Eric floods, me earthquakes!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
Eric posted a thread.
This is my problem.

I'm in Japan.
Close to Tokyo.
I've already experienced earthquakes and they are very strange and unnerving.
These are only small quakes in my area, in other areas people have died.
Japanese buildings are built for this.
But in big quakes they are smashed.
Think Kobe.

Tokyo is due a big earthquake.
When it happens maybe many thousands of people will die.

I work on the 5th floor.

If it happens and I survive what should I pack to help me?

I always take a rucksack to work.
Each day I have my work shirt in it.
I leave my suit and shoes at work.

I dress in trainers, chord trousers and t-shirt.
My Karrimor rucksack contains a Berghaus Gortex jacket, Berghaus base ball cap (poser or what?), spare set of socks, sun glasses, a map of the greater Tokyo area, SAK locking climber, 2 cig lighters, head torch, mini Mag light, packets of nuts, beef jerky and fruit. On the out side of my pack is a cheap Silva compass/themometer, in another pocket I have an address book and a pen and paper. I always have two full 500ml bottles of tea or water in the side pockets. It's hot (37 degress) and very humid. Not good for a Yorkshire lad.

What else should I carry, A small FAK maybe?

My lass is Japanese, if something terrible happens to Tokyo I'll trek to find her.
She's maybe 60 miles away at the most from where I live.

I'm sure the Japanese coppers, if they ever stopped me, which they wouldn't cause I'm the blue eyed devil, wouldn't mind me carrying my F1 in my pack if it was with other emergency stuff. This is the "Land of the Blade" after all.
Like others have said, I'm sure my F1 would make a good crow bar if it came to it.

I seriously hope this doesn't happen to me.
Any ideas would be appreciated my friends.

Much love and best wishes to all,
Johnny.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
For your scenario John, I'd suggest all you have mentioned plus a decent whistle and a photocopy of important documents like your passport (just in case your home gets trashed or you can't get near it.) Also carry a note (in both English and Japanese) of your NOK details and your blood group. Tailor the FAK to your personal needs and include regular medication that you may take (in case you can't get home for a while). Also pack a couple of disposable face masks. Invaluable when trying to make your way through rubble where there is a high density of smoke and dust, and your lungs will be working overtime as it is. You don't want to be sucking that muck in.

You might like to do a field test with the kit too. Leave work as normal then go into scenario mode and make your way home on foot. During this time you'll discover what you use and don't use. If you don't use it, consider leaving it out of the kit. You'll also find you need stuff, or wish you'd packed stuff you really need and didn't have. This is the time to do a reshuffle of the kit you carry every day. It would be easy to pack everything 'just in case' but then you end up with a massive pack and you end up saying 'Nah, I'll not bother today, it's too heavy'. That'll be the time you need it.

I'd also consider a separate possibles pouch that'll go on your belt with essentials in it (firesteel, opinel knife, meds, small FAK etc) It can live inside your rucksack but can be pulled out and fitted to your belt in an emergency. That way if you lose the pack, you'll still have the pouch.

Can't think of much more at the moment.

Eric

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
Thanks Eric!

First one to respond!!!

Whistle, yes! I must get one!
A mask is easy to get hold of.
You always see people wearing them on the trains.
They're cheap as well. I should buy 2 of them.

A fire steel won't help.
There's no wood and a cig lighter will show the way in a panic.

.A couple of space blankets would be good.
I think.

Thanks Eric.

JC.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Have a small 6-8" flat pry bar, stuck office doors elevator doors and such, a pair of work gloves, spare batteries for your mini-mag lite, a cpl hankerchiefs (large).
By the way the Japanese are anal about blades (spent some time there training), yes I know land of the Samurai et all, make it discreet and as small as functionaly possible.
Double up on water, space blanket are a good idea.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I suggested the firesteel simply as a backup in case the lighter(s) get lost, run out, get wet. A mini firesteel would do the job (4mm wide by 35mm long) also good if your lighter flint wears out and you've still got gas. PM me your address an I'll pop one in the post for you, I have loads.

Also in your rucksack, stick a cheap packet of corn chips (like potato crisps, but made from corn). They are fried in oil and you can either eat them, or use them to make a fire. They burn really well in a hobo stove.

Add to this a few tea bags, a wrap of sugar and a tin mug and you can revive yourself with a cup of tea on that sixty mile hike to get home. Don't ever underestimate the recuperative powers of a cup of tea during a crisis.

This could turn into a really useful thread.

Eric

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Eric is right about the mug of metal, easy to heat and almost indestructable, we each carried one along with a spoon and spare "hashi" when we were there.

Gailainne

Life Member
I would suggest decent walking shoes rather than trainers, they offer no ankle support and 60 miles is a long way especially if you have to traverse rubble filled streets.

The food you mentioned, both the nuts and jerky will make you thirsty, I would suggest some kind of high energy bars, hopefully someone with more knowledge on nutrition will help with suggestions. Also water purification kit, or at least tablets, for when you refill your bottles, and I would add a hydration pack, 1 litre of water is'nt enough, unless your sure of water sources on your route. Get a titanium mug, or something you can boil water in.

Speaking of your route, both home and to your girlfriends, plan them out now, with alternatives, like Eric said then test them and your kit and yourself.

Maybe a pushbike, something easy to carry over rubble, but it will help you carry weight, and once clear of the city should help you travel.

Thats all I can think of for now, be safe

Regards

Stephen

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
I forgot to mention I always carry a knife, spoon and fork, in my rucksack.
I can't use chopsticks most of the time, and I like to carry my own. .
Rather nice!
Boy Scout or what?

I've never had any bother from the cops.
I walk when I can.
I just give the coppers a respectful nod when I see them.
That seems to do the trick.
I've even been drinking on the streets, been very drunk,nod my head, the coppers just give a nod and a smile and drive on.

JC.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How do you normally get to and from work? If you cycle to work keep the helmet strapped to the outside of your backpack.

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
don't use your lighter to see in the dark there may be gas leaks!
you'll light the place up- but in a bad way!
same for firesteels however there are a good signal at night

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
don't use your lighter to see in the dark there may be gas leaks!
you'll light the place up- but in a bad way!
same for firesteels however there are a good signal at night
A torch / headlamp could do the same unless it is intrinsically safe - which basically means its vapour/gas proof.:22:

Sounds like a good kit, John. Yes, a whistle is a valuable addition. Since you live in the city, you might want to consider paring your blade down to a multi tool. The high end leathermen knives have metal cutting blades on them, and in my experience having wire cutters, pliers and a screwdriver is almost always more useful in the city than a blade. As you said, no wood.

I'd also carry a small AM/FM radio. They make ridiculously tiny ones. I just got one the size of a large coin, less than a centimeter wide that clips to my belt so I can listen to music and news while I work at the ranch.

Would be nice to have in the event of a disaster, so you can possibly hear about areas that are impassable before you walk into the middle of them.

Don't bother with water purification tablets if you are in the city, iodine and aquamira kill biologicals. If Tokyo gets hit with a big earthquake the water will have chemical pollutants. I'd carry a filter for that contingency, but you are also getting up in weight at that point, so consider how hard it will be to find clean water in the event of a quake; bottles? Toilet basins?

Eric, GREAT point about corn chips. Same holds true with cheetos, though corn chips are much more nutritious.

-BP

Yorkshire Boy

Tenderfoot
Jan 30, 2007
England/Japan
Thanks lads, great advice all round.

So I've got to get some face masks, survival blankets, whistle and maybe a multi tool.
I'll keep a look out for a small crowbar and leave the Fallkniven F1 at home!

I do have some Berghaus walking trainer shoes (I am a poser aren't I).
But it's so hot here I like my Nike tennis shoes.
I'll keep a spare pare of light weight walking socks in my rucksack.

I'll leave out the salty food, well said that man.
Dried fruit and energy bars instead.

As for water, on every street corner there are drinks machines.
That's where the crow bar will come in handy.;)

A tiny radio will be good.
I'll tune it to American Forces Network.

I always have to have my alien card with me so I have my address on it.
I don't know my blood type:rolleyes:
Scared of needles!

Thanks for all your ideas.

Feel free to add more!
Ooh, I almost forgot.
To my knowledge, they don't have gas mains here, they use bottles instead.
I'll remember the lighter thing all the same, thank you.
JC.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
John don't exclude the salty foods completely, in a stress situation you'll sweat profusely, more so in Japan the humidity remember, so at least carry some salty dual purpose snacks and maintain a healthy salt level.
Maybe a small rain coat/hood/hat, shed some rain that may lead to a hypothermic reaction.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
John don't exclude the salty foods completely, in a stress situation you'll sweat profusely, more so in Japan the humidity remember, so at least carry some salty dual purpose snacks and maintain a healthy salt level.
Maybe a small rain coat/hood/hat, shed some rain that may lead to a hypothermic reaction.

I'd take diahrolyte sachets or similar instead of salty foods, they take up alot less room and put more minerals etc back into your body than the salty food stuffs will.

Wait, did I miss it...

Do you have, or did anybody mention a first aid kit? Even a little tiny one like the red cross gives out is better than none. You can also get ultralight backpacking kits, which are remarkably good for their weight, and packed in waterproof bags.

Just started thinking about what happens when building start to shake. I grew up in Los Angeles, and by the time I was twelve, I LOVED earthquakes, (til the entertainment center in my mom's living room took the opportunity to throw an oscillating fan at my head during the Northridge quake.)

On edit: "Der der der!" Just realized what FAK stands for. :banghead:

reddeath

Forager
Jul 29, 2007
Kilkenny, ROI
how about a condom?

non lubed - keep in a pocket about yr person or possibles bag, makes ideal emergency water carrier specially if u had to ditch yr main bag
( i know this will cause reaction)

oh and i always have a pack of playing cards

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
how about a condom?

non lubed - keep in a pocket about yr person or possibles bag, makes ideal emergency water carrier specially if u had to ditch yr main bag
( i know this will cause reaction)

A good addition, Quite hard to explain to the Wife / girlfriend though.:D lol.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Also see if you can get hold of one of those old fashioned hair nets (like Ena Sharples in Coronation street used to wear). Use that to support the condom full of water as on it's own it's a bit fragile. Both the condom and the hair net take up very little room. Or you can carry the full condom in a spare sock.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE