Electric Radiators. Effective VS Efficient

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I need to do a property refurb - B.I.L ( a builder ) has suggested I look at the more Modern Electric Radiators as a Possible Heating option.

Just canvasing for opinion from anyone in the building/electric/heating trade - are these really viable options now? I know technically all Electric Rads are near 100% efficient but does that mean that they are effective and a feasible heating option without burning a small hole in ones pocket to run???

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
StuMsg: Thanks for the link. I think the cost comparison chart applies fairly well in my region. Having said that, I'd be moving wood down the list as an economical consideration because it is cheap, plentiful and locally available. Do the math and price all of them for your circumstance.

My home (2 x 1200 sqft) has an oil fired central heating system. 10+ years ago, oil prices were climbing and there seemed to be no end to it.
So, I installed a compressed wood pellet heater/stove downstairs which does a good job of heating as much of the house as
I care to open up. I found that it is about 1/2 the cost of running the oil furnace. The first 3 winters (with temps as low as -20C) saved enough
to offset the capital cost of the pellet stove ( Harman PP38+ model). The annual cost for pellets is about 5 tons @$250/ ton, each about 125 in your money.

There have been many mornings over the winters where 30 minutes of electric heat to warm the room I'm in had to happen.
I suppose I should count that in the annual cost but I don't.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
So far as i have understood when my mom had her boiler done.

Gas is 3.3p a kwh
Electric is 10p a kwh

Modern gas boilers are 90%+ efficient

I wouldnt be thinking of it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It's not just the cost of the fuel/electricity though but the cost of the equipment, install and running costs. A gas boiler, for example, should have an annual service that costs £100 or so.

A decision would also depend greatly on the property, if it's well insulated there'll be lower running costs for whatever you choose so an electrical system might be worth looking at. We currently live in a modernish, well insulated 2 bed bungalow it only has electric heaters (some E7 storage) and our electrical bill is lower than the average household.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Reason for the question , There is No Gas in the Village. It currently has just MultiFuel Burner and Back Boiler feeding 6 Rads.
I didn't know if the latest advancements made Electrical Rads a credible second Choice as opposed to someone lugging in Wood and Coal through a Terraced House.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You have to factor in the lack of emb*ggerance and hassle.

Electric wins hands down.
It's clean, it's safe, it's efficient, and it works.
If your home is properly insulated/double glazed then it's thermally efficient and electric heating doesn't need additional airflow to ensure that you don't suffocate or breathe in toxic fumes, or the fire and boiler burn cleanly, and you don't need a corgi engineer to hook you up either.

Cost comparison's aren't fixed…..just change supplier and the prices drop, and it's easy to do nowadays. The companies aren't loyal to you, you don't owe them anything except the prompt payment for the electricity you use.

Electric heating is also mobile….as in you can change the configuration of the home with ease. So the radiator/storage heater/fireplace that suits where it is in Winter time can be easily stored out of the way to make room for a Summer lay out….plants on windowsills and the like as well as open doors and wide spaces for family gatherings. Easy to re-decorate or change rooms around too.

If you can put in underfloor heating, properly insulated below, then it's brilliant :) but, and it's a big but, it's not an instant heat. It's a lovely (appreciate the floor :) sprawl out on rugs/floor quilts/beanbags, etc.,) gentle warmth slowly diffusing throughout the room. I would keep a radiant fire too, just for when coming in and everyone's chilled, or it's a miserable dreich night and it's late on and you don't want a hot house going to bed soon, but just a wee heat while you wind down. Ours isn't on often, but it's a pleasure just for that instant heating.

I've been eyeing up electric skirting board radiators. It's expensive to install, but it's just so tidy, so neat and unintrusive. Very tempted.
Himself believes that all gas should be pumped to the power stations and turned into electricity. We have a gas boiler for our radiators, and it's a pain of a thing to mind. It needs serviced, cleaned, primed, etc., etc.,
When it dies we're having electricity.
Our shower is electric, but I believe it could be expensive to heat the water for three or four baths a day using electricity. We just shower, so it's not an issue.
The washing machine is electric, so is the cooker. I wouldn't have gas now, and I don't care what the folks claim about it being slow to heat up and cool down, it's very good and it quickly becomes normal. You can't switch off a campfire either, so gas is the anomally, not the electric :)

The whole clean and easy wins hands down for me. I have lived with the fireplace being the only source of heat and hot water. It quickly becomes drudgery. Day in day out, spring, summer, autumn and winter, every single day in life. If you don't do it, the house is cold, lifeless, and even washing isn't easy.
Modern life means folks don't have hours to spend cleaning, feeding, dealing with coal, soot and ash.
I would like the potential to have a real fire, but I do not want to have only a 'real' fire. I like the one I switch on :)

Price wise ? I don't know. I do know that when all the other factors are taken into account though, that I think electricity wins.
There are also government funds available for solar powered installation on roofs. The trickle of money back supposedly offsets the costs and leaves a small profit….that helps pay the electricity bill :)

M

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have a gas package but it's only cheaper here because I have access to the mains (meaning Natural gas vs the more expensive Propane or Butane) My package includes the stove/cooker/oven, the heat, the water heater, and the dryer. That said, I chose the package because I prefer the heat from the gas (it doesn't dry out my sinuses quite as bad as electric) and I prefer cooking on gas. Also the gas doesn't go out after a hurricane.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Air source heat pump is another option, electric powered but anything up to 4 times more efficient than resistive electric heating depending on outside temp, when it drops very low outside it does go down in efficiency, but worse case scenario is a factor of 1 so no better than normal electric rads

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
erm...what happens in a power cut?

I know power cuts are rare, but when they happen it does tend to be in winter.

Our gas combi won't fire in a power cut anyway, it can't spark.

I've got a cheapo Gelert tent heater that runs on the torpedo gas canisters. I don't leave it running, but it does take the chill off a bedroom. Woodburner does the living areas.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Our electricity cables are all buried. The gas pipes are too though….but the electricity isn't thousands of miles of potential pipe bombs.
The gas central heating won't work without the electricity being on anyway.
Power cuts really are rare here, and I have decent camping kit to tide us over in an emergency. That said, I mind power cuts that really were power cuts, modern ones are just blips and normal service is restored pdq :)

M

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have lived in a damp house; so damp that water ran off the windowsills to fill buckets, where mould grew behind every piece of furniture, on every ceiling, in every cupboard. I have none of the usual mementoes of infant children, they were all destroyed by mildew. We moved, thankfully, and I won't ever live in a damp house again. Electric dehumidifiers are absolutely brilliant, and better yet, they're a win/win :) They take out water and they give out warm air :D
Worth every penny.

Thinking on it, if the dehumidifier is on (it's the size of a portable gas fire, and we move it into cupboards and the like as we feel the need) then mostly we don't need heating on. It really does gently warm the air in the room. Certainly enough to happily extend the off period on the radiators.
Seems to be very efficient too, and doesn't cost much to run…..and no damp :D

We have these ones (two of them, just so I don't need to lug it up and down stairs)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meaco-DD8L-...460645052&sr=1-5&keywords=meaco+dehumidifiers

Honestly, worth every penny :)

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Power cuts really are rare here, and I have decent camping kit to tide us over in an emergency. That said, I mind power cuts that really were power cuts, modern ones are just blips and normal service is restored pdq :)

M

Mostly true here as well. The only real exception would be natural disasters (hurricanes and floods) where it might take weeks to fully restore power. Ironically flooding might disrupt even buried electric lines; but so far has rarely (as in never to my personal knowledge) disrupted either gas or electric supplies.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Not if you've draught-proofed it won't.

You need air circulation to remove damp. Or prevent the damp from forming in the first place.

That's a bit difficult to achieve with an older house, particularly mid-terrace with party walls.

It will Mr Charly, read it all, the circulation is an inherant part of thesystem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE