Finland trip, March 2013 - planning and preperation.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I fancy a trip to Finland, probably from the 14th - 22nd March. I'll fly up to Ivalo and then get a bus (or walk) up to Inari. I may book a hotel for a night either end of the trip to allow me to collect my thoughts, prepare kit etc.
There's 3 flights a day so transport shouldn't be a problem.
The hotels have websites with online booking so that's as good as sorted.
I've got most of the kit that I need bar the skis.
I've got 3 months to get fit.
I've got the cash ready.
I've got plenty of leave left.

Sorted. (Apart from the transport from the airport to Inari)

Roll on next March...

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
The current plan is to walk to Ivalo from the airport on the day after the flight. I'll buy fuel, maps and food then start a 2 day ski trip up to Inari.

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Here's my tent (Akto), kipmat (Downmat 7) and charriot (PHD Baltoro 800)
IMG_0139.JPG

My rucksack (Pod Xpod 80 litre)
IMG_01421.JPG

Cookware testing in the kitchen. I'll be taking the Evernew system, probably with a 900ml pan or pot
IMG_0143.JPG

My daytime clothing. Paramo Aspira system with merino thermals, neoprene overboots and Rab Photon Hoodie. I'll also have std Buff, merino Buff and Buff hoodie.
IMG_01451.JPG

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'll be using skis as snowshoes. What I do can hardly be described as skiing. I think I shall travel at night so no-one can see me!

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
My spare clothing (minus the insulated trousers I have yet to buy)
3 spare pairs undercrackers
3 x thin socks
3 x thick socks
2 x merino tops
1 x merino long johns
1 x duvet
IMG_01481.JPG

Odds and sods
IMG_0150.JPG

Hats and buffs
IMG_0152.JPG

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Is there room next to the highway?
You can easily keep around 500 meters distance to the highway throughout the whole journey. The closest you get to the highway is at the Rahajärvi-Ukonjärvi isthmus midway between the towns. The two other options are to go around the Rahajärvi lake and lengthen the journey by some ten kilometers or cross the lake(s). Although the ice is quite strong with skis during March, I would not recommend it without having a pair of ice picks.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Some good gear on the go there , Nice one ,

Just have a few questions ;),

I guessing you want to save weight with the meths cook kit is that why your not using somthing like a primus omnifuel? ( But it may flare in your small tent , that would be bad :().

What food you concidering , Turmat or fresh ?.

You mentioned changing your tent is that due to snow loading ?.

Looking forward to seeing the photos

Twodogs

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've got an Omnifuel (and the much lighter Primus Express Lander AKA Spider Multifuel) but I'm not sure about the availability of fuel in Ivalo or Inari. I used Google Earth street view to explore the towns and found a sports shop but my Googlefu revealed that it closed 2 years ago! If I was 100% sure I could get Coleman fuel or gas cannisters I'd be tempted to take the multi-fuel stove. I won't be cooking inside the tent unless I'm snowed in for an extended period. I've had a near miss due to monoxide poisoning, admittedly with a propane forge, and it's not a nice feeling to say the least.
I may well just rely on the Evernew as it performed well in Norway, during testing last weekend I found it to be more than twice as fast as a Trangia. Hopefully meths is as widely available in Finland as it is in Norway.

Food for the first night (before I've had a chance to buy fuel) will be energy bars, salami and crisps. I will be carrying about 5 days worth of dried expedition food which I will supplement with fresh goodies from a local shop. This will probably be high fat food such as cheese, salami etc; mostly food that does not require cooking. Not the most appertising choice but simple and it will keep me alive. Just.

Snow loading is the issue with the Akto, even when 'double poling'. The Soulo is much better equipped to handle snow and I've found one at a sensible price second hand. Just need to sell my Akto now!

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I found all the liquid stove fuals avalible in the petrol stations in Norway and Sweden I wonder if Finland is the same?

Aktos sell very well as you know :) crackin little tent .

Good luck with the planning

Twodogs

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE