Essential Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Camper

Banned
May 14, 2011
Wales
Hi everybody, I know this has come up before but i am new to bushcraft/wild camping and i am trying to put together a kit.
So i have a 2 questions:
1) what do you take out for a night or two in spring/summer/autumn
2) Do you reccomend any gear for me to buy

Thank you for any help, Camper.

Shwt mae! Right then, these posts can go on forever. But, I always take mess tins, Knife, small sharpening stone, basic first aid kit, small axe, bow saw or folding saw, tarp, bivvi bag and a GUN! Only if I'm on land with permission though. Thats about it I think. If its winter time I will take a sleeping bag! Where abouts are you in Wales? T

Rambling Man

Apr 10, 2010
SE England
Tarp -Alpkit Rig-7-superb
Bivy-bag-Alpkit Hunka-excellent
Sleeping bag-Alpkit Pipedream 400
I'm a big fan of the company(No connection or shares!)whom i consider to be great value for money,not the cheapest or most expensive,great service and VALUE for MONEY in my opinion,plus they sell tent pegs,cord and various bits of gear for outdoorsy people.Alpkit.com.I think?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
-Something to carry your gear in
-Something to sleep in, on & under,
-Something to cook in &/or on ( & a mug of some kind if you like a brew)
-something to cut with
-Something to make a flame
-Food & water.
-A dog.( essential in my opinion)

don't forget to enjoy it.

beenn

Banned
Nov 16, 2009
South Wales
-Something to carry your gear in
-Something to sleep in, on & under,
-Something to cook in &/or on ( & a mug of some kind if you like a brew)
-something to cut with
-Something to make a flame
-Food & water.
-A dog.( essential in my opinion)

don't forget to enjoy it.

Spot on! :D

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi everybody, I know this has come up before but i am new to bushcraft/wild camping and i am trying to put together a kit.
So i have a 2 questions:
1) what do you take out for a night or two in spring/summer/autumn
2) Do you reccomend any gear for me to buy

Thank you for any help, Camper.

Welcome to the forum. As you admitted this has come up many many times before so really you could have done some research on the forum and asked questions about specific items of kit. I'm not having a pop at you but there is so much you can learn from the data to hand if you slow down and take a few hours going through posts, in other words, do your homework.

Nobody can answer your questions because we don't know you, your level of fitness, where you intend to camp, what seasons you intend to camp in, what your personal level of outdoor experience is, what equipment you already have, will you be alone etc etc.

The answers you get (and there will be many I'm sure) will be much the same as you would have found had you looked.

So, welcome to the forum but spend some time reading here, it really is a pretty good source of information so look in depth for a while and then ask questions you can't find answers to. Even if you don't find what your looking for you will learn new things. BCUK is a good tool, so use it for a while.

All the best.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
As Rik says, there's lots of useful info on here using the search engine, although sometimes it can be a bit difficult to find exactly what you're looking for!

So I'm going to weigh in with a simple piece of kit that is multi-purpose and cheap, which is the Swedish Army Trangia cook-set. For around a tenner, you get a decent meths burner, a windshield that you can also use to make a wood-fire in, a billy-can that you can also suspend over a bonfire, a lid/frying-pan/cup that you can also use in conjunction with the billy-can to make an oven. And most sets also come with a 300ml bottle to store meths in. This set is pretty much bullet-proof, although not the lightest if you're into ultra-light camping. You can find it on the internet/ebay etc, or from good surplus stores like Endicotts.

Sure there's much more sophisticated stuff around at a price that will boil water quicker, but I've used this set-up in -20C temperatures, and it's pretty much fool-proof as there's nothing to go wrong, hoses/connectors/pressurised containers that leak or blow-up on you etc. For around a tenner or so, I defy anyone to suggest a better-value bit of kit (other than maybe a Mora knife!

And Youtube provides lots of examples on how to use it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE