ESEE 5 knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
The Esse 5 knife is also available from http://www.heinnie.com/Knives/ESEE-Knives/RC-5/p-92-421-4545/
but only with the olive drab coated blade and £30 more than at the Bushcraft store
I don't honestly think that you will beat that price unless you can pick one up 2nd hand, but they don't seem to get moved on a great deal.
I don't personally own the knife but i have always fancied pulling the trigger on one.
If you are wanting a hard use knife that will tackle everything you throw at it, in a reasonably compact package, the Esse 5 is hard to beat IMO.
The knife is a beast, at 1lb in weight without the sheath, and the 1/4" thick 1095 coated carbon steel blade will be prone to rusting if not properly maintained, but that is only a minor drawback.
The knife gets rave reviews on You Tube, and has proved itself time and time again under some very tough scrutiny, but i suppose that the $64,000 question is, as always,
"What are you going to use it for?"

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It's a very heavy knife. 6.35mm thick steel. More of a pry bar type knife and not a good all round choice.

The ESEE3 is one of my most used knives, definitely worth a look.

bdshim

Forager
Sep 25, 2011
suffolk
as said is a heavy knife some say handle can be uncomfortable as its very thick blade, i nearly got the 5 but got the 6 in the end, there simple knives but great theres something about them i like

Luke.

Mar 20, 2013
Heartfordshire
I think that i might import it as it works out about £120 compared to the bushcraft store being £175. I am planning a couple of week long camps with some friends from cadets so i want something that is going to last and be hard wearing in rough conditions, but also for more heavier duty tasks.

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
Hi,
I've just seen this post and think I may have some good news for you.
Look at a website www.bronzemoonoutdoors.co.uk.
I to have been looking at these and on here you can buy the knife only (no sheath) for £110.99, or buy the knife with the full kydex molle sheath for £163.
I've never used this company before, and don't really know much about them, but the prices are great.
Have a look and let me know how you get on.

Cheers

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think that i might import it as it works out about £120 compared to the bushcraft store being £175. I am planning a couple of week long camps with some friends from cadets so i want something that is going to last and be hard wearing in rough conditions, but also for more heavier duty tasks.

Bear in mind you have to pay duty on imports. Add 20% + £8 admin and it isn't such a good deal.

There's a 6 for sale on BritishBlades, but it's got a swedged drop point blade so makes a mess when batoning.

Jammylodger

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2013
Leicester
Wow, didn't realize companies could be so bad and still trade.

Well that clears that up for me, as they will be deleted from my web browser, and I will never consider using them.
This is where forums like these come into their own, as everyone is out to help with good advice or info where they can, saving much disappointment
for perspective buyers.
Thank you guys!

relin

Sep 29, 2010
Chesham
It's a very heavy knife. 6.35mm thick steel. More of a pry bar type knife and not a good all round choice.

The ESEE3 is one of my most used knives, definitely worth a look.

After posting on that other thread I'm actually pretty sure mine is a copy of an ESEE 4, not too big, not too small, will still chop like a demon but slices and cuts just fine too.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
After posting on that other thread I'm actually pretty sure mine is a copy of an ESEE 4, not too big, not too small, will still chop like a demon but slices and cuts just fine too.

One of the comforting things about owning a genuine ESEE is the no quibble lifetime guarantee. Despite any modification they will replace it if you can break it.

The 4 has a thick blade stock too, I'm still gonna stick with my 3. Picked it up as excess stock on EDCForums for $60 inc excellent sheath and boot sheath. Really can't complain. There was a 4 too, for a bit more money, but I'm glad I took the 3.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If looking at smaller knives. RAT/ESEE are coming out with a new brand of knives. Camp Lore. Specificially targeted at the bushcraft market. Still 1095 steel, but uncoated.

saqyta8y.jpg

Wolfman Zack

Sep 12, 2012
US
ESEE knives are fantastic, I wouldn't recomend the 5 though.

Take a look at the 3, 4, LS, or even the 6 instead.

The 5 was made as an air crew survival knife for downed pilots, and it can hack through an aircraft fusalage and otherwise be used and abused beyond what other knives can handle.
This makes it far from ideal for bushcraft though, it may batton though almost anything but will be very hard to carve with, and is extremely heavy.
In fact you could carry a smaller ESEE along with a saw for far less weight.

Luke.

Mar 20, 2013
Heartfordshire
So is the esee 6 any better for bushcraft, I would use a smaller knife for carving so the knife is not mainly for carving, just so i'am not getting confused the esee 5 is more of a heavy duty knife designed for breaking through things and the esee 6 is more of a better knife for bushcraft. like I saidi have a smaller knife that I use for carving.

Luke.

Wolfman Zack

Sep 12, 2012
US
Yes, the ESEE-6 is one of my favorites.

It is big, but without being too heavy, and is more than tough enough to take whatever you can throw at it.
The edge geometry is far supior to the 5 as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE