Firesteel contraversy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
PJB? Pyjama bottoms?

Ah, petroleum jelly balls...

Sparklite looks like an identical concept to the Zippo Emergency Fire Kit that someone was given the other day

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
PJB? Pyjama bottoms?

Ah, petroleum jelly balls...

Sparklite looks like an identical concept to the Zippo Emergency Fire Kit that someone was given the other day

Sorry US forum slang - been spending way too much time over there :D

the sparklites been around for a very long time originated as part of the USAF avation survival kit Zippo just copied the concept

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I always carry 3 lighters as I'm a smoker and not having a light makes me pretty stroppy. Up Cnicht a few weeks ago, 3 new lighters failed at the same time! I wasn't a happy bunny. I then managed to light my rollie with the spark from the lighter!

Duct tape wrapped round a lighter top will stop gas escaping, keeps it waterproof and the tape can be used to start a fire in an emergency-it flares up well even when wet. I didn't do this to my 3 failed lighters.

Sapper-Try lighting cold meths in a trangia with a bic lighter.
This is why I use a firesteel.

Dip a twig in the alcohol, light it, light trangia with lit stick-works much better in cold temps ;)

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
dont forget that the plastic lighter "gas" case cracks really easy too, then all the gas escapes and no flame.....:(

as for things being easy, yes it is, but i dont choose the fire steel bow drill or now the hand drill for ease, i choose it because its harder and i can get what i need from the land, its a skill i choose to practice and try and be proficiant at.....

as i said before each to there own, no right or wrong way to light a fire as long as you get the result you want in a safe manner.....

regards.

chris...

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i learnt a new way of doing things just lately as far as fire goes, if you take a little tea candle i think they are called the little ones people have in there houses, light that first, and then you have plenty of time to light other things, it saves your lighter and you firesteel.
i'm a smoker and still light my fire's with the firesteel, don't think i have started a fire with out it to be honest, but now i light the candle, and use that, works a treat.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This evening I cooked my supper in my military Trangia which I lit with a ferro rod. I was in the kitchen, there's a four-ring electric hob and a microwave, but I prefer to use the Trangia. I like the shape of the pans and I prefer to eat from the pans that I cook in. There must be at least half a dozen lighters within five metres of the cooker but the ferro rod happened to be handier. The wife wouldn't have let me do it if she'd been in. :)

Lumber Jack

Tenderfoot
Jul 3, 2011
I'm from Yorkshire, lad.
Has anyone tried lighting a ciggie with a firesteel? Just curious as to how you'd manage that. Perhaps someone could give it a go and post the best technique!!

YES!

This happened many times over the years. I'd noticed I'd forgotten my lighter a couple of miles from home but thought "stuff it, I can last." Anyway, several seconds later the actual thought of not having a cigarette hit me and I went into what I call the "ECLP-Emergency Cig' Lighting Procedures." I was smoking roll ups at the time as I was trying to kick "real" cigarettes into touch. I took one of the rizla papers, laid it out and scraped some ferro into the opened up paper. I got as close to it as possible so I didn't miss my chance to light. One flick of the scraper down the shaft of the ferro rod and the paper went up like a blue light, nearly taking off some of my facial hair with it. That said, I got my light. I was ever so pleased with myself. And told myself so for several days afterwards.

For anybody who's ever caught out without a light but has a ferro rod to hand. the ECLP is as follows;

Rizla or paper taken from the inside of cigarette packet.
Lay out on non flammable surface.
Scrape some of the ferro' rod into the paper.
Crouch close (but not too close) to the paper, ready to receive your light.
Shower paper with sparks.
Inhale, exhale and enjoy.

Sorry for the thread Hijack. But It made me relive a funny moment. :)

LJ.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
YES!

This happened many times over the years. I'd noticed I'd forgotten my lighter a couple of miles from home but thought "stuff it, I can last." Anyway, several seconds later the actual thought of not having a cigarette hit me and I went into what I call the "ECLP-Emergency Cig' Lighting Procedures." I was smoking roll ups at the time as I was trying to kick "real" cigarettes into touch. I took one of the rizla papers, laid it out and scraped some ferro into the opened up paper. I got as close to it as possible so I didn't miss my chance to light. One flick of the scraper down the shaft of the ferro rod and the paper went up like a blue light, nearly taking off some of my facial hair with it. That said, I got my light. I was ever so pleased with myself. And told myself so for several days afterwards.

For anybody who's ever caught out without a light but has a ferro rod to hand. the ECLP is as follows;

LJ.

If I ever meet you LJ, I'm buying you at least 1 pint :)

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I lit some weeds on fire once to get a cig lit in the wind, burned off the front of my hair but I did get the cig lit. I was 7 years old at the time. Probably one of the first of many life's mistakes.
As for carrying a lighter instead of a Firesteel, well, the darn lighters break. I have had them stop working, run out of fill while something pushed the button in my pocket and they must be dried before working. A firesteel will work no matter what. The only issue potentially is losing the thing. Get 2!

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
YES!

LJ.

You can also do the same with a standard flint lighter, just spin the wheel slowly above the rizla to catch the powdered flint, once you have a small pile flick the flint normally to produce sparks and the rizla will go up.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I like firesteels but...never use them these days to be honest. I carry a couple of bics on me, have another couple in my pack, have a couple in my brew kit and manage to light cold meths (sorry Sapper, don't know what your doing wrong mate;)).

So, I've a firesteel with my 2010 but its there out of habit and not functionality for me, that said they are a fantastic backup and if I ever had a survival kit I'd include one in it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
My impression is (and I may well be wrong) that the flame from an everyday gas lighter is 'colder' than the flame produced by a match or fire stick. In my experience tinder will catch more readily from a match than from a lighter and I always presumed that this was the reason.

Matches are my primary method of making a fire, I have lighters of verious types, usually carry a fire stick and sometimes make fire with the bowdrill or flint & steel for fun. :)

Last edited:

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Poke your self hard in both eyes with the Ferro rod ....and you cant find your Ciggies so problem solved ;)

My ciggies are still in the shop, I don't smoke, never have. Just wondered if one could be lit with a ferro rod. I'm not making a point just would like to see it done one day just for fun.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I like firesteels but...never use them these days to be honest. I carry a couple of bics on me, have another couple in my pack, have a couple in my brew kit and manage to light cold meths (sorry Sapper, don't know what your doing wrong mate).

Burning my fingers as I try to get the flame to reach the bottom of the burner.I use an evernew burner that uses less fuel than a trangia and the fuel cant be easily returned to the bottle if you can extinguish it,so there is a lot less fuel and therefore it's further away from the top of the burner.I think if the fuel was warmer then maybe it would work with a bic.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE