Eats shoots and leaves

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
This was my final night pass from SWMBO as we have a baby due in 5 weeks. So I headed off to the woods for the night with my brother Bevan, fellow bushcrafter Jamie (BusbcraftBob) and my brother friends Barry and Dave who I have been out camping with before.

Jamie and myself turned up aroud 3.30 and setup and the other guys turned up about 6pm.

My Setup
setup1.jpg

setup2.jpg

setup3.jpg

Jamies setup
setup4.jpg

setup5.jpg

That was all the setup as Bevan, Barry and Dave slept around the fire with just a foam roll mat and sleeping bag.

Around Camp
around1.jpg

around2.jpg

around3.jpg

Dave has recently started to learn how to carve woodspirits, this was his first spirit and he was working on the second in the woods
ws.jpg

around4.jpg
[/FONT]

Bevan Zeroed in his rifle
around5.jpg

around6.jpg

cook1.jpg

cook2.jpg

cook3.jpg

cook4.jpg

Jamie and I did some bow drill practice

Jamie burning the first hole in
J1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

Jamie had gathered some damp grass and dried it by the fire.
j4.jpg

T1.jpg

Jamie and myself then took the guys though the bow drill letting them have a go themselves.

Bevan was a natural and with his first attempt got an ember.
l1.jpg

l2.jpg

Barry struggled with technique but after a few adjustments got a smooth action going.
l3.jpg

Dave when 1000mph using about 3 inches of the bow, but it worked
l4.jpg

with a bit of help stablising the hearth.
l5.jpg

Thankfully the guys said you two make it look easy, but still always learning.

As we had permission to shoot Bevan and Dave went out with the air rifle and came back with a rabbit.
shoot1.jpg

Jamie is an old hand and preparing the rabbit so took Dave though step by step. Dave did a great job and soon the rabbit was cooking.
shoot2.jpg

shoot3.jpg

The rest of the night was spent around the campfire enjoying each other company and stories.
Night time marshmallow and choc hobnobs. Yummy!!
night1.jpg

After seeing a thread a while ago I tested a 35mm film canister on the Hugsby torch to turn it into a lantern. It worked really well and dispersed the light well.
night2.jpg

night3.jpg

Next day Bevan, Barry and Dave headed off around 10am, leaving Jamie and myself to sort out the place and having a brew before heading off around 12pm

Great time for my last night out in a few months and hope you enjoyed this report.

Thanks

Last edited:

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
I don't normal put my loadout, but I feel at the moment I have something that really works for me

Load1.jpg

Summer Sleeping bag
Exped downmat dlx
Exped air pillow xl and Stuff sack pillow, as I am side sleeper this gives me perfect support and when wrapped in scarf it hold together well.
3x3 DD tarp
Groudsheet
Ridgeline, guys and pegs
Hygiene kit
Fak
Food pack
Spare cordage
Water bottles
Mug
Sat
Pouch

Pouch contents
Load2.jpg

Silva head torch
Torch and 35mm film canister
Glowtoob
Lighter an ferror rod.
Tin of magic biscuits
Spare batteries
Small cuts and pain pills
Good old Nordic summer.

Last edited:

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Looks like a great o/nighter, and a nice looking perm. Now go and look after her indoors!......:)

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Thanks all, had a great time.

I am already feeling the itch to get out again :lmao:

Looks like you all had a good time. That wood spirit is awesome.
For his first one I am well impressed. Dave says he has no artistic talent at all, which I find hard to believe.
The first one was done in from of YouTube and he says took him about 14 hrs, but now he is free styling it. Can not wait to see what he comes up with in the future.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE