issues there.

Thanks for the info everyone, most important item- nail clippers ;)

I'am also packing DEET etc, I will most likely just buy a kit- too lazy to buy the individual contents!

Blankfisherman

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2004
Fareham, Hampshire
I went there some years ago and we were hiking in the Andes for alot of the time.

You can not take enough immodium and re-hydration granules!
How clean is the water you will be drinking? Water treatment tablets / iodine?
And when you do get Montezumas revenge dried biscuits seem to work for me (AB Browns).

Hope this helps.

Tom

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks Tom! Plenty of immodium it is! ;)

I plan on taking life systems chlorine tablets for water purification, but I will try and stock up on proper bottled water when I'm there.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Don't forget a sterile pack, contains canulars, syringes and sharps etc, life ventures do a travel pack, I have had one for years, yet to use but nice to know its there.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Don't forget a sterile pack, contains canulars, syringes and sharps etc, life ventures do a travel pack, I have had one for years, yet to use but nice to know its there.

Thanks Damascus, I was seriously considering one. If you have had one for a while. have you checked its still in date?

Any thoughts on Quick Clot type treatments anyone?

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Tom! Plenty of immodium it is! ;)

I plan on taking life systems chlorine tablets for water purification, but I will try and stock up on proper bottled water when I'm there.

Bottled water is a good idea but be advised there really are no standards for bottled water. Here it might mean purified water (distilled) which is obviosly safe. Or it might mean water bottled from a popular source (such as the Alagua Springs, etc.) which have met their 'Truth in Labeling' requirements just by stating Alagua Springs on the label. As an aside, Alagua Springs here in Florida is indeed a safe source, but not neccessrily all such sources are.

I suspect Latin American countries have similar requirements and that might be more confusing if you cain't read the language on the labelling.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Again, not neccesarily 1st aid but medical advice none-the-less:

1. Make sure your vaccinations are up to date. Here's a link to the CDC website regarding Peru www.nc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/peru.htm and one regarding Bolivia www.nc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/bolivia.htm

2. If you wear eye-glasses, take spares and a copy of your prescription.

3. If you're on any perscription medication there are three things you need to do:
A. Take a copy of the prescription.
B. Take a good enough supply of the meds themselves to see you through the entire stay (don't assume you'll be able to get the Rx filled in-country or that their meds will be the same quality)
C. Check with the destination county's embassy before you travel to be certain that any and all meds you take with you (including those in your FAK) are legal there.

gravelmonkey

Feb 11, 2013
UK
Duct-tape, duct-tape, duct-tape (blisters, fixing kit etc, buy a big roll and re-wrap it around a chopped down Bic pen or similar).

Anti-fungal powder.

Chap-stick.

1*Large dressing pad - esp if you're jungle trekking with machete's etc.

Edit: Meant to say, if you buy a pre-made kit, go through it to familiarise yourself with where everything is, its a lot easier doing it at home in the dry than one-handed, in a downpour, with one hand because you've sliced the other.

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I went there some years ago and we were hiking in the Andes for alot of the time.

You can not take enough immodium and re-hydration granules!
How clean is the water you will be drinking? Water treatment tablets / iodine?
And when you do get Montezumas revenge dried biscuits seem to work for me (AB Browns).

Hope this helps.

Tom

This is very good advice, bad water is the first thing that will make you ill. I think I would consider a filter something like the MSR waterworks, these fit straight on to Nalgene and MSR Dromedary bags reducing the risk of contamination. Expensive perhaps but worth it IMO, we take for granted clean water yet you really can't in South America. On my Bolivia trip only two out of twelve managed to avoid some form of sickness during the trip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE