Eating small fish raw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Is it really safe to eat small fish raw without gutting them? It makes little sense to me, as even a small fishes guts are big enough for bacteria right?

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Niels,

Depends on size and how cooked, wee fish cooked very hot should kill everything. Don't you eat Whitebait LINK in the Netherlands? Would also depend on the fish, things like stikkleback might catch the throat.

GB

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Hi Niels,

Depends on size and how cooked, wee fish cooked very hot should kill everything. Don't you eat Whitebait LINK in the Netherlands? Would also depend on the fish, things like stikkleback might catch the throat.

GB

We eat various types of raw fish here, like herring. But always gutted.
But I heard someone say you don't have to gut a small fish to eat it raw. And I don't believe it. I mean, a bacteria can fit into a small fish too right?

I have actually eaten raw rud once, tasted similar to raw herring but less salty. Most fish just taste better cooked.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry Niels, missed the vital word raw in your first post. I've heard of folk eating whole raw fish in the Philippines,though they do "cook" it by using citrus fruit a bit like ceviche but whole. doubt it would penetrate the fishes gut though. If the fish was from a clean source and healthy I'd risk it, especially if hungry, folks have lived off of raw sea urchins, mussells and limpits, again from clean sources. One of the reasons our forebares stuck to the coast, lots of easy protien. Speak to a doctor or nutritionist and see what they say.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I think it's not really the bacteria in the fish is the reason why it's said you don't need to gut them. I think it's more the case with regards to remove the bones. Bacteria will be spread on the fish after gutting - they aren't washed that well after preparation. Just have a close look at the fishmonger doing his job at your local weekly market.
You read John Wiseman's book? He writes not to (gut and) remove bones from fish under 7cm. My interpretation would be that the bones of these small fish can easily be chewed on, with causing you to choke ... Though, I don't like fish anywhere remotely, so my interpretation could be wrong ;)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Sorry Niels, missed the vital word raw in your first post. I've heard of folk eating whole raw fish in the Philippines,though they do "cook" it by using citrus fruit a bit like ceviche but whole. doubt it would penetrate the fishes gut though. If the fish was from a clean source and healthy I'd risk it, especially if hungry, folks have lived off of raw sea urchins, mussells and limpits, again from clean sources. One of the reasons our forebares stuck to the coast, lots of easy protien. Speak to a doctor or nutritionist and see what they say.

Good idea, my cousin's a nutrionist. I'll ask her. I have eaten a lot of raw oysters from my local sea and never got ill.

The goal of this thread for me is to know if you could for example catch sticklebacks from ponds and eat them raw. (Not that I would for fun, but it would be good to know you could)

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I think it's not really the bacteria in the fish is the reason why it's said you don't need to gut them. I think it's more the case with regards to remove the bones. Bacteria will be spread on the fish after gutting - they aren't washed that well after preparation. Just have a close look at the fishmonger doing his job at your local weekly market.

I hadn't even thought of that. If there were dangerous bacteria in the guts of say- a herring, you would consume those too due to a lack of hygiene.:p But then fishgut is probably not bad for you as I've never heard of anyone getting sick from herrings.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'd watch the spines on the sticklebacks - could cause irritation with their stickles which are a defence against getting eaten, Eskimos seamingly wont eat raw fish bigger than say sardine size without boning first due to the risk of bigger bones damaging the gut.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I thought there was an issue with worms in the stomach of small un-gutted fish and thought this came to light with boquerones en vinagre which I thought was almost banned in Spain at on point? Bearing in mind these are 'cooked' in vinegar surely raw fish would be even more likely carry the worms?

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I wouldn't eat any fish raw, cured; vinegar lemon juice smoked salted yes, but not raw unless I really really was starving. Small fish, sprats white bait etc just cook and eat whole.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE