Dyeing leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I've just dyed a belt with the normal Fieblings mahogany leather dye. Before I trash a number of jeans/trousers do I need to coat it with something to stop the dye leeching into clothing? I normally just give the outer face a coating of carnuba cream.

Wetneck

Oct 6, 2013
South Coast - UK
Same as above, 50/50 with Resolene and water then Carnauba (I use a sort of thin paste applied sparingly)

Resolene is a great product but in the first few times I tried it the results were mixed, it's one that you need to find the best way to work with your methods, if that makes sense?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Whys that mate? If you put the resolene on first, will it not put up a barrier which will prevent the carnauba getting into the leather, rendering the carnauba stage pointless? And if not, why are you putting resolene on if it doesn't provide the barrier, which is its sole purpose/?

I use a couple of coats of resolene mixed 50/50 with water and then carnauba cream

Dreadhead

I see the carnauba as more of a conditioner, and don't think it fully waterproofs the leather so the resolene is the water proof and the carnauba to soften and buff to a shine. You may be right though about getting them done in the right order, iv tried both ways and have had no problems as long as both are used and not just one if them

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Fair enough mate :)

I tried resolene... didn't like it, so i switched to mink oil. I oil the leather before i dye it... though you need oil dyes to do that, then oil it again after the dye, then carnauba cream. This is my preferred method. Darkens the colour up a bit though. Turns a tan into a light to mid brown. The carnauba gives it the shine, but i dont rely on it for waterproofing either :)

I have some atom wax that i have not used yet... gonna give that a go at some point.

I see the carnauba as more of a conditioner, and don't think it fully waterproofs the leather so the resolene is the water proof and the carnauba to soften and buff to a shine. You may be right though about getting them done in the right order, iv tried both ways and have had no problems as long as both are used and not just one if them

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Unless you think the belt will get very wet, you can do without the resolene.

I dye, buff, carnauba crème, buff, neatsfoot oil, buff. Never has come off on my clothes yet. What you should worry about is if you use edge cote. That has come off on me a few times.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
i use carnuba creme first and then resolene 50/50 mix, i find this way the carnuba really gets into the leather and makes it a lot more supple, then the resolene gives it the waterproof coating it needs

Just my 2 cents

Dave

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have seen items treated with Resolene that look plastic coated, which is why I do not use it (plus the extra cost :) ) - I have belts that are in daily use and have been for years that have nothing but boot polish (renewed on the odd occasion when I want to look super smart - about once every 5 years) and have never had a dye leak (Punch/dylon dyes) the only dye leak I ever had from a belt was years ago when one I bought in a high street shop poured its dye into my new trekking trousers in tropical sweat and canoe soaked conditions...
If I have not dyed the leather I tend to use Nikwax, for re-enactment leathers I just use Neetsfoot oil and beeswax mix.
For the edges of belts I find a good burnishing is all that is needed...

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I find resolene is best used with Fiebings professional dyes. I use it as is, applied with a damp sponge. It takes a bit of practice, but it's a great finsih once you get the hang of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE