Favourite Outdoors and Kit shop?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>Best store ? : Tamarack, hands down, plus a soft spot for Endicotts.

I've never shopped there so I can't offer an opinion.

But I clicked on the their "Best sellers list". No 2 is a down jacket costing nearly 1000 quid. I wonder how many they sell per week....

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'm in the old smoke for a couple of days in December for an Exhibition.

Is there anywhere worth checking out in Central London?

London? Nah, boring place. Not much to see and do here. :p

Actually there's loads of outdoor shops in Covent Garden and at least one good map shop (Stanfords).

A lot of the big names have their flagship stores there such as Berghaus and North Face.

There's Snow and Rock, Ellis Brigham, Paramo, etc.

I don't go there myself as I find it a bit too expensive for my pocket but if you are in the area and have some time on your hands it might be fun to have a look around.

Morning Fox

Forager
Sep 30, 2008
Reigate
I'd like to put in a good word for Lakeland Bushcraft.

I accidentally ordered a gransfors bruks forest axe when I meant to order a wildlife hatchet, obviously only realised once the axe had arrived and was almost twice as big as I'd expected. Spoke with them and explained and they were happy to send out the wildlife hatchet straight away, before I'd sent back the forest axe, so I'd get it sooner. Which is very trust worthy and friendly of them :) Most places wait until they get the item back which obviously prolongs the whole process by a few more days.

Cheers guys!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
London? Nah, boring place. Not much to see and do here. :p

Actually there's loads of outdoor shops in Covent Garden and at least one good map shop (Stanfords).

I forgot about Stanfords - probably the best shop in the world for daydreaming about your next trip. Always worth a visit when in London.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
My favourite is either my garage or the house.
Plus of course the dear old interweb for the ideas - having no money has brought me to a state where there isn't much that I won't have a go at making myself.

ATB

Ogri the trog

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Car boot sales. There are some real bargains if you're careful. Only last weekend I "scored" an 8" x 2" x 1" very fine razor hone for 50p, thats 3 decent stones if picked up now for a grand total of £1.50! Saw decent WW2 British army clasp knives for £10 each, but resisted.

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Charity shops - you can get good, usable gear for next to nothing, recycleable bits for your next DIY project at reasonable prices and the best bit is ....you know that your hard earned dosh is not creating a demand for more raw materials to be stripped from our ailing plannet and is even going to help those in need, rather than making a rich man even richer!
Every one is a winner!

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
....you know that your hard earned dosh is not creating a demand for more raw materials to be stripped from our ailing plannet and is even going to help those in need, rather than making a rich man even richer!
Every one is a winner!

John Dont take this the wrong way but as a ' professional gear reviewer' aren't you by compiling a review fueling the consumers desire to buy new kit?? Hence stripping the planet of much needed resources etc??

BTW My favourite shop was Moorland Rambler in Exeter.. always good for a 10% discount if you were cheeky enough to ask...Althought REI in Berkley California has to be seen to be believed....

London: Another vote for Stamfords as a magical place. Another shop worth a browse, for inspiration, but keep your hands in your pockets, is the new(ish) National Geographic store on Regent Street.

Charity Shops: Another vote too. I found all sorts of things over the years, especially in Sweden.

Tamarack: Have bought on line, but sounds like I need to make a visit. Wrong end of the country for me though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John Dont take this the wrong way but as a ' professional gear reviewer' aren't you by compiling a review fueling the consumers desire to buy new kit?? Hence stripping the planet of much needed resources etc??

:D One reason to advocate the use of charity shops:D

The gear in the charity shops has to come from someone......

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I live just up the road from The Compete Outdoors and have spent a fair bit of money in there over the years. They stock Paramo, but appart from my Alta coat, I have wound up buying all my other Paramo gear from other places. They are good for a wander around, way better than places like Blacks or Millets, but not exceptional.

The Outdoor Shop in Stoney Stratford is not too far out of my way when I go visit my parents and I have bought some pricy kit there too. They were very helpful, and pretty knowledgable when I was choosing a down sleeping bag.

There is a Cotswolds in St. Albans, not that far from me and I bought my little Vaude tent there, but only because I could get a discount and they had the one I wanted in stock when I wanted it on fairly short notice. They are okay if you have a specific item that you want, and they have it in their range, but they are not the sort of place that I find many surprises.

I was up in Keswick and Ambleside lately and Rathbones in Keswick is pretty good. Very goos staff and some nice gear, well layed out. There were a lot of good shops up there. I had a great time looking at wool gear in the Norwegian Store in Keswick but I think that my favourite place up there has to be The Mountain Factor. They carry Paramo and Icebreaker and OFTEN have sales or offer discounts. While there they also had some huge savings on some Patagonia gear.

Ultimately though, if you take a lifetime's agregate expenditure, I still think that LLBean and Cabelas have done more for me than any of the UK shops. Their service is excellent, they often have interesting things that you won't have seen in local stores. Some prices are often very good and their warrenties make most UK stores look mean by comparison.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE