Evening with Ray Mears last night

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi All,

Had a good evening in Tonbridge Wells yesterday, he talked for about 1.5hrs, mostly about the people he'd met over the last 10 years.

As always he spoke well and passionately, doing the whole lot without notes (as far as I could tell).

He then did 45mins Q&A session where he answered a wide range of questions.

I asked when he was going to release 'Tracks' on DVD :D Unfortunately he said he didn't think it would ever get released :(

All-in-all a good night, shame about the numpties taking flash photo's all the way through it, oh and the people turning up late, and the ones who left their mobile phones on!

Ray was good though!

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
It was a bit of a long drive in the rain but it was well worth it to see someone who has such a passion for bushcraft.

He spoke mainly about the places he had been during the filming of Bushcraft and Extreme Survival during the past 10 years. He performed very well even in front of the large audience and coped very well with the question and answer session at the end.

As you said shamefully he said it was doubtfull for tracks to be released on DVD.

He must have a headache this morning with the spotlight and so many flashes from the cameras.

Its easy to see how he has become so well known for his bushcraft and with good reason as hes so passionate about it.

All in all a very good evening except for the fact I missed wild food guess ill have to catch the repeat think its on BBC2 on Sunday at about 7 I THINK if anyone else missed it.

Well I hope he does a couple more lectures.

Mitchel

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
MitchelHicks said:
All in all a very good evening except for the fact I missed wild food guess ill have to catch the repeat think its on BBC2 on Sunday at about 7 I THINK if anyone else missed it.

Mitchel

To be honest I don’t think you missed a great deal. Maybe its just me but notwithstanding the clear “educational” message my previous comments about this series so far hold true and might better be summed up in one word: PONDEROUS

Please don’t think I’ve got a downer on Ray as I do indeed respect his knowledge and enthusiasem but please also remember this programme has been commissioned to be entertaining too. The clearest sign there was concern for a lack of momentum in this episode came when Ray thought it would be good to have the crew sample another of his les successful dishes and we get a cheep laugh at their discomfort. Good to see the man surrounds him self with plenty of cute-of-name production babes though!

My wife’s only comment, when she can be bothered to look up from the Evening Standard is to ask: “Why does he have to prance around in those bl--dy stupid shorts!” My reply is that he’s also wearing one of those “stupid” Ranger shirts that you so hate to see me in!

Cheers

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
The clearest sign there was concern for a lack of momentum in this episode came when Ray thought it would be good to have the crew sample another of his les successful dishes and we get a cheep laugh at their discomfort.

He always gets the crew to sample the food.

Anyway, lets hear more about the Talk!!

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Looking forwards to the talk tonight, enjoying the series (actually I've always
quite liked the bits where the production crew get involved!) but you might
enjoy the last episode the most - it's all about Woodland.

Wed 31 Jan, BBC2, 8pm
VIDEO Plus+: 4035
Episode 5 - Woodland (new)
5/5 - Woodland
Ray Mears is on a voyage of discovery into the lost foods of Britain's Stone Age,
a journey that draws on all his bushcraft skills and knowledge of ancient ways of
life around the world. There's no place Ray likes better than woodland, and our
hunter gatherer ancestors would have been just the same: making fruit leathers
from hawthorn, feasting on wild boar and turning acorns and hazel nuts into
caloric staples. Ray visits the site in Scotland of one of the biggest finds of Stone
Age foods.

Full listings at:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showpost.php?p=243837&postcount=72

Full thread at:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17221

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Having managed to dodge fallen trees and arrive on time, I had an excellent time at the lecture. Ray was very informative about some of his past trips, and had a Q&A session at the end which was good. I wonder if it had been a talk by someone else on a day when the weather was so bad if the hall would have still been filled. It shows how dedicated us bushcrafters are to our cause.
Chas

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
Well said Chas

I think to emphasise the point two guys I sat next door to had travelled from Cumbria today to see Ray speak.

I'm hoping to post a review in the next couple of days.

P

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
Yeah I know what you mean about wild foods being a big slow but you've got to remember its got to attract everyone. I still think anything to do with bushcraft on TV is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will attract more people to the ways of bushcraft. I think Rays got a few more projects planed he did say he was going to use some extra footage from his time in australia to make something else. What that somthing else is he said we'll have to wait and see.

Maybe if wild foods is a hit which I think its doing ok havent seen the figures for the latest episode but i think it done alright in the first 2 there might be a more in depth show on wild foods which would be nice to see.

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Yep, I enjoyed last night as well.

And remember what he said " There's a lot of people who talk about it, just get out and doo it " :D

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
The man is extremely genuine. Why do people feel the need to judge what he does? :confused:

I found it an extremely enjoyable evening and it certainly made me itch to get outside again, even after the weather we had to get there! :rolleyes:

No photography or video is allowed during the presentation, but Ray spent another 2-3 hours signing books at the end of the evening - we left at around 11pm and there were still around 20 people behind us. He took time to talk to everyone who waited to meet him, and allowed photographs then. :35:

I'm off to the Ardeche myself this May with Woodlore and now I'm drooling at the prospect. :D

Phil

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
He didnt do any signing on the first night lol I've got signed books already but it would have been nice to meet him properly but i suppose you deserve it for managing to get there through those 90mph winds and whatever else the weather through at you.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
lol very groupie indeed I guess with his recent publisity he will be doing many more events in the near future. So maybe well see him in the near future.

Monkey

May 16, 2005
Lee-on-Solent
A great night, I thought he came accross really well, and you could feel the genuine passion that he has.
I stayed behind to get a book signed for my son (honest - not for me! lol), and he seemed a bit uncomfortable with the "fame/hero worship bit" of people queueing to meeting him and taking photos. He seemed like a normal bloke who accidentally found fame doing what he enjoys.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Maybe if wild foods is a hit which I think its doing ok havent seen the figures for the latest episode but i think it done alright in the first 2 there might be a more in depth show on wild foods which would be nice to see.

Get a bit of a pasting from the new series of Relocation Relocation on C4 last night by the looks- an average of 2.8 million on the overnights.

Should have left it on Thursdays.

I hope he does more of these talks. Perhaps I'll promote a tour - wonder what his fee is?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE