Finland trip, March 2013 - planning and preperation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I'd be well chuffed if someone could do some screen grabs of the tracking data, I believe it's only valid for 7 days so will be gone by the time I return.

I'll do the best I can, I'm going away tomorrow but will leave the pc on tracking untill I'm back, 4 or 5 days, will that work ?

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
You need to do a screen capture and save the file as a .jpg. The tracking website constantly updates and starts to delete data 7 days after the trip began.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
27-02-13.jpg

Have a good one Bob

Last edited:

Mikko S

Mar 13, 2010
Helsinki, Finland
"Lamppuöljy" is lamp oil I presume?

That stuff contains wax, and is cancer for burners, as it will block it up and it will stop working. And that just won't do.

Use char coal lighter fluid, it is the most clean burning kerosene there is.

For some reason Kerosene is often sold as "lamppuöljy" or "erikoislamppuöljy" in Finland, so that is most likely what you will see printed on the bottle at the gas station. Usually on the back it will say that it can be used for devices that need lamp oil or kerosene. (lamppuöljy or valopetrooli) It can be very confusing to find a right stuff for your pressure stove because of this naming style.

But the non vegetable oil based charcoal lighter fluid would probably work too.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
For some reason Kerosene is often sold as "lamppuöljy" or "erikoislamppuöljy" in Finland, so that is most likely what you will see printed on the bottle at the gas station. Usually on the back it will say that it can be used for devices that need lamp oil or kerosene. (lamppuöljy or valopetrooli) It can be very confusing to find a right stuff for your pressure stove because of this naming style.

But the non vegetable oil based charcoal lighter fluid would probably work too.

Again. if that lamppuöljy Lamp oil contains wax, like most Lamp oils do, it will block the nozzle of the burner. It's fine for everything that use a wick, but is killing a pressure type of burner.

Kerosene based charcoal lighter fluid, the stuff you use to light charcould in you barbecue, on the other hand is very clean and is excellent kerosene burner fuel.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Fun isn't it? :)

Are you a little anxious?

The weather looks to be playing ball for you. I'm looking at the GFS and ECM weather charts and it looks consistently cold at -15c to -25c with no real storms in the offing. A little low pressure forms at the weekend. Probably breezy at times.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'm beyond anxious, I'm at the stage where I just don't care anymore, what' s the worse that can happen? Ok I could slip on the ice and break a leg, then crawl to the nearest road and get run over by a Russian truck driver then raped by a horny bear, mauled by wolverine then I could drown in an icy river and my corpse could be nibbled by perch before being washed ashore and gnawed by wolves. Nothing to worry about really.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I'm beyond anxious, I'm at the stage where I just don't care anymore, what' s the worse that can happen? Ok I could slip on the ice and break a leg, then crawl to the nearest road and get run over by a Russian truck driver then raped by a horny bear, mauled by wolverine then I could drown in an icy river and my corpse could be nibbled by perch before being washed ashore and gnawed by wolves. Nothing to worry about really.

Love it mate. Glass half full :D

could be worse, you could be here :D

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

At least your still part normal then Bob. :) They're only flesh wounds anyway.

You know the worst that can happen and hopefully the Teflon pants'll help :lmao:

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Ahh.. The Firey Pants of Shame!...Happy days...

Nibbled by Perch!? Not on a first date!!

I'm comming with ya next year... And i'm bringing Teepee! ( that'll learn ya! )

C.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Minus 22 last night. Lake inari has good ice but is covered in water, currently having a sticky bun and a rethink.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Minus 22 last night. Lake inari has good ice but is covered in water, currently having a sticky bun and a rethink.

Lake Tornetrask looked like that. Turned out it was perfectly formed ice that the wind had scoured of snow and it was a metre thick. Great swathes looked like water.

Take local advice and eat more buns :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE