Emergency Winter Car Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Dano it gets real cold here -35c and less, you could be on the side for hours, days maybe even a week; so what Mungo has is just average for those who travel the highways and byways in country roads and wish to be comfortable in the event of a blockage.

Just candles wont do it, you have to vent the vehicle to reduce CO2, and CO

A CB radio and or FRS could also be of use, a cell phone is an excellent idea also.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Mungo I always look at your posts to see what the weather is doing as my mate lives in Toronto ...it just makes me feel warm when its -15 or lower there!
Silly + 10 here!
D
Oh btw guys you need to add glasses to your posts he had rope and shovel on the list!
(Unless of course he edited)
Weird also Clarkson putting stuff in a Jag now as well.......!!!...... well I suppose it is on Dave!!

D

Deleted member 4605

Oh btw guys you need to add glasses to your posts he had rope and shovel on the list!
(Unless of course he edited)

Right there at the bottom of the post:

Last edited by Mungo : Today at 12:23. Reason: (added Rope & Shovel as per Wayland's excellent advice!)

:)

I currently carry only basic kit in my car regularly. More if I'm going on longer journeys, and even more if the weather looks bad. Once I get past as certain point I do get the "is he nuts" looks of my wife and kids!:lmao:I guess we only need so much preparation here in the UK (excluding the Highlands).

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
the kochanski winch looks like a varient of the spanish windlass. useful to know how to make these types of things

steve

It is, Mors himself said it was an adaption of the Spanish Windlass. I believe he said his variant was safer under tension as the "resting" pole lies flat against the ground as you raise and flip the other.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
It is, Mors himself said it was an adaption of the Spanish Windlass. I believe he said his variant was safer under tension as the "resting" pole lies flat against the ground as you raise and flip the other.
Yeah, with a classic spanish windlass you tend to need a couple of spare hands to ensure the whole thing doesn't suddenly unwind on you :)

I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. To be safe, I carry several emergency items in the trunk of my car, in case I get bogged down in snow off the beaten track and have to spend a night or two somewhere without rescue.

Here is the list - would be interested in hearing feedback, or if anyone else carries emergency gear in their car trunk/boot:
  • MSR Dragonfly Stove with a full cannister of Naptha white-gas fuel
  • Alcohol-gel heating tins
  • Candles
  • Cooking pot and mugs
  • Cutlery
  • Kettle
  • 2 Nalgene Bottles
  • 5 litres of water in expandable plastic containers (in case of freezing)
  • Stainless Steel hobo stove which can use wood as a fuel
  • Gransfors-Bruks Small Forest Axe
  • Bucking saw
  • Mora knives (x3)
  • 4 wool blankets
  • Down sleeping bag
  • 2 MRE meal packs
  • Beef jerky
  • Pepperoni - large
  • 2 Freeze Dried Entrees
  • 4 tins Spam
  • Instant Rice
  • Instant soup mixes
  • Hot chocolate packages
  • Powdered milk
  • Heavy Tarpaulin
  • Light Guide Tarp
  • 2 man tent
  • Thermo-Lite II Bivy Sack
  • Sleeping pad
  • Firestarting kit - matches in a matchcase, ferrocerium rods (2), fatwood slivers, cotton wool with vaseline
  • First-Aid Kit
  • Toiletries kit
  • Knapsack
  • Wool pants
  • Wool sweater
  • Wool socks
  • Winter jacket
  • Winter gloves
  • Wool hat
  • Book
  • Radio with extra batteries
  • Headlamp with extra batteries
  • Flares
  • Bag of salt
  • Rope
  • Shovel
Cheers,

Mungo

Wow...., and you still have room for people in the car too?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The back of my Peugot Boxer (lost every fight it entered and is technicaly punch drunk) is insulated and panelled out with 4mm ply.
Over the wheelarches I built 2 box seats and these are filled with all my kit and spares - fuel and tools on one side, camping kit and clothinfg the other. In full view as you get in the side door are my 1st aid kit (medics side pouch from a bergan) and fire extinguisher (which can be reached from the drivers seat as well)
An almost double bed size top (bed setee size matress fits perfectly) goes across the top
of the boxes for trips I know will be using the van as accom and the 'bed' has central legs as well as being hinged so I can access the boxes.
My hammock lives in the van and can be rigged through the window and the poorly fitting rear door onto the roof rack.
Winter or summer I am sorted if I get stuck anywhere.

EdS

decent steel bull bar, proper recovery point (to tow ball) and low ratio gears. Just gently push/pull the cars out of the way.:eek:

Normally, in most of England anyway, roads get closed by people not been able to drive in the 1 - 2 inches of snow that we get so nothing more than the usual gear. If my old Corsa would get through 6" on Rannock Moor a couple of inches does not make much difference to the Disco.

There again I learnt to drive in the snow (in a Metro)

And I can hang a hammock up side as well.

It fits quite nicely in my trunk and I have room left for groceries and other items I need to pick up from the shops. A long list doesn't necessarily mean a voluminous list folks...

I was just poking fun, it goods to poke fun at someone else sometimes considering how much of a hard time my friends give me over all the stuff I keep in my truck...not just in the winter months. The space behind my seats is always crammed with stuff...though only so many blades when I am doing a review or instruction....and this is before adding the extra winter supplies and replacing the tow strap that got killed on a work project (long story)
PICT1141.jpg

PICT1142.jpg

PICT1146.jpg

and then we have our smaller, personal kits, sometimes that's all we'll have in the car (as far as gear) on family outings, at other times I'll throw one or both of my packs in the trunck.

PICT0070.jpg

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I also carry two rubber foot/entryway mats in order to get out of a slippery situation. Place them under the stuck wheels, don't forget to connect the with a long piece of rope to the car (so if you get out of the slippery bit you won't have to stop because of the mats) and off you go.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Something to consider is a "plastic hose for fuel" we have them here that have a shaker valve on them so you don't have to suck petrol into you mouth to siphon with. Great for the emergency transfer of liquids.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I always keep a pair of wool blankets behind the seat in my pickup truck, along with an old rubberized army poncho. They stay in there year-round. Plus a small tool box, jumper cables, log chain, tire chains, hitch pins, several sections of rope, and several chunks of canvas. The first-aid kit and fire extinguisher also always stay in there. In winter I also add a pair of pull-on rubber overshoes/boots, a rolled up insulated coverall, plus mittens and stocking cap and scarf. The back of the pickup gets a pair of 10 gallon milk cans full of sand tied in by the tailgate - for extra weight/traction. And a can of wood stove ashes to spread on ice for traction - far better than sand. Some people put a bag of cat litter in - the clay sticks to ice better than sand. Plus the usual vehicle jack, but I also have a hydraulic bottle-jack in there as well - and a farm high-lift jack in the back. And always an iron scoop shovel - not those cr*p pieces of aluminum they call "snow shovels" and sell to city folk to clear their 20 to 30 feet of sidewalk and driveway.

But when I drive anywhere during winter, I also DRESS APPROPRIATELY!!!!!! I've seen way too many people dress like they were going to step into a nightclub and then drive off into a raging blizzard! They deserve whatever troubles they may encounter. For me it's rubber boots or insulate pack boots, heavy coat, possibly an insulated coverall, hat, scarf, and GLOVES!!!!!!! I've got friends who know better who consistently leave their gloves at home - even when temps are 10 below zero (F)! And then they whine about cold fingers, or freezing, or getting snow in their shoes.

I always plan on the possibility of a couple mile walk - in case something happens while driving in the winter. And I've had to assist far too many clueless people who had vehicle problems out in the winter snows. But I also live at least 20 miles one way from town, and many of the farm places around here no longer have anybody living there. So waiting for somebody to happen by to help me is not a good option. Another vehicle might not travel any road for a few hours to several days!

That piece of hand-held ear jewelry (a cell phone) would be nice ... sometimes. But I don't own one. And there are many places around me where they just don't work or get a signal - including my home valley. They are too flaky for me to ... rely upon ... in any emergency.

I always have some bottles of water in the truck, and occasionally some food. But I usually grab some of each when I head out to the vehicle.

But I tend to be more prepared than most. SO be it. Better safe by my own hand than end up on the evening news. I ain't waiting for anybody else to come along to save my sorry behind. Too often that ends up being TOO LATE!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. Even those couple years when I lived in a city and drove a car, it was packed in a pretty similar manner during winter - and year round.

forestwalker

Here in (this part of) Sweden I can expect temps down to -25 C or so, and plenty of snow (which can turn to wet slushy stuff over night).

In the car there is always:
tow rope,
jump leads
shovel always (Swedish army old style field shovel, with a detachable snowblade)
At least one knife
A largish pair of vice grips
Matches
A blanket.
Enough ratchet straps to worry a bondage club...
Usually a foam pad.
First aid kit (trauma oriented).
And an axe, must not forget the axe.
Sometimes a saw

In winter I add a daypack with a pair of insulated overpants (zip on) and an M90 insulated parka and an "Swedish Army Trangia" set. And if I'm not wearing them my Nokian winter boots with appropriate socks. I always wear good mittens and headgear, so that is covered.

I suppose I should add some food, but can't really be bothered (I know from experience that I can ski for a week or more on no food, so for any reasonable scenario is is fairly pointless).

Next winter I'll be living further north, so then I'll add some snowshoes or serviceable skis and poles (I might try making some siberian style snow-shoe skis this summer, which should fit better in the back of a Volvo than proper skis would).

Basic idea is the kit that would allow me to walk or ski home, or into the woods and digging a shelter should that be a better option than spending the night in the car.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE