Fear of the dark

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
it's gotta be a step in and out, unless it's just someone pratting about and they stuffed it into the bank. it just makes me wonder, what would it be like to actually lock eyes with this person while they were doing their thing? you know to actuallly rumble them? would they run off? or just shrug it off, just keeps making me thing of that film with tommy lee jones and bencio de torro, think its called hunted or something. all that smooth soled shoes and covered in mud stuff. lol bloody frightening it is!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've got an IP camera with night vision and motion detection you could borrow Jon, you'd need power, a long network cable and a PC down there though :)

The paddle can't be for getting out of the water as it would break under the weight surely. I reckon he's watched a few too many of Rays stuff and maybe he's trying a few things out like leaching out tannins from acorns or even some cordage making maybe.

Whatever he's up to I reckon we should organise a mini stealth meet one night and get the perimeter surrounded.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How deep is the water on average where the paddle is Jon ? Is there access on the other bank, maybe he's using it as a marker so he kind find his dug outs again.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
How deep is the water on average where the paddle is Jon ? Is there access on the other bank, maybe he's using it as a marker so he kind find his dug outs again.

i like the marker idea, JD says its usually under the water there, we couldn't be be talking about someone floating themselves down the river freestyle could we? during the summer time at least? feeling along the bank for the paddle and knowing then where they are? the footprint was found on the bank wasn't it? it surely would allow for a trace free entry and exit as far as arrival at the site is concerned. after that my money is on a james bond style jet pack in to leave no sign! woooooooshh!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Where the oar has been placed, the bank is a 7ft vertical from the stream base. The depth of the stream in that spot is about 6 inches to a foot in the deepest part. In Winter the whole 7ft stream is flooded with rain and melt water (as it is now). You can easily climb out of the water in the height of Winter but for the rest of the year it is a shallow brook in that part. The oar is embedded at least 2 1/2 feet into the side of the bank, which rules out throwing it into the bank. It must have been put there from late Summer and soon after I last went there judging by the weathering and corrosion around where it enters the bank. It would easily support someones weight. It is unlike our friend MO to leave blatant sign like this though, so I'm wondering if he doesn't come down at all during Winter months.

This is the exact spot in Spring/Summer....

13July200824.jpg

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Perhaps the paddle is being used with a fishing line over a period of time sort of like a long line. Line and baited hook attached and left like a snare, to be checked from time to time?

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Have just spent God knows how long reading this thread and have to say I'm gripped by this 'bushy mystery'. I want to meet this guy...or do I? Reminds me of an episode of the X-Files where a new species of human have evolved to be completely at one with the woods, making them formidable hunters, almost impossible to track/see and quite a force to be reckoned with. I look forward to watching this unravel!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE