Few axe handles tonight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have a bit of a problem in that I can never resist buying old axe heads. They do pile up a bit though and I don't often get round to dealing with them. Anyway tonight I made these handles up. The ash was cleft some time ago so is pretty dry but I'll leave them a few days indoors before fitting wedges. The smallest one is the tiniest axe head I have ever seen.
IMG_6251.jpg

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
haha look at the axes in the background. Choping block in your front room, jelous! if only i could get away with this!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Fantastic work sir, and just to say I have finaly got my hands on H L Edlins 'Woodland Crafts in Britain .
Fantastic book !!
Happy xmas.
Chris.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
They do look good Robin.
Mine have all flown the nest, all but one small Gem, people seem to think the small one is not up to much.
There loss is my gain.

flexo

Forager
Dec 3, 2010
france
I have a bit of a problem in that I can never resist buying old axe heads. They do pile up a bit though and I don't often get round to dealing with them. Anyway tonight I made these handles up. The ash was cleft some time ago so is pretty dry but I'll leave them a few days indoors before fitting wedges. The smallest one is the tiniest axe head I have ever seen.
IMG_6251.jpg

nice work!me too i enjoy assessing homemade new hafts on garage sale axe heads! on my five bushcraft axes (and hatchets) trhee handles are home made,and sometimes second hand head are just damned good!

pd:watch out when you seat on the sofa!

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Howdy Robin, What would be the minimum diameter of ash to get a 36" ish straight handle for a 5lb double bit, I have a few culprits that might fit the bill,

Measure the hole/eye front to back. say it is 70mm then when you cleave into 1/8ths the central 10mm (pointy bit of each triangular cleft) is going to be too thin so you need to start from about 160 diameter, or 180 to be safe. You can make them out of smaller diameter timber by using a tangential rather than radial cleft but it is a bit more work.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Measure the hole/eye front to back. say it is 70mm then when you cleave into 1/8ths the central 10mm (pointy bit of each triangular cleft) is going to be too thin so you need to start from about 160 diameter, or 180 to be safe. You can make them out of smaller diameter timber by using a tangential rather than radial cleft but it is a bit more work.

Brilliant, thank you dude, Would you mind if i bump the thread if i need some help? First handle an all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE