edible tree leaves, pignuts.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longbow lad

May 3, 2006
southampton
ive heard that hawthorn leaves can be eaten - can they?

also what about some of the others like birch, beech etc

mr mears eats lime leaves but im not really sure how to identify them without a filed guide to trees.

im also trying to identify pignuts. - pictures anyone?

any help?

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
Yes Hawthorn leaves can be eaten as can beech leaves, they are best when young and tender like they are at the moment.I have read that birch leaves can be used as a herbal tea to treat rheumatism and bladder complaints and they reduce cholesterol.Lime trees are fairly easily recognised if you refer to a good field guide such as the dorling kindersly books.I do not have any pictures of pignut for you im afraid , the plants are not in flower at the moment anyway in my area which would be an aid to the identification for you.

Hi Longy,

There is a good description of pignuts here

basically they are in woodland and at the moment are around 8 - 12" tall, with tiny white flowers and tiny delicate leaves that look like dill.

Hawthorn leaves are ok if a little bland.

A good book is 'food for free' by richard mabey - comes in a pocket guide and a full sized version.

Neil

Reactions: Biddlesby

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I remember one of my older brothers using Hawthorn leaves to add to a salad when I was a nipper and being fairly unimpressed with the flavour, not tried it since.

Also I remember digging practice golf holes (again as a nipper) in our back field and finding some pignuts, you know sometimes you eat something in the wild and you can understand why it isn't cultivated?

Pignut isn't one of those, they are really nice and quite sweet in an earthy way

Interesting that it's described as a woodland species though as the field we found them in was nothing like woodland about as bleak a field as you would ever find.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Young beech leaves are edible - they also make a very good liqueur called noyaux (do a search for this here to find a recipe :D)

Birch can also be eaten, but as with most tree leaves, their don't tend to be many that are highly tasty, and usually the stuff growing on the ground neaqrby is going to be tastier :rolleyes:

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I actually think fresh young hawthorn leaves are quite tasty. They were known as 'bread and cheese' in some parts. You have to remember that wild food may not be as tasty as salad in a bag from sainsbury's which has been crossed, re-crossed and developed over the years, but having said that lettuce plain on it's own is hardly T-bone steak either. Crab apples are very sour but that's where your granny smith's etc originated from.

Bushpig

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2005
www.spiritgarden.co.uk
Yes,..and itshould also be noted that our taste pallets take time to adjust..dont throw out a food after first trial, I remember on a survivalweekend I tried some blackberry tea..first night I thought it was awful but over the weekend I got quite a taste for it ! Our taste buds are very fickle to our day to day supermarket nosh and you need to break em in a bit!

Booooosh

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I took my muvver for a walk in the woods with my dog last weekend in the New Forest and fed her wood sorrel, birch leaves, hawthorn leaves and apple blossom and she quite liked it. I think that young birch leaves taste just like lettuce and are quite nice. Then I got her to make a little fire using the firesteel and some birch bark, and then with some lichen. Took her a few goes to get the knack but she was really impressed with herself as she wouldn't normally do things like this. You're never too old to learn something new...

Venger

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
Nottingham
Just a note of caution, if you are popping 'out of work' to eat tree leaves - be aware of where the trees are, many are road side and absord all kinds of nasty things.
(In fact some trees are planted for that very reason - london plane for example)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
falling rain said:
I actually think fresh young hawthorn leaves are quite tasty.

Yup I agree, You may be able to spot one or two in the salad myself and the Joker had the other weekend, along with Ramson and wood sorrel. Had some pig nuts too for the first time and they were delicious :D

146445912_669dde5470.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE