Finally one for me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Finally got around to getting to play with my new knife and got some pics today. I started this over a year ago doing a bit of work then leaving it to collect dust. Got fed up with doing knives for others and not having one myself so I figured I better crack on! Here it is finally...

DSC00722.jpg

DSC00725.jpg

DSC00729.jpg

DSC00732.jpg

DSC00735.jpg

It's still a work in progress but nearly there. I need to sand and polish the blade then it's done. All done with a hand file and stones, those bevels took ages! I etched a buffalo on there and my maker's mark on the other side. 4mm O1 Carbon with black fibre liners and pewter liners and buffalo horn scales and stainless pins. I wanted to try a baldrick sheath and love it so far after trying it today. You wouldn't know it from the pics but the sheath is a dark green and looks nice in person, I'm terrible at taking pics of knives still, they never do it justice!

Thanks for looking. Chad

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Stunning.I love the stainless pins against that buffalo horn.
Beautiful filework too ; that is a handsome thing indeed!
Cheers , Simon

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Like the high grind ;) :approve: . Have you played yet or are you waiting 'til it's finished?
Cheers Phil, had a play a few times over the last few days. Got it hair popping sharp and ran outside to try it out. Works well so far! You know I'm a glutton for punishment when I make these, always with the massive bevels and that equals too much time making and sharpening!

Very nicely done and all the more impressive is the fact that you used only hand tools.
Thanks for that, if it wasn't a hobby I'd go for a good linisher to really knock them out but I enjoy taking my time with files, rasps and water stones. :rolleyes:

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Chad you really have blown me away on this one!! WOW.. everything looks great!!! i love the layout of the pins, Did you make your own etcher for the blade? Id love to own one of your knives one day! Beautiful stuff..

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Chad you really have blown me away on this one!! WOW.. everything looks great!!! i love the layout of the pins, Did you make your own etcher for the blade? Id love to own one of your knives one day! Beautiful stuff..

Alright Cowboy. I just put nail varnish on the blade where it'll get etched and scratch out what I want with a big sharp needle. Hook a lantern battery to the blade with an alligater clip and wire on the positive then put cotton wool soaked in salt water in the negative clip and dab the etching. You can see it go dark in no time. The nail varnish stops the metal from corroding where you don't want it to be etched. Clean the nail varnish off and voila! An etched blade. Real easy...I can pm you a pic if that helps.

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Alright Cowboy. I just put nail varnish on the blade where it'll get etched and scratch out what I want with a big sharp needle. Hook a lantern battery to the blade with an alligater clip and wire on the positive then put cotton wool soaked in salt water in the negative clip and dab the etching. You can see it go dark in no time. The nail varnish stops the metal from corroding where you don't want it to be etched. Clean the nail varnish off and voila! An etched blade. Real easy...I can pm you a pic if that helps.

Brilliant little tip there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE