Emergency Winter Car Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. To be safe, I carry several emergency items in the trunk of my car, in case I get bogged down in snow off the beaten track and have to spend a night or two somewhere without rescue.

Here is the list - would be interested in hearing feedback, or if anyone else carries emergency gear in their car trunk/boot:
  • MSR Dragonfly Stove with a full cannister of Naptha white-gas fuel
  • Alcohol-gel heating tins
  • Candles
  • Cooking pot and mugs
  • Cutlery
  • Kettle
  • 2 Nalgene Bottles
  • 5 litres of water in expandable plastic containers (in case of freezing)
  • Stainless Steel hobo stove which can use wood as a fuel
  • Gransfors-Bruks Small Forest Axe
  • Bucking saw
  • Mora knives (x3)
  • 4 wool blankets
  • Down sleeping bag
  • 2 MRE meal packs
  • Beef jerky
  • Pepperoni - large
  • 2 Freeze Dried Entrees
  • 4 tins Spam
  • Instant Rice
  • Instant soup mixes
  • Hot chocolate packages
  • Powdered milk
  • Heavy Tarpaulin
  • Light Guide Tarp
  • 2 man tent
  • Thermo-Lite II Bivy Sack
  • Sleeping pad
  • Firestarting kit - matches in a matchcase, ferrocerium rods (2), fatwood slivers, cotton wool with vaseline
  • First-Aid Kit
  • Toiletries kit
  • Knapsack
  • Wool pants
  • Wool sweater
  • Wool socks
  • Winter jacket
  • Winter gloves
  • Wool hat
  • Book
  • Radio with extra batteries
  • Headlamp with extra batteries
  • Flares
  • Bag of salt
  • Rope
  • Shovel
Cheers,

Mungo

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I spent 5 hours stuck on the Thelwall viaduct a couple of years ago in high winds and very heavy rain. I'd been to a funeral so was wearing a suit instead of my usual outdoorsdy gear and didn't have my usual kit with me. Mr and the missus got cold, thirsty and hungry, but at least we weren't out all night.

My car now has water, snack bars, blanket, sleeping bag, headtorch, those self heating hand warmers, cheap leatherman copy and a few other bits and bobs. I'm tempted to add a small cook set but can't help think that's going a bit far.

One thing I want to add but can't find anymore are those cans of coffee that heat themselves when opened , no doubt they taste awful but a hot brew is a hot brew.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I’d add a length of towing rope, a flat lifting strop, five carabineers (to make a pulley), some climbing rope.
Jump leads
Vacuum flask
And a loofah (long enough to fit between in the drivers window, it allows you to have the window open for ventilation, but stops the snow from blowing in.

I carry a BoB, along with a tarp, some wool blankets, fuel for my trangia, box of packet soup, a hobo stove. 24 hour rat pack, 2x2 litres of water.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I always put a "winter box" in the car.

• As well as all the usual stuff (food, drinks, stove, sleeping bag etc) I always pack a couple of good books and a few nightlight candles. After spending a very long night in a water pumping station, I realise that boredom is a a real problem when stranded!
  • I also carry a high viz vest with the spare wheel, if stranded in snow I would tie this to my car ariel to attract attention.
  • When snow is expected I always keep my fuel topped up, that way I can run the engine to keep warm. I was once told 10 minutes every hour is optimum, but remember to keep the exhaust clear of snow!
  • I work on the principle that my car is the shelter, so I aim to make myself comfortable in there until conditions improve or emergency services turn up. Lets face it, in Great Britain rescue is never far away and staying with the vehicle is just common sense.
I like the tip about the loofah - may well add one to the box!

Simon

Wayland

Hárbarðr
If you look at the first close up of the set up and imagine bringing the top pole over the lower one by moving the unseen pole end from left to right you can see it would wind the rope round the lower pole and move that to the top.

Now move the end of the new top pole over the new lower pole and repeat until your car is where you want it.

Difficult to explain but very simple in operation.

The second close up shows how the rope winds on.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Having been stuck in the middle of traffic I also carry a pee pot in the back of my van....and an icecream tub if the missus is along.....
My van was described as a "mobile survival shelter" by the Sunday Times and always carries everything from a hammock to jump leads by way of a change of clothes and cooking kit.
I often sleep out in the van if away from home at trade shows etc

Mind you it does put the fuel consumpion up a bit.....

If you look at the first close up of the set up and imagine bringing the top pole over the lower one by moving the unseen pole end from left to right you can see it would wind the rope round the lower pole and move that to the top.

Now move the end of the new top pole over the new lower pole and repeat until your car is where you want it.

Difficult to explain but very simple in operation.

The second close up shows how the rope winds on.

Ok, yes I worked that out, however what I can't work out is what stops the poles from just sliding due to the weight of the car or whatever? I would imagine the (alternate) pole that is on the ground would need to be pegged or fixed in some way to prevent it being slid?

Edit...just worked it out...

the rope away from the load being winched is fixed to a heavier object than is being winched! All I could see in the pics was a free rope with no mention of fixing! There's nothing new in using poles and ropes together as winches, Mor's is just a variation to allow you to pull more rope using two poles which is pretty clever and no doubt an adapted technique from cabin builders up north.

Oblio13

Settler
Sep 24, 2008
New Hampshire
oblio13.blogspot.com
I have a duffel bag with mittens, hat, neck gaiter, socks and a fleece. An axe, saw and shovel. A surplus Swedish messkit with Trangia burner. One of those 40-hour candles in a can. Large gauze pads and tape. Jumper cables. Sleeping bag and even a tent. (It has to be stored somewhere, why not the car's trunk?)

I was in college on the Canadian border during the blizzard of '78 when people spent three days in their cars. I'm probably a little paranoid since then.

stevec

Oct 30, 2003
Sheffield
the kochanski winch looks like a varient of the spanish windlass. useful to know how to make these types of things

steve

I have a duffel bag with mittens, hat, neck gaiter, socks and a fleece. An axe, saw and shovel. A surplus Swedish messkit with Trangia burner. One of those 40-hour candles in a can. Large gauze pads and tape. Jumper cables. Sleeping bag and even a tent. (It has to be stored somewhere, why not the car's trunk?)

I was in college on the Canadian border during the blizzard of '78 when people spent three days in their cars. I'm probably a little paranoid since then.

What are the gauze pads and tape for?

I was 8 in 1978 and remember there being ALOT of snow at one point, but don't specifically remember it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978
Just reading about it now...

I see a candle here: http://www.bestglide.com/Nuwick_120_Info.html - Is this similar to what you have?

Hope all is well!

Mungo

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
I dont think I could fit all that in my boot!

That looks like an expedition kit for a week, to save on petrol and weight, which may prevent you from getting stuck in the first place, I would reduce it to:

Candles
Metal mug
5 litres of water in expandable plastic containers (in case of freezing)
Small Axe
Folding saw
Knife x1
Wool blanket
Sleeping bag
2 MRE meal packs
Instant soup mixes
Brew kit
Light Guide Tarp
Sleeping pad
Matches and ferrocerium rod
First-Aid Kit
Wool sweater (I would already have these on)
Wool socks (I would already have these on)
Winter jacket (I would already have these on)
Winter gloves (I would already have these on)
Wool hat (I would already have these on)
Book
Radio with extra batteries
Torch
Flares
Rope
Shovel

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Mungo add a pair of felt insulated shoepacks or use only the felt insulation with a rubber over shoe, close of the front opening of felt insulation with an extra strip of felt and leather shoe lace to tie it off.

Add a crank operated radio and light

Mungo add a pair of felt insulated shoepacks or use only the felt insulation with a rubber over shoe, close of the front opening of felt insulation with an extra strip of felt and leather shoe lace to tie it off.

Add a crank operated radio and light

Excellent point. I forgot to mention that I have winter boots there already... but great advice. I slept in my car in -30 centigrade weather one night in Quebec, and while I was mostly warm, my feet got cold in my shoes.

Looks like we have 50 cm (foot and 2/3rds) of snow on the way, with snow squalls. Wahoo!!

I dont think I could fit all that in my boot!

That looks like an expedition kit for a week, to save on petrol and weight, which may prevent you from getting stuck in the first place, I would reduce it to:

Candles
Metal mug
5 litres of water in expandable plastic containers (in case of freezing)
Small Axe
Folding saw
Knife x1
Wool blanket
Sleeping bag
2 MRE meal packs
Instant soup mixes
Brew kit
Light Guide Tarp
Sleeping pad
Matches and ferrocerium rod
First-Aid Kit
Wool sweater (I would already have these on)
Wool socks (I would already have these on)
Winter jacket (I would already have these on)
Winter gloves (I would already have these on)
Wool hat (I would already have these on)
Book
Radio with extra batteries
Torch
Flares
Rope
Shovel

Yes, true - it sure is a lot. I luckily have a big car trunk. But generally in the fall I have a lot less, more like the kit you describe above. Now that the snows are coming, and I have seen folks not being able to get home for a few days, I'd rather have too much. Good point about the petrol though - I just have to make sure I fill up early.

Mungo

Dano

Forager
Nov 24, 2005
UK
Ok, yes I worked that out, however what I can't work out is what stops the poles from just sliding due to the weight of the car or whatever? I would imagine the (alternate) pole that is on the ground would need to be pegged or fixed in some way to prevent it being slid?

Edit...just worked it out...

the rope away from the load being winched is fixed to a heavier object than is being winched! All I could see in the pics was a free rope with no mention of fixing! There's nothing new in using poles and ropes together as winches, Mor's is just a variation to allow you to pull more rope using two poles which is pretty clever and no doubt an adapted technique from cabin builders up north.

I dont get it, I wish there was an example on youtube

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE