Firestick made easy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
Have you ever showered your dry tinder with sparks over and over but for some reason it won't catch?
Okay,
1. Hold the firestick in your fingers in such a way that you can place your thumb on the striking surface.

2. Place some tinder between your thumb and the firestick.

3. Place your knife across the tinder and the firestick and lift your thumb; so now your knife is holding the tinder against the firestick.

4. With a little more pressure than usual, strike, taking the tinder with the knife - it's so much more efficient.

This also works with thicker heavier tinder than usual. For example; dry leaves. Simply put a small dry leaf under the knife and it will catch.

How do we know if the leaf is dry enough?

1. If you can crumple the leaf in your hand it is wet.

2. If the leaf breaks up in your hand it is dry.

Bear

Jan 8, 2004
Warwickshire
great, just tried it

just light willowherb (seed pods & a few seeds) & birch bark
it seems to wear the firestick (firestriker) away more though

scolebo

Bear Stone

Tenderfoot
Jan 11, 2004
Birmingham UK
You're right, it is best to use a little more pressure but look at it this way; you're pretty sure it's going to work first strike. Whereas unless you use Dandylion seed heads or the like it might take sevral strikes to get a take.
My favorite thing about using this method is that it opens up the scope for heavier tinders. :-D

Bear

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Yep.. a little more pressure and you get a fire with your first strike.... its worth it in my opinion :)

Good tip :biggthump

Ed

This method works great!
I'm amazed that I've never heard of it before.
I had no problem starting some fresh fireweed fluff with a variety of rods, even the small ones. While we use fireweed fluff a great deal, it's always stuff that's collected under rocks etc, and has had the wax washed out of it. The fresher stuff is too waxy to start easily.
I shall be giving the method another try on my way back in to do some work tonight - it's in the -30's with windchill and with a strong wind blowing it'll be interesting to see how the method works. I'm figuring that with the smaller piece of tinder properly ignited and scooped down into a tinder bundle by the striker - things should go rapidly with the wind.
It's sure a supert method to know with the wet conditions that we have most of the year (except when it's really cold like now...).
Thanks, Bear!

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Doh... I got it wrong. Got confused somewhere and tried this holding the tinder bundle against the back of the knife with me thumb. Seemed to work OK though 8/10 i reckon. Certainly alot more controlled trying to flick sparks into nest of tinder on the floor. Try it and see what you think?
Rich

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Thats the one Ed, made myself some charcloth at the weekend (THANKS FOR THE TUTORIAL SIMON :You_Rock_ )
So its exactly what i was messing with. I try this amazing new technique soon.
Rich

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Super technique - tried it the other day and it worked great. Seems ideal for those windy days!
Thanks!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Tried this today, not outdoors, but in me kitchen. I started with a cigarette paper and ended up using a square of 80 gram printer paper. I got it to burst into flames without any shredding or anything.

Give it a go....

wow.jpg

Great technique, thanks!!! :wink: :cool: :)

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
It works great with birch bark too ... and dry leaves.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Be careful with tinders that catch light easy though ... with cotton wool (with or without vaseline), you could end up with a handful of fire!!!! :bu:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE