Firesteel contraversy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not used a lighter to light a fire in years!
I much prefer a trad flint and steel - it is a lot more fun...and I am out there to have fun :)
I do carry a "pocket blowtorch" ... but that is for canoe repairs and...desperation!
A sparkstick is in my kit/on my knife sheath for the odd play - and for trangias!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was intrigued by the storm kettle point above. I always light mine through the air hole (with a lighter or matches) - never thought about trying to direct sparks down the chimney!

As for being "lighter-ist" - who are these millionaires carrying about Bic branded lighters? :D

Never thought about lighting my (albeit knock-off) Trangia with a firesteel - never had problems with matches. Will have to give that a go someday

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try and get some birch bark going with the sparks from a lighter, nay chance.......

ferro rod every time, it does not fail to produce sparks, burns at around 3000 deg C i believe, lights damp tinder with a few scrapes,,,,;)

jobs a fish, each to there own though.....

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
try and get some birch bark going with the sparks from a lighter, nay chance.......

That's partly my point, though. I'd be using the sparks to light the gas in the lighter and use the subsequent flame to make my bigger fire. What are the chances that your lighter would run out in the bush?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That's partly my point, though. I'd be using the sparks to light the gas in the lighter and use the subsequent flame to make my bigger fire. What are the chances that your lighter would run out in the bush?
What has happened to me with disposable lighters is that the flint has worn out or the £$£""%^*^%$% top of the lighter has pinged apart and the flint etc all gone flying!
On one occasion the thumb peddal had been depressed in the pack and all the fuel simply went.....
That does not happen with a sparkstick or flint and steel sets....

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
What has happened to me with disposable lighters is that the flint has worn out or the £$£""%^*^%$% top of the lighter has pinged apart and the flint etc all gone flying!
On one occasion the thumb peddal had been depressed in the pack and all the fuel simply went.....
That does not happen with a sparkstick or flint and steel sets....

Happened to me on so many occassions. The build quality of clippers has declined I've noticed too.

Liam

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
A good argument for having a firesteel as a backup but still think a lighter is more convenient if time is an issue. I'll keep practising with my firesteel but didn't have a lot of luck on a damp day in the woods a couple of weeks ago

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
and if it does run out (unlikely in a week) then I'm sure it would be possible to light a fire using the spark alone and some suitable tinder.

while I quite like the sparklite's this approach with a disposible lighter is actually quite tricky unless you have cotton PJB's

[

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE