Favourite socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I like Bridgedale for long distance walking, they are expensive but worth it imo. I also like the Czech army long wool socks @ £10 for 5 pairs from military mart, outstanding value!(no connection to Military Mart) I also really like the Russian army long wool socks, they seem a bit thicker than the Czech army ones and I think they have a higher wool content. I have seen the Russian army ones on ebay for 10 pairs at £24.49.

I use the surplus socks in my job as a gardener and they always keep my feet warm and comfortable.

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Harkila expedition socks obtained from Bushwear in Scotland. Awsome sock like all the Harkila gear I have to date, stunning quality. I think they were around the £15 mark. Good luck.

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
My favorite sock is the Darn Tough Boot Sock. I've been using them for the past few years and like them better than any other sock I've previously owned.

1405_olive.jpg

http://darntough.com/

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Smart wool are the business in my opinion. Used them for a week without washing and no smell whatsoever even after a full days walking every day for that week. They dry quickly and wick sweat so no blisters! They do warm weather and cold weather versions so they have all year round use. Brilliant!

I should add I have some bridgedale socks but they are useless unless you have the option of washing them after each use. They do fit the feet better than the smart wools but I still prefer the higher wool content and comfort of the smart wool socks.

Last edited:

Green Knight

May 15, 2012
NW - UK
+1 Bridgedales & Smartwool range - only socks i've worn all year round for last 2 years - i buy in bulk when 1/2 price deal on at Cotsworlds, which is quite common.

To reduce wear i use a very thin sealskinz liner sock.

Like troutman mentioned Smartwool won't smell even after a week but Bridgedales smell after 1 day.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I use homeknitted, eskimo and knee high shooting socks. Most socks have been darned several times. I have a pair which are more darning than socks I believe. Can really recommend a darning mushroom, darning needles and darning yarn, my best bushie investment.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
Those commando socks are the best for me and last for years, literally. Wash well and good for long hikes. They are what the army (used?) to be issued.
I also recommend Tho Lo light hikers which are very good in hot weather, but have to be washed well every day as they are 100% synthetic.

sweetpea

Apr 25, 2013
Bolton UK
Have tried a few different 'big' brand socks over the years....but last week bought some Karrimor ones from Sports Direct... they have a sale on at the moment.

The ones i bought are usually £11.99 each.... however these were marked as buy two pairs for £9.00.... it was a no brainer.

Very very pleased with them.... would recommend.. Sale still on if anybodys interested

Mike ;)

no matter what material, maker or thickness soon after buying them i have holes in the heels- which is why i usually do'nt bother with socks anymore and wear them only when it's really cold or i'm on overnight walks.... . they make all sorts of fancy socks but nobody has come up with the idea of marketing socks without heels... :puppy_dog

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
no matter what material, maker or thickness soon after buying them i have holes in the heels- which is why i usually do'nt bother with socks anymore and wear them only when it's really cold or i'm on overnight walks.... . they make all sorts of fancy socks but nobody has come up with the idea of marketing socks without heels... :puppy_dog

Well that's a first...are your boots lined with sandpaper? In all seriousness though, is this with a liner sock used too?

Nemesis

Jan 4, 2010
Surrey
Smartwool or Teko from TKMAXX are generally great. With their merino socks it's worth paying a little more and buying fewer pairs as they need washing far less often than most.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've a 'pic n mix' sock collection, Bridgedales, green army, army Arctic, various 'thermal' socks. As I'm not off to the Arctic they all work well for me.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
blacks shops sometimes have bins by the counter of berghaus seconds. I wouldn't pay the tenner originally asked, but for three quid they are a nice technical sock. Only problem they aren't marked so you don't know what spec they are.
TKMAX always had a good selection in, I tend to go for socks with coolmax technology. I had a pair by outdoor terrain which were excellent, lasted about three years, probably did over a thousand miles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE