Fire starting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
I have had a pot of potasium permangate for a long time
My dad used it to soak his feet to control athleats foot from pit boots
I have just purchased some glycerine from the chemist and tried to use the two for firelighting
Nothing happened
I have just tried it again with a ball of cotton wool
Nothing happened
I called in another chemist I have local and asked the pharmasist if there was different types of glyceriine and he said no
When I told him the pot-perm was old he said that may be the problem
The pot-perm looks like iron fillings and turns the water pink to mauve as it disolves
He said you will have dificulty obtaining it now with it causing skin problems
Any one tried it with success?
I have seen the youtube with Ray mears using it
Mick

wattsy

Native
Dec 10, 2009
Lincoln
you need to mix the potassium permanganate with sugar in a 9:1 ration then add a few drops of glycerin to ignite it

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
  • Crush / grind the pot. perm into a finer powder as it increases surface area and makes the reaction faster.
  • Use about a teaspoon full, make a small mound and then make a "well" at the top with a small stick.
  • Pour the glycerine into the well and wait...on a hot day it will be almost instant, on a cold day it takes longer for the reaction.

Don't try this indoors as it produces a thick purple smoke!

let us know how you get on...

Simon

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have used sugar/PP (no glycerine) and friction to create fire and I have used Glycerine (anti-freeze actually)/PP (no sugar) wrapped tightly in newspaper to create fire...but never all 3 together...does the sugar realy help with the glycerine?

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
sugar gives you a longer hotter burn because of the calorie content its just a fuel basically

Slightly off topic, but the sugar was used in a molotov cocktail to make it melt, stick and burn, and then they developed napalm and gel fuels etc etc.

JamieG

Jan 3, 2010
North Somerset
Try some PP with anti freeze. I use to great effect, make a small "nest" out of newspaper, pour in some PP and then pour in some antifreeze, scrumple up the newspaper (this mixes the ingredients) and then place on a non combustable surface and wait. It takes anything from 10 seconds to about 1 min.
If you grind PP and sugar make sure that you wear safety specks as the sparks can and do fly erratically.

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Tried again today added some sugar and a pinch of pot perm and ground them finer
Tipped on to a ripped up kitchen towel and poured a few droppes of glyserine on
Nothing
Will try antifreeze next
Mick

njc110381

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Gloucester, UK
Last time I tried this I just took a teaspoon of PP powder and a teaspoon of Glycerine, shoved them together and it went. No effort at all, it took maybe 20 seconds to light?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
try grinding the pp and sugar with a stick in a bow brill board instant sparks....

also the pp and antifreeze thing works you will have to try the mix/ratio though.

hope this helps chris.......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE