Endicotts Bundeswehr German army "para" boot review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

green elk

Sep 25, 2008
out there
You might get one at ebay Germany, search for "Haix" in militaria and look for "Kampfstiefel" (= combat boot), since they produce a whole lot of different armyboots (which are nice as well though). The size system is somewhat strange: Measure your foot, add a centimeter and thats your "bundeswehr"-size. As a comparison: i'm wearing UK 10 Meindl Borneos and have my paraboots in 285. Take care, the fitting is slightly different from the previous versions (which seem to be a bit larger, 285 in the old one was far too big for me). The unused ones normally get sold for around 50€-60€, shipping to UK should be around 17€. This one might be ok for you bigfoots. ;) http://cgi.ebay.de/Kampfstiefel-Spr...mdZViewItemQQptZNATO_Shop?hash=item2ea9a9c3cb

Last edited:

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Hi lub0
on the cleaning front
a stiff brush to get the mud off
I then apply a coating of snowezz wax(for waterproofing)
i cheat here by warming the boot with one of those wheaty bags you heat up in the mico ( stuck inside the boot which helps the snowezz absore into the leather)
take off any excess wax
then a good polish with parade gloss
been doing my para boots this way for too many years now to remember
and after many years fo buy expensive boots I always end up back in my geramn para boots at the moment sitting with 2 pairs one which i got resoled about 5 years ago and still going strong and a second pair I picked up as a spare
I can't say much more than that except
They have been the best boot buy I have ever made.

Bob

After mentioning to my mother about getting her a pair of my boots in her size, the suggestion was greeted with the following...

"big bloody German army boots -are you joking? ASDA stock wellington boots for under a tenner and in many different colours, too!"

I guess that's the end of that, then. But a quick update about my pair:

I realised today I had not broken them in as quickly as I thought I had done. This past 3 days I have been labouring in them packing, carrying and unloading heavy 70 kilo bags of horse manure and just earlier I went for a quick run in them at my local playing field and finally the odd tightness around the mid-foot area that I had mistakingly thought to be a design feature has dissapeared and the boots generally feel alot more comfortable than before.

Earlier today I cleaned all the horse crap off them and took the oppertunity to use the Nikwax boot cleaning stuff that I thought I may as well buy along side the bottles of the long overdue Nikwax Woolwash that my stinking Merino wool garments badly needed! (tip: charity shops are full of it!)

Well I'm not impressed. After using a stiff nylon brush with warm water to scrub the dirt off, I then applied a very generous amount of Nikwax cleaning gel to the whole of the boots leather and after a few minutes I washed it off with a softer brush.
All was well until I then applied the Waterproofing wax as per instructions and when it came to rubbing the excess off after 3 minute wait, the white cloth was jet-black within the first few wipes! What a load of crap that "Nikwax Footwear cleaning gel" is!

"lifts dirt off the boot" my ar*e!

Why all the praise for Nikwax products on this website?? or maybe it's just the footwear cleaning gel that's crap?

and does anyone have any good reliable information for cleaning boots and keeping them waterproof?
I've learned from my mistakes with my previous boots and want to look after these German boots as well as possible.
Is beeswax any good for waterproofing? My local farmers market has a raw honey stand and sell the stuff on the side.

Last edited:

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
and does anyone have any good reliable information for cleaning boots and keeping them waterproof?
I've learned from my mistakes with my previous boots and want to look after these German boots as well as possible.
Is beeswax any good for waterproofing? My local farmers market has a raw honey stand and sell the stuff on the side.

Traditional saddle soap to clean the leather and Snoseal to make it longlasting and waterreppelent!!!

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire

One of the best boot waxes I've used is Altbergs 'Leder-gris' wax for boots. You can even buff it to a reasonable shine if you need to.

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I just picked up a pair of these from transworld.
But there is an issue with them. Comparing to the pictures shown they are identical in structure, but the lacing is not speed lacing, it's regular but tough looking holes, and there is a stamp on the inside of the tounge with a big "B D" and whats seems to be size and seriel number or something "280 S 080319"

Now aside from the issue of speed lacing which I was looking forward to,heres my take on them.

COMFY, OMG so comfy, I remember my first german para boots as hand me downs after my fathers two or three years of use way back in like 1998 or so. They were comfortable then for my relatively wide foot.

These boots are not just wide fitting but seem well padded and warm to boot.

The laces do seem a little weak in my mine so I will probably replace them with para cord as others do.

The high ankles compared to my meindl borneos will take a bit of getting used to as will the weight, but they don't feel bulky and weighty like my older para boots, they still feel fairly light weight. Which is a nice surprise.

The waterproof tounge is well made and should do me well for camping, general and bush use.

I pretty much won't be wearing anything else for the next year or so anyway I reckon. Unless I can get some moccasins made for myself.

I will break them in the only way I have ever used which is to start wearing them in a luke warm bath. until the bubbles stop pouring out of them.
At that point wearing thick socks and a plastic bag I will squish for a day or two and then they should be perfectly molded to me. It's a method thats never failed me for quick break in times. And the only one I recommend.

Anyway, does anyone know a reason my speed lacing doesn't exist?

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Could somebody post some pictures of the various models of German "Para boots"?

I have a pair of MkIV(?) -stitched soles, speed-lace hooks.

I bought them for commuting on my motorbike, but have now started wearing them as general winter shoes.

They are really tough, comfortable and I would have another pair, especially if I could get a slightly better fit.

The size is 285 - 107.

I normally wear Continental 44 (ie. UK 9.5/10)

The length is fine (maybe slightly long, but the 280 were too short) as is the width, but I've had to use thick inner-soles to take up the internal volume and would like a slightly more snug fit around the heel.

Do they do 285 in a narrower last?

Cheers.

Last edited:

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
hi i was reading this thread on para boots...so i found this site military mart it shows a pic of the boots for sale & says Picture is of new but very simular...so i thought there's not a chance they look like thatso here is a pic of what i got...atb shogun..
pic 1.boots they sent
IMG_2919-1.jpg

pic 2.boots on site
German20lowa20boot.jpg

Last edited:

rjaeger

Nov 6, 2010
northampton
They look like a great pair of boots, it's a pity i found this thread about 1 year to late! Endicotts are sold out!
Used to have a pair of para boots about 15 years ago not sure what mk they were but had know foam protection around the top like these.
Been getting into fishing a lot again lately so will be getting another pair, but considering there's not a decent surplus store within 50 miles of where i live will have to buy them on line, so just wondered what the difference was from all the models?
I know that mk 5 had stitch on soles?
what are 2000 models? there a lot of those around at the moment

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
rjaeger - have a look in your local army surplus places. I got mine locally, rather than Endicotts, and I'm sure the ones they got was part of a larger shipment, so there might still be some around

rjaeger

Nov 6, 2010
northampton
Don't have decent local store, nearest one i think is in leicester, might try ebay, there's a few on there at the moment and they're offering supergrades and have decent feedback.
Used to shop at HM supplies camberley not sure whetherr that's still the same, used to be excellent, but it's about 90 miles away these days.

rjaeger

Nov 6, 2010
northampton
Ordered some off ebay and they arrived fast, notice different lace system to mk 7 on page 1, these were advertised as mk5 supergrades and bought them from ibiziana on ebay
dqk58g.jpg

Heals, horn hook etc look identical to mk 7
2u5yqfd.jpg

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
just out of interest guys, i recently got rid of a pair in the gift-it-on thread ( post No. 967 ) from that piccy, can anyone tell me what Mk they were ?

rjaeger

Nov 6, 2010
northampton
just out of interest guys, i recently got rid of a pair in the gift-it-on thread ( post No. 967 ) from that piccy, can anyone tell me what Mk they were ?
boots.jpg

Bit difficult to see with that pic, are they stitch on soles? most of the differences i think evolve around the lacing system, if they're stitch on soles they could be mk4 but i wouldn't put money on it. Well not my money!

rjaeger

Nov 6, 2010
northampton
Been using these boots now for just about 1 year, and they still feel look the same now as they did when i bought them (supergrade), there is no sign if wear on the inside (wear two pairs of socks) and very little on the outside, of sole wear there is very little, used in various conditions of woodland, track hogging, limited tarmac use! recommend to anyone.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I've been wearing a pair i got off ebay for £28, for a year now(seem to change my boots in sept/oct), & the heels are almost down to the inner spongy core. I was after getting them heeled, but the local cobblers are'nt interested. It seems a shame to throw them away when thats all thats wrong with them.
Very comfy, if heavy boot, but i like them.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE